|Also Known As:||"Edmond Butler"|
|Birthplace:||Dunboyne Castle, Priestown, County Meath, Ireland|
|Death:||Died in Ireland|
|Cause of death:||died in prison|
Son of James Butler, 10th Baron Dunboyne and Lady Joan Butler (Butler)
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Edmund Butler, 1st/11th Baron Dunboyne
Edmond Butler, 1st/11th Baron Dunboyne (d. 1566), was created 1st Baron Dunboyne, co. Meath [Ireland] on 11 June 1541; elevated to the peerage on 11/06/1541. He died in May 1567, in prison.1,3
Parents: the son of James Butler, 10th Baron Dunboyne and Joan Butler.2
- before 27 July 1551 Julia MacCarthy. She was also known as Cecily Mac CARTHY (C. Clanricarde) and was the dau. of Cormac Og MacCarthy, 1° V. Muskerry, and Margaret O'Brien) (m.2 Richard Burgh, 2° E. Clanricarde) (fn1)
Child of Edmund Butler, 1st/11th Baron Dunboyne
- unknown daughter Butler+4
Children of Edmund Butler, 1st/11th Baron Dunboyne and Julia MacCarthy
- Hon. Eleanor Butler+5 d. 1636 who married Gerald FITZGERALD (15° E. Desmond) AFT 1551
- James Butler, 2nd/12th Baron Dunboyne+2 b. c 1547, d. 8 Feb 1624/25
22.214.171.124.2.1.3 Sir Edmund Butler, 11th Lord Dunboyne; d. May 1567, prison; knted bef. 1541; cr. 1st Baron Dunboyne 1541.
a= dau b=c(bef. 27 July 1551) Julia McCarthy; dau of Cormac Og MacCarthy, Chief of Muskerry.
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52 a dau
= Piers Butler (a quo Butler, Barons of Caher)
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11 b Hon. Eleanor Butler; d. 1636.
=(bef. 11 Jan 1567/8) Gerald FitzJames FitzGerald, 14th Earl of Desmond; b. ca. 1533; d. 11 Nov 1583.
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124 b James Butler, 12th Lord Dunboyne; b. ca. 1547; d. 8 Feb 1624/5. See below.
- The Barony of Dunboyne was created by patent in the Peerage of Ireland in 1541. The barons are alternately numbered from the early 14th century by numbers ten greater than the number dating to the patent (e.g. the 28th/18th Baron Dunboyne died May 19, 2004). The first baron of this sequence in turn married the heiress to an earlier line of Barons Dunboyne.
- Arms: Or a Chief indented Azure overall three Escallops in bend counterchanged
- Crest: Out of a Ducal Coronet Or a Plume of five Ostrich Feathers and issuant therefrom a Demi Falcon rising Argent
- Dexter: a Lion guardant Argent; Sinister: a Horse Sable maned tailed and hoofed Or
- Motto: Timor Domini Fons Vitae (The fear of the Lord is the fountain of life)
- [S2] Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 410. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage, Volume XIV.
- [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume IV, page 516. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1212. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 466.
- [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume IV, page 253.
- Dunboyne, Baron (I, 1541)
- Edmond [Butler], 1st Baron Dunboyne. 1st son of James Butler, 10th Lord of Dunboyne, co. Meath, by his wife Lady Joan Butler, dau. of Piers [Butler], 8th Earl of Ormonde born mar.Cecilia, dau. of Cormac Oge Macarthy, of Muskerry died12 May 1567 created 11 Jun 1541 Baron Dunboyne suc. byson (Cracrofts Peerage)
Edmund Butler, 1st/11th Baron Dunboyne's Timeline
Dunboyne Castle, Priestown, County Meath, Ireland
Burnchurch, , Kilkenny, Ireland
May 12, 1567