Edward Spencer Meara
|Birthplace:||Ballynakill Parish, Waterford, Ireland|
|Death:||Died in Middlesex, England|
Son of George Emilius James Meara, Esquire and Honorable Sarah Ward
|Occupation:||Royal Navy Commander|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Commander Edward Spencer Meara
Edward Spencer Meara, captain of the vessel HMS Nymphe used in anti-slavery operations in the late 1860s off the coast of Africa.
Edward Spencer Meara, step-father of William, Ernest and Edith Renshaw, died on 15 June 1886, in Kensington, London; he was 56. The cause of death is not known. He left a personal estate valued at £19,659, 12s, 6d.
Reference: ADM 196/13/315 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/D7586945?... Description:
- Name Meara, Edward Spencer
- Date of Birth: 09 June 1830
- Rank: Commander
- Date of enrolment: 04 April 1851
From Anne-Marie Healy-Kalishoek
According to his marriage registration his father's name was George. I found George back as a tenant in the parish of BALLYNAKILL County Waterford in 1852.
- Family Name 1 MEARA
- Forename 1 GEORGE
- Landlord Nicholas M Power
- County WATERFORD
- Barony DECIES WITHOUT DRUM
- Union WATERFORD
- Parish BALLYNAKILL
- Place Name BALLYNAKILL
- Place Type PARISH
In the parish are several gentlemen's seats, of which the principal are May Park, the residence of George Meara, Esq., pleasantly situated near the banks of the Suir, and commanding some fine views; Mount Pleasant, the handsome residence of S. King, Esq., near the high road; Belmont, the seat of J. Roberts, Esq., situated near the river; and Ballynakill House, the property of N. Power, Esq., now occupied by a tenant. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Waterford, with the vicarages of Ballygunner, Kilma-cleague, read more : http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/B/Ballynakill-Gaultier-Waterfor...
Tithe applotment George Meara, Ballynakill http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//00458740...
Maypark is listed in the occupancy of George Meara Esq in the Slater’s Directory of 1846. The property consisted of house, offices and land with a total area over 46 acres. It was valued at £181.5 shillings. A Thomas Mack Murray was listed as the occupier of the gate house which was valued at £2 5 shillings.