Is your surname Whiting?

Research the Whiting family

Edwin Whiting's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

Edwin Whiting

Birthdate: (81)
Birthplace: Lee, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, United States
Death: December 8, 1890 (81)
Mapleton, Utah County, Utah Territory, United States
Place of Burial: Springville, Utah County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Elisha Whiting, Jr. and Sally Whiting
Husband of Almira Mehitable Whiting; Mary Ann Whiting; Hannah Haines Brown; Elizabeth Partridge Whiting; Elizabeth Cox and 1 other
Father of Edward Lucian Whiting; Ellen Ameret Whiting; Katherine Emeline Whiting; Cornelia Dolly Perry; Elisha Franklin Whiting and 27 others
Brother of William E Whiting; Charles Whiting; Catherine Louisa Talcott; Emeline Sally Cox; Chauncy Whiting, Sr. and 5 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Edwin Whiting

See other photos about Edwin Whiting under the Media Tab above, including his house, a tree he planted, a marker placed by the tree and his gravestone marker.

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868 Ezra T. Benson Company (1849) Age 39, Departure: 15 July 1849, Arrival: 25-29 October 1849.

HISTORY OF EDWIN WHITING, Compiled by Jennie Bird Hill, daughter of Abby Ann Whiting, daughter of Edwin and Hannah Whiting, 1919

“About the year 1800, in the little town of Lee, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, near the border of New York, lived the family of Elisha and Sally Hulett Whiting. Elisha Whiting's father was a sea captain and lived in Connecticut. He died when Elisha was very young. His mother, not knowing what else to do, bound him to an old Quaker, who was very cruel to him, and after a few years, he ran away to Massachusetts and worked on a farm with a wheelwright. Here he was married to Sally Hulett. They were highly respected, honest, generous and firm in their convictions.

Elisha Whiting followed the trade of wagon and chair maker and did his work well. His wife was very gifted in making prose and poetry, a characteristic that has been bequeathed to many of the Whiting descendants. To Elisha and Sally Whiting, twelve children were born, eight sons and four daughters as follows: (1) Charles, (2) William, (3) Edwin, (4) Charles, (5) Katherine Louisa, (6) Harriet, (7) Sally Emeline, (8) Chauncey, (9) Almond, (10) Jane, (11) Sylvester, and (12) Lewis. Edwin Whiting was born September 9, 1809, the third child of this family.

When he was six years old, his parents moved to Nelson, Portage County, Ohio. At that time, it was the western frontier of the U.S.A. but probably the very thing his father wished to be to get a suitable timber for his trade, for the support of his large family.

Edwin Whiting's chance for education was very limited, but they were all taught the “3 R’s”,Readin', Ritin', and Rithmetic, and he wrote an legible hand, an extraordinary feat for his time. At an early age, he wrote credible verse. His early life in the forest, no doubt, accounts for his love of the out-of-doors, the beauties of nature, the trees, the flowers, the mountains and the desire to hunt. One Sunday morning, when but a small boy, he decided to go hunting. He knew this was contrary to his parent's teachings, so he tried to draw his gun through the cracks between the logs of his bedroom and go unmolested. His gun caught and was discharged, inflicting a serious wound in his left arm. This, he said, was a lesson to observe the Sabbath Day and to obey his parents.

He learned the chair making trade from his father and his workmanship was considered very good. In 1833, when Edwin was twenty-four years old, he married Elizabeth Partridge Tillotson, an Ohio girl of French descent. She was a highly educated school teacher, quite an accomplishment for those days.

In 1837, the Gospel was brought to the Whiting family. Edwin and his wife, his father and mother and some of his brothers and sisters joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They were baptized by Thomas Marsh in 1838. Here, as in the time of Christ and His Apostles, the humble, hard-working class of people were the ones to listen and accept the Gospel of truth. They were among the early members of the church and soon joined the saints in Kirtland, Ohio.

Testimony of Joseph Smith

By Edwin Whiting My children, I have guarded the prophet Joseph Smith while he slept; I have guarded him while he walked the earth. I have slept at his side. I have felt the power of God in his life. I have seen the mantel of the Holy Ghost hover over him. I have received the witness that I know that he is and he was a prophet of the living God, and I want you children, may family to honor him and to honor each succeeding prophet following him because your security in the kingdom of God and your security in the church depends upon your full allegiance in the prophets in the earth. This testimony I leave with you and I know that he was indeed a prophet of the living God.

It was here that their trials, hardships and persecutions began and it took true manhood, womanhood and faith in God to endure. They were forced to leave their new comfortable home, complete with furniture, orchards and land in Kirtland, Ohio, and took only their clothing and a few valued relics and went to Far West, Missouri. By this time, Edwin and Elizabeth had four children: William, Helen Amelia, Sarah Elizabeth and Emily Jane. They were only in Far West a short time and had just built a new home, when the mob, several thousand strong, ordered them out. Every house in the village was burned except father Elisha Whiting’s, which was spared because he was so sick they could not move him. We remember of hearing aunt Elizabeth tell how she sat on the pile of bedding far into the night with little daughter Jane in her arms. Little Jane died soon after from exposure and lack of proper food. Sarah clapped her hands at the big bonfire the mob had made with their fences and the select wood from her father's chair shop. They were compelled to flee again so they joined the saints at Lima in father Morley's branch, where Edwin Whiting acted as counselor to brother Morley.

For Several years, the saints were happily building up the city of Nauvoo, and their temple. Here they worshiped God without so much persecution as they had experienced at Lima. Edwin was appointed Colonel in the Nauvoo Legion and was an active worker at all times for the up-building of His Church. Through the advice of those in authority, and for a righteous purpose, he entered the law of plural marriage. On January 3rd 1845, he married Almira Meacham. The following year, January 27, 1846, they were sealed in the Nauvoo Temple, and also to Mary Elizabeth Cox, his third wife.

That same year, he was called on a mission to Pennsylvania and was there at the time of the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum Smith. He soon returned home and took up arms with his brethren to protect his property and the lives of his family.

During the battle of the Crooked River, his brother Charles was killed. Still a greater test awaited him, his brothers, Almond, Sylvester, Chauncey and Lewis and his sister, Louisa did not feel that Brigham Young should be the leader of the Church so they followed Alpheus Cutler and called themselves "Cutlerites" and moved up into Clitherall, Minnesota. To this day they hold tenaciously to the teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. They still correspond with the children of Edwin Whiting, and have given us, for temple work, an extensive genealogy of the Whiting family.

Edwin Whiting, his families, his father and mother stayed with the saints, who were compelled to move west as far as Mt. Pisgah, (now known as Talmadge) Iowa. There they stayed to prepare for the journey across the plains. The dreaded disease, cholera, took the father and mother of Edwin, his little brother and little daughter, Emily Jane. Their names are on the monument lately erected at that place in memory of those who died there. So many of his family were sick at one time, that there was no one well enough to get the sick ones a drink, but even in those trying times, they still had faith and rejoiced in the Gospel, for the Lord was with them.

Emeline, a sister of Edwin, married Fredrick Walter Cox and the two families were as one big family for years. They established a chair factory and hauled the chairs to Quincy, Illinois where they were sold. From this and their crops, they prepared to come west. Aunt Mary taught school two terms and helped the family some. While at Mt.Pisgah, three children were born. Albert Milton was born to Mary. Oscar Newell was born to Elizabeth, and Catherine Emeline was born to Almira.

In April, 1849, Edwin and Emeline, the only children of Elisha and Sally Whiting who stayed true to the Church, started westward in brother Morley's company. Volumes have been written of the westward journey of the saints, and as Congressman Leatherstood has said, “It is the greatest emigration trail that was ever blazed, and our pioneers will, some day stand out in history as the greatest pioneers of the world.” They fought Indians, had their cattle stampeded, suffered for lack of proper food, and even though tired from that long and tedious trek, still they went on. After reaching the Black Hills, a heavy snowstorm came and for three days they were shut in. Many of their cattle died and perhaps they would have died had not the teams and provisions sent by President Brigham Young come to their aid.

On October 28, 1849, they reached Salt Lake City, which looked like a haven of rest to that travel-worn company. Aunt Mary said, “I have never beheld a sight so good and so beautiful as Salt Lake City. We were so thankful our journey was at an end.” But their rest was of short duration, for in a few days Edwin Whiting, the Morley's and the Cox's were called to settle the San Pitch River, now known as Manti. Again they journeyed on. It took three weeks to go from Salt Lake City, because they had to build their own roads. Provo was then a village of about six homes.

