Eleanor FitzAlan, Baroness Percy
|Birthplace:||Arundel, Sussex, England|
|Death:||Died in Beverley, Yorkshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Beverley Minster, Beverley, Yorkshire, England|
Daughter of Richard 7th Earl of Arundel FitzAlan, 8th Earl Arundel and Alice of Saluzzo, Countess of Arundel
|Managed by:||Ofir Friedman|
About Eleanor FitzAlan
Eleanor Fitzalan (c. 1284 – July/August 1328) was an alleged daughter of Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel and his wife Alice of Saluzzo. She became the wife of Henry de Percy, 1st Baron Percy. Their son was Henry de Percy, 2nd Baron Percy.
Standard accounts of the Percy family identify Eleanor as the daughter of the "Earl of Arundel". Arrangements for Eleanor's marriage to Lord Percy are found in the recognizance made in 1300 by Eleanor's father, Richard, Earl of Arundel, for a debt of 2,000 marks which he owed Sir Henry Percy. Eleanor was styled as a "kinswoman" of Edward II on two separate occasions; once in 1318 and again in 1322 presumably by her descent from Amadeus IV, Count of Savoy who was the brother of Edward II's great-grandmother, Beatrice of Savoy. Eleanor's brothers, Edmund and John were also styled as "kinsmen" of the king. Eleanor's identity is further indicated by the presence of the old and new arms of FitzAlan (or Arundel) at her tomb.
- Eleanor FitzAlan1,2,3,4,5,6
- F, #10681, b. circa 1284, d. July 1328 or August 1328
- Father Sir Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl Arundel, Lord Clun and Oswaldestre2,3,4,7,6 b. 3 Feb 1267, d. 9 Mar 1302
- Mother Alisone de Saluzzo2,4,7,6 b. c 1271, d. 25 Sep 1292
- Eleanor FitzAlan was born circa 1284 at Arundel, Sussex, England. She married Sir Henry Percy, 9th Baron Percy, Baron Alnwick & Topcliffe, son of Sir Henry Percy, 7th Baron Percy, Baron Topcliffe and Eleanor de Warenne, after June 1294; They had 2 sons (Sir Henry, 2nd Lord Percy; & William).2,3,4,5,6 Eleanor FitzAlan died in July 1328 or August 1328; Buried at Beverley, Yorkshire.2,4,6
- Family Sir Henry Percy, 9th Baron Percy, Baron Alnwick & Topcliffe b. c 25 Mar 1273, d. 10 Oct 1314
- Sir Henry de Percy, 2nd Lord Percy, Baron Topcliffe & Alnwick+2,3,4,6 b. 2 Feb 1300 or 6 Feb 1301, d. 26 Feb 1352
- [S2662] Unknown author, Europaische Stammtafeln by Isenburg, chart 711, Vol. 3; Wallop Family, p. 615.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 574-575.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 335-336.
- [S6] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry: 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 1-2.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 601.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 346-348.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 599-600.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p356.htm#i10681
- Lady Eleanor Fitzalan
- F, #52, b. circa 1277, d. between July 1328 and August 1328
- Last Edited=31 May 2015
- Lady Eleanor Fitzalan was born circa 1277 at Arundel, Sussex, England.1 She was the daughter of Richard Fitzalan, 1st/8th Earl of Arundel and Alasia di Saluzzo. She married Henry de Percy, 1st Lord Percy, son of Sir Henry de Percy and Eleanor de Warenne, before June 1294 in a Alnwick, Northumberland, England marriage.2 She died between July 1328 and August 1328.3
- Children of Lady Eleanor Fitzalan and Henry de Percy, 1st Lord Percy
- William de Percy1 b. 1301, d. 1355
- Henry de Percy, 2nd Lord Percy+ b. 6 Feb 1300/1, d. 26 Feb 1351/52
- [S125] Richard Glanville-Brown, online <e-mail address>, Richard Glanville-Brown (RR 2, Milton, Ontario, Canada), downloaded 17 August 2005.
- [S37] BP2003 volume 2, page 2939. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume X, page 459. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p6.htm#i52
- Eleanor FITZALAN (B. Percy)
- Born: ABT 1284
- Died: Jul 1328
- Father: Richard FITZALAN (3° E. Arundel)
- Mother: Alice SALUZZO
- Married: Henry PERCY (9º B. Percy/1º B. Alnwick) ABT 1297
- 1. Henry PERCY (2º B. Percy)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/FITZALAN.htm#Eleonor FITZALAN (B. Percy)
- Lady Eleanor Fitz Alan Percy
- Birth: 1282 Arundel, West Sussex, England
- Death: Aug., 1328, England
- Eleanor was the daughter of Richard FitzAlan, the Earl of Arundel, descendant of King John Lackland, and Alice Saluzzo. She was the grand daughter of John Fitz Alan and Isabel de Mortimer, Tomaso I, Marquis of Saluzzo in Piedmont and Aluisia, daughter of Giogio, Marchese di Ceva.
- Eleanor married Sir Henry de Percy, Baron of Topcliffe, and son of Sir Henry de Percy and Eleanor de Warenne. They married in 1294, and had two sons:
- William de Percy 1301-1355
- Sir Henry Percy, 2nd Lord Percy 1301-1352
- Some records include a daughter, Alianore, who would marry John FitzWalter.
- Arrangements for their marriage was noted by recognition in 1300 of a debt owed by Eleanor's father, Richard, Earl of Arundel to Henry de Percy in the amount of 2,000 marks. These recognitions were recorded during the era to guarantee the fulfillment of a marriage contract.
- Eleanor would live most of her life at Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, the home of the most prestigious Percy family. Eleanor was the executrix of her brother, Sir Richard de Arundel's will who died in 1314. In 1317, she presented her brother, John, to the church of Arncliffe, Yorkshire. He became the Canon of Chichester. Eleanor died July or August 1328.
- Family links:
- Richard FitzAlan (1267 - 1302)
- Alisona De Saluzza FitzAlan (1269 - 1292)
- Henry Percy (1273 - 1314)
- Henry de Percy (1301 - 1352)*
- Burial: Beverley Minster, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
- Find A Grave Memorial# 69492336
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=69492336
Eleanor FitzAlan's Timeline
Arundel, Sussex, England
February 6, 1300
Leconfield, Yorkshire, England
Preston, Northumberland, England
Beverley, Yorkshire, England
Beverley Minster, Beverley, Yorkshire, England