Elizabeth Hunt (Best)
|Birthplace:||of, Halifax, Yorkshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts|
Daughter of John Best and Jane Robinsonne
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Hunt
view all 23
About Elizabeth Hunt
- 'Genealogy of the name and family of Hunt : early established in America from Europe; exhibiting pedigrees of ten thousand persons... (1862)
- Middlesex Deeds, lib. ii. 43 : Samuel Hunt, executor of Robert Best, and Nehemiah Hunt his brother, having right to lands of Robert Best, sell to Mary Loker, widow, a house, house-lot, and 1 acre upland, with all rights in town except 5 1/2 acres meadow, and a parcel of upland formerly sold D. Cheever; also meadow in 1st divi-
- sion excepted. July 15, 1654 : And they warrant against claims of William Hunt's children. Page 44 : Samuel Hunt, executor, sells E. Goodnow1/2 acre of 1st division of meadow, granted R. Best, and rights of commonage in Sudbury, July 5, 1654.
- ' WILLIAM HUNT.
- ' William Hunt, one of the first settlers of Concord, was made freeman, June 2, 1641. He was a large landed proprietor, and left considerable estates to his sons. He removed to Marlborough, and died in October, 1667, having made his will on the 21st of the same month. His first wife, and the mother of his children, was Elizabeth ____ , who died at Concord, Dec. 27, 1661 '; and, in 1664, he married Mercy, daughter of Hurd, whose first husband was Thomas Brigham ; and, second, Edmund Rice.
- The following is a copy, verbatim et literatim, of the will of William Hunt, now on file at the office of probate, in Cambridge : — . . .
- 'WILLIAM HUNT m. Elisabeth of Concord. ch
- NEHEMIAH HUNT, 1631, m. Mary Toll (1663). ch 1664-86. Mary. John. John. Nehemiah. William. John. Mercy. William. Hannah. Simeon. Elisabeth. Rebecca.
- SAMUEL HUNT, 1633, m. Elisabeth Redding. ch 1657-70. Samuel. William. Elisabeth. William. Joseph. Peter. Peter.
- ELISABETH HUNT m. John Barron (1664) ch 1665-72. John. Elisabeth. Moses. Eliz (son). Dorothy.
- ISAAC HUNT, 1647, m. Mary Stone (1667). ch 1669-77. Isaac. Hannah. Samuel. Isaac. Ebenezer.
- ' WILLIAM HUNT.
- 'WILLIAM1 of Concord. 1605.
- 'ELIZABETH BEST. (?) (Ob. Dec. 27, 1661.)
- MERCY RICE. 1664.
- 1631, . Nehemiah.1 March 6. 1717-18.
- 1633, . Samuel.1
- 16?? , . Elizabeth. Barron.
- 1640-1, Feb. 12. Hannah.
- 1647, . Isaac.1 Dec. 12, 1680.
- ' The Life of William Hunt.
- ' He was born in England about the year 1605, __ two years after the tedious but glorious reign of the Maiden Queen had ended, and the mild and pacific James Stuart had come from his native realm to rule the three kingdoms; . . . coming to know and practise industry and every good accomplishment that could be an attribute of the intelligent and likely young man; then to the blissful married state, and to be father (before he left England) of at least two sons, __ gifts tender and promising to infold and bring over from the Old World hither, to bear fruit and multiply, replenish the wilderness, and give seed for yet countless generation.
- Not long after the bright and happy state of conjugal life had been entered by our revered ancestor, the policy of public affairs grew gloomy: and the hearts and wishes of worthy subjects of the king inclined them to leave the land of their nativity; . . . Could William Hunt go with his friends and neighbors, and build a commonwealth, and hope to live? Ah! the effort was made; the achievement apparently has been accomplished. He sailed in the year 1635, with his companions, . . . Nehemiah, Samuel, and Isaac grew to manhood in the fresh and improving agricultural region of the country, conversant with its charms, and enjoying its delights. . . .
- Our pious, noble-hearted, and revered ancestor, after taking to his bosom a second wife, closed his useful life in the town of Marlborough in 1667. . . .
- BEST, Robert, of Sudbury, appears to have been brother-in-law of 'William Hunt of Concord'. He made a will, June 21, 1654; and gave his house and lands to his two nephews, Samuel and Nehemiah Hunt ; or, in failure of their issue, to the rest of the children of William Hunt. He also divides his personal effects among the five children of William Hunt ; giving a silver spoon each to Elizabeth and Hannah Hunt, &c. Inventory was taken July 12, 1655, £39. 10s. 6d. Will proved before Governor and magistrates, 21st of fifth month (July), by testimony of the witnesses. It appears to us conclusive that he was brother of Mrs. Elizabeth Hunt. The name is also found in Yorkshire ; whence we get such extracts of records as show (on page 7) the parentage of our ancestors, the Hunts, with a very confident certainty. And therefore Robert Best doubtless braved the perils of the ocean, side by side with the Concord settlers; coming here and dwelling near his own kin, and leaving to them his entire worldly eflfects, when the close of life drew near.
- 'The Warren-Clarke genealogy : a record of persons related within the sixth degree to the children of Samuel Dennis Warren and Susan Cornelia Clarke (1894)
- ' Best, Elizabeth.
- Father :
- Mother :
- Birth :
- 'Death: Concord, Mass. Dec. 27, 1661
- 'Husband : William Hunt.
- 'Issue : (See William Hunt.)
- Nehemiah Hunt, John Hunt, Ruth Hunt, Hannah Merriam, Susanna Grout, Samuel Dennis Warren.
- ' Hunt, William.
- Father :
- Mother :
- Birth : England . . 1605.
- Death : Marlborough, Mass. Oct., 1667
- '1st Wife : Elizabeth Best.
- Issue : 1. Nehemiah Hunt 1631.
- 2. Samuel Hunt 1633.
- 3. Elizabeth Hunt.
- 4. Hannah Hunt Feb. 12, 1640-1.
- 5. Isaac Hunt 1647.
- 2d Wife : Merry Hurd . . 1664.
- Issue :
- Nehemiah Hunt, William Hunt, John Hunt, Ruth Hunt, Hannah Merriam, Susanna Grout, Samuel Dennis Warren.
view all 27
Elizabeth Hunt's Timeline
January 27, 1605
of, Halifax, Yorkshire, England
Bradford, West Riding, Yorkshire, Eng
Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA