|Birthplace:||Eastham, Plymouth, Massachusetts|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Son of John Gray, of Yarmouth and Hannah Gray
|Managed by:||Andrea Bernadette Twiss-Brooks|
Matching family tree profiles for Edward Gray
About Edward Gray
- 'Genealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley; a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation; (1914) Vol. 2
- (I) John Gray, the founder of this family, lived in Yarmouth, Massachusetts, where he died in 1674. He is said to have married Hannah, daughter of William Lumpkin, one of the founders and prominent citizens of Yarmouth. Children : Benjamin, born December 7, 1648; William, born October 5, 1650: Mary, married, June 10, 1680, Benjamin Ryder ; 'Edward, of whom further' ; John, died March 31, 1732, married Susannah Clark; Gideon.
- ' (II) Edward, son of John and Hannah (Lumpkin) Gray, was born in Yarmouth, and died there. He married, in Plymouth, July 16, 1684, Melatiah, daughter of George Lewis, of Brewster. Children : Priscilla, born October 18, 1686; Gideon, born September 6, 1688; John, born July 26, 1691, married Hannah ; Melatiah, born June 6, 1694; Mercy, born April 13, 1696; Edward, of whom further.
- 'History of Cape Cod: Annals of Barnstable County (1862)
- 1 Mr. JOHN GRAY was in Y. 1643, and d. 1574. By Hannah, his w., he had Benj. Dec. 7, 1648; Wm. Oct. 5, 1650; Mary, who m. Benj. Ryder 1670; 'Edward'; John; and Gideon. JOHN, of H., s. of John of Y., m. Susanna Clark, dr. of Andrew, and d. Mar. 31, 1732. He had a large family: perhaps Lot; Susanna, who m. Nath'l Sears 1712; Hannah; Thomas; Edward; certainly, by Susannah, Samuel, 1731; Lydia 1702; Sarah 1704; who prob. m. Watson Freeman 1724; Mehit. 1706, who m. John Dillingham Jr.; Andrew Sept. 29, 1707; Anne 1709, d. y.; Elisha Nov. 29, 1711; Joshua Oct. 19, 1713, who d. 1735; and Anna Nov. 30, 1714, who m. Thacher Freeman 1732. We aim at accuracy, but would be understood to admit the difficulty we find in attaining to certainty in all cases. The genealogical data of the highly respectable family of Grays is to our mind, somewhat complicated. An EDWARD Gray was in Ply. 1643, a youth, became a merchant, rep. in 1676-8, and d. 1681. He m. Mary Winslow, dr. Jno., Jan. 16, 1650, who d. 1663, and 2d Doroty Lettis, dr. Thos., Dec. 12, 1665, and had Desire Feb. 24, 1651, who m. Lt. Nath'l Southworth; Mary Sept. 18, 1653; Eliz. Feb. 11, 1658; Sarah Aug. 12, 1659; and, Mr. Savage says, John Oct. 1, 1661; but, in our notes it is Samuel, prob. a mistake. He had also, by 2d m., Edward Jan. 31, 1666; and Susanna Oct. 15, 1668. 'EDWARD, of Y., genealogist say "prob. s. of 1st John," m. Melatiah Lewis, dr. Geo. of Be., July 16, 1694, and had Priscilla Oct. 8, 1686; Gideon Sept. 6, 1688; John July 26, 1691; Melatiah June 6, 1694; and Mercy Ap. 13, 1696. See gen. continued in Annals of Brewster.
- Parents: Father: John II GRAY & Hannah LUMPKIN
- Priscilla SPARROW
- Melatiah LEWIS