As they passed Hobble Creek, afterwards known as Springville, Edwin Whiting remarked, “This is a fertile spot. I would like to stop here.” They arrived in Sanpete county on December 1, 1849, with almost nothing to eat, no food for their cattle, no shelter to keep them warm, and cold weather upon them. They made “dugouts” on the south side of the hill where the Manti Temple now stands. It was a severe winter, with snow so deep the cattle could scarcely get grass and most of them died. Food had to be divided with the Indians to keep peace. President Young had promised them provisions and help, but none came, so Edwin and Orville Cox put on snow shoes and with a little parched corn in their pockets for food, placed their bedding on a sleigh and started toward Salt Lake City for help. When they reached Nephi Canyon, they met their help, brother Dace Henry, his wife, her brother, Mr. Doge and an Indian, snow bound. Their cattle had died and their wagons were all but covered with snow. The young wife was very sick, so Edwin gave them the sleigh to pull her to Manti. They put their quilts on their backs and walked on to Salt Lake City and reported conditions to President Young. Aid was immediately sent, but some of that company went back to Salt Lake City.

Edwin's family now numbered fourteen. They lived in a large room in the wall of the hill with their chair factory in one end. The men and boys hauled wood from the hills on the hand sleighs.

The following spring (1850), there were three girls born. Harriet Lucinda was born to Mary Elizabeth in April, Louisa Melitia was born to Elizabeth in May, and Cornelia Dolly was born to Almira in June.

For several seasons, very little was raised. It became necessary to build a fort to protect themselves from the Indians, for they felt that the white man had stolen their land. The gates of the fort were locked while the men went to the fields with their guns. From this developed the Walker War. Edwin was appointed Captain of the Militia. Twice the Indians drove his cattle off and stole whatever they could.

Edwin often told us of one big old ox that he owned. The ox would rebel whenever an Indian tried to drive him. He would turn on his captors and break their defense and come home. He hated Indians and would always lower his head and challenge them if they came near. Edwin tried planting fruit trees, shrubs and flowers, but they could not survive the very cold winters. Their crops were poor, but they managed to exist and were a happy family in spite of their hardships.

In 1854, he was called to Ohio on a mission and was gone for two years. While he was away, the grasshoppers came and took everything they raised. They faced starvation, but miraculously, where the crops had been, a patch of pig weeds grew and they lived on them until the corn ripened in Utah County. A strange thing it was, for the Indians said those pig weeds had never grown there before, nor have they grown since. Walter Cox divided with his brother's (brother-in-law) family while Edwin was away.

Edwin, upon his return, brought many kinds of fruit trees, (some from his father's farm that he helped to plant when a boy) shrubs and flowers, and again tried to grow them, but the climate was too cold.

On the 8th of October, 1856, Edwin married Hannah Haines Brown. Abby Ann Whiting was born to this couple at Manti in 1858 and Lorenzo Snow Whiting was born at Manti in 1860.

On the 14th day of April, 1857, he married Mary Ann Washburn. Two children were born to the family while they resided at Manti. Daniel Abram was born in May, 1858 and Monroe Finch Whiting was born in November, 1862.

While he lived at Manti, Edwin was among the foremost men in religious and civic affairs of the community. He was councilor to the Stake President. He was mayor of the city from 1857 to 1861. He was a member of the legislature for two terms, and as stated before, he was Captain of the Militia in the Walker War.

After finding the climate of Manti unfavorable for raising fruit, his special work, he was advised by President Young to try out his nursery at Springville. He moved to Springville in 1861 and was able to plant and grow all kinds and varieties of fruit trees, vegetables and flowers. People used to come from neighboring communities to see his flowers.

He built a home on the lot where the Springville Second Ward Church now stands. That old two story adobe home will stand in the memory of the members of the Whiting Family as a place of many happy evenings and of fun and amusement. Aunt Mary also taught school there.

He transplanted, in different towns, many evergreens from the mountains. Those around the old Court House in Provo, those at the Springville City park, and one large evergreen that stands southwest of the Manti Temple which can be seen for miles around. He once said “I brought that in my dinner bucket and I think it was the first evergreen transplanted in Utah.”

His life was typical of this great tree. A poem written by Emmay Whiting, wife of Daniel Whiting, describes his life and this tree as being similar. Edwin had one of the largest families in Utah. Many of those stand at the head of Stake and Ward organizations in our Church. Among his descendants, we found seven bishops.

In his later life, he did temple work for his dead relatives in the Salt Lake Temple, St. George Temple, and in the Logan Temple. He lived the principles of his religion. He was honest, charitable, and never accumulated great riches. He was thrifty and loved his wives and children and gave them the comforts of life. He died at Mapleton, Utah on the 9th of December, 1890 at the age of eighty-one years. He was firm in his belief and testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel. His descendants are numerous and are found in Idaho, Arizona, Mexico, California, New York, and in Utah. [1919]”

Edwin arrived in Springville, Utah County, Utah in 1861 along with his wife, Hannah and her children. Other family members remained behind in Manti until homes were constructed. During the first winter, Edwin, Hannah, and their children, lived in a lean-to that was made by placing boards against the 12-foot high wall of the Springville Fort. Edwin later secured property near Main Street and 400 South in Springville and built two identical homes out of adobe with a fifty foot space in between. A third structure was eventually constructed between the two smaller homes, and the completed home became known as the "Big House." Edwin was active in community life in Springville.

In 1861, Edwin Whiting's family were all living in Manti where he had been sent by Brigham Young to organize the San Pitch River. Finding the climate too cold for his occupation as nurseryman, he asked permission of Pres. Young to come north, which was permitted. He left all his wives and children in Manti except Hannah and her children and moved to Springville. Their home for the first winter was a lean-to by placing boards against the old 12 foot high fort wall. Edwin bought a strip of land extending from Main street extending to where the High School now stands. (The high school is no longer standing but it was east of the present Art Museum).

On this land he soon made homes for the rest of his family. Two homes exactly alike were built of adobe leaving a space of fifty feet between, later filling in this space and joining onto the previously built and we designated it as the Big House, a two story structure with spacious windows and doors, large airy rooms, broad halls and broad steps of native sandstone transported from the quarries of San Pete by ox team by the older sons. Choice fruits and berries grew in his orchard near the house. These budded from eastern varieties. A school was taught in one of the rooms until a suitable house could be built. There all lived in love and harmony.

by Abby Ann Whiting Bird

Heritage Tree: Red Juniper Tree planted on the Edwin Whiting Property:

Family tradition holds that Edwin was responsible for planting several trees throughout the city and Utah County. Many have become diseased or have been removed due to other construction, but one significant specimen still stands at this location, approximately 445 South Main Street. I t would likely have been near the front of The Big House. Edwin's biographers, including his daughters, say that he got many of his trees from the Utah Mountains east of Springville. This tree measures just under 13 feet in circumference and stands about 40 ft. high. It is much bigger than any other Juniper in the area and could have been purchased elsewhere. Other records we have tell us of Edwin purchasing trees in Salt Lake. We are not quite sure where the name “Juniper Red” comes from. Juniper Red is not a Utah Native Tree. There is a plaque at the base of the tree placed by the Daughters of the Pioneers. Several photos over the years show the development of the tree and the changes in the buildings surrounding it.

The "Big House" was later demolished and in 1913, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints built a chapel on the property. Extensive remodeling on the historic church building was completed in 1998 and the building was rededicated by Gordon B. Hinckley, then president of the Church. The building was extensively damaged by vandals in 2006, who set fire to the structure. It was demolished as a result. The juniper tree still stands (2011).

Edwin Whiting Beekeeper

There are two articles about Edwin Whiting and his association with a group known as the “Utah County Bee Keepers Association”. The first one lists Edwin first as one of two Vice Presidents of the group. The lengthy article lists some of their activities and problems with bee keeping. It can be found at : The article is in the Deseret News 3 Aug 1870, pg 12 under “Correspondence”.

The second of an even longer article titled, “Report of Committee on Bees”, at the very bottom, refers to “One Swarm kept by Whiting of Springville, Utah Co., paid a profit of $125.00, estimating young bees $25.00 per stand and honey 50c per pound,” Source: Deseret News Online 27 Dec 1870, pg.3.

Wayne Johnson, a grandson of Edwin has sketched several items about the house and yard of Edwin, one of them is labeled "The Apiary", which is a place where bees and their hives are kept. This image can be seen in this site at Historic Places, Driving Tour of Springville.


Edwin Whiting Manti Grows Cabbage in Manti, September 15, 1852:

Editor News: I have often heard it stated, that the valley of San Pete would nor produce melons. This story has probably originated from the fact that the brethren have heretofore not succeeded in bring melons into maturity. This has been laid to the door of Jack Frost, but this is not the sole cause, for it is well known that while there from one to five hundred Indians in our midst during the greater part of the summer, and while they are allowed to travel over our fields, gardens, & unmolested and unrestrained, we can do but little in the way of raising melons.

This season, many of the brethren have their city lots fenced, and are living on them; those that are thus situated, are blessed with fine melons, squashes, pumpkins, tomatoes, & articles that have not been raised with any degree of successes, previous to this year. I had a squash from the garden of bro. Holden a few days since, that was equally good as any I ever saw in Great Salt Lake Valley.

Bro. Edwin Whiting showed me a number of heads of cabbage a few days since, that equal any that ever grew in Buncombe, N.C. He raised his cabbage from the seed last season, (‘51) cut the heads from the stalks and buried the stocks in the fall so as to protect them from the winter frosts. In the spring he took them up and set them in rows, from 20 inches to two feet apart; after they had started the many shoots that usually come out on an old stock, he selected the healthiest and most thrifty bud or shaft, and broke the others off. The buds so left, have sprung into large, hard, white heads of cabbage; in fact, this cabbage is better headed than any I have ever seen in the valleys. Bro. Whiting has tried this experiment two seasons, with good success, and recommends this process of raising cabbage very highly.

We have had a high frost on the bottoms, but none to injure any sort of vegetation in this city as yet. We had a very severe hail storm in this place, this morning; but as the harvesting is almost over, it could have done but very little damage. After the hail, it rained a fine shower, which will hasten the growth of turnips, &c.

I am yours, AND. L. SILVER

Source: Deseret News 1852 (online)

Note: Original spelling and punctuation retained.

Transcribed by James W. Whiting 26 April 2010


Edwin's obituary, published in the Deseret News, Saturday January 3, 1891, can be viewed at the following link:

Death of Edwin Whiting

The death of Edwin Whiting, son of Elisha and Sally [Hulet] Whiting occurred at Springville, Utah County December 8, 1890. Deceased was born September 9 1809 at Lee, Berkshire County, Massachusetts. When six years of age his father moved with his family to Portage County, Ohio. Brother Whiting was married to Elizabeth Partridge Tilotson in 1833, moved westward in 1837 and was baptized by Thomas M. Marsh August 1838.

He was one of the brethren who were compelled to lay down their arms at the order of the mob. He listened to the infamous speech of General Clark and was forcibly expelled with the saints from the State. Locating in Lima, in the Morley settlement, he there became counselor to father Morley. Deceased was on a mission in Pennsylvania at he time of the Prophet Joseph's martyrdom and was recalled that year.

After the burning of his house by a ruthless mob he was driven to Nauvoo. In the year 1846 he journeyed with the saints for the great west, staying at Mount Pisgah. He was President of that branch for one year. In 1849 with a family fourteen in number he went to the valley of the Great Salt Lake, before reaching which he enrolled his name with a company (of which father Morley was president) to go to Sanpete, there to establish the settlement of Manti, where he remained twelve years, and became counselor to the president, also mayor of the city and a member of the Legislative Assembly of Utah.

He was likewise captain of militia during the Indian troubles. All these positions he filled with much honor. He went on a mission to Ohio in 1855-6 and moved to Springville, Utah County in 1861. The deceased was well known as a successful fruit grower and brought the first of a number of varieties of fruit to Utah. He worked eight successive winters in the the Temple, for the dead.

Brother whiting was the father of twenty sons and sixteen daughters, twenty five of whom are living. He had 135 grandchildren and twenty-nine great grandchildren.

Wives - Elizabeth Partridge /TILLOTSON/ 1833; Almira Meacham 1845; Mary Elizabeth Cox 1846; Hannah Haines Brown 1856; Mary Ann Washburn 1857

Parents - Elisha /WHITING/Jr. and Sally /HULETT/ Inscription: Edwin Whiting, Born Lee Berkshire Co. Mass. Sept. 9th 1809 Died Dec. 8th, 1890 Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord On the back: Elizabeth P. Tillotson wife of Edwin Whiting born Tymingham In Mass. Apr. 15, 1814 Died Feb. 4, 1892 Kind Mother Rest in Peace. Mary Ann Washburn wife of Edwin Whiting born Sing Sing W. Chester Co. N.Y. Nov. 18th 1828 Died Oct. 10th, 1882

view all 46

Edwin Whiting's Timeline

September 9, 1809
Lee, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, United States
October 18, 1834
Age 25
October 18, 1834
Age 25
August 21, 1836
Age 26
Nelson, Portage, OH, United States
August 1838
Age 28
January 2, 1840
Age 30
November 11, 1841
Age 32
November 11, 1841
Age 32
February 25, 1843
Age 33