About Emma de Conteville
evry site liste her parents!
https://xpda.com/family/deConteville-Emma-ind01614.htm http://webberfamilynorwood.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I198&tree=webber http://geneagraphie.com/getperson.php?personID=I14663 http://www.familypursuit.com/genealogy/de-conteville_emma/emma-de-conteville-b.1024-d.1068-1 http://www.genealogiequebec.info/testphp/info.php?no=24329 https://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/emma-de-conteville_39826350?geo_a=r&geo_s=us&geo_t=us&geo_v=2.0.0&o_xid=62916&o_lid=62916&o_sch=Partners http://gw.geneanet.org/belfast8?lang=en&p=emma+de+conteville&n=burgh https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Conteville-5
Not listed at Wikipedia as a daughter of these parents.
• Harleian Society. The Visitation of Cheshire in the Year 1580, The Publicatons of The Harleian Society (London: The Society, 1882) Vol. 18, Page 4: "The Genealogy of the Earles of Chester. [Harl. 1424, fo. 3. Harl. 1505, fo. 2.]" • Yeatman, John Pym. The Early Genealogical History of the House of Arundel (Mitchell and Hughes, London, 1882) Page 38: "Ermenhilde (Emma), sister of William the Conqueror" • Ancestry Family Trees: Publication: Name: Name: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.: Numerous Ancestry Family Trees were included as support for information submitted. • The Millennium File (Heritage Consulting) • Geni. Emma de Conteville, Countess of Chester. Daughter of Robert de Grandmesnil. Wife of Richard le Goz. Mother of 10 listed children.
medlands say parent unknow
Emma de Conteville
Parents: unknown (not de Conteville)
Spouse: Richard 'le Goz' d'Avranches
- Hugues d'Avranches 'Lupus'
- Marguerite,(Maud) married Ranulf Vicomte du Bessin
- Helisende, married Guillaume [II] Comte d'Eu
- Judith, married Richer de Laigle
RICHARD "le Goz" (-after 1082). Guillaume de Jumièges names "Richard fils de Toustain", specifying that he served Guillaume II Duke of Normandy faithfully after his father's rebellion. "…Turstinci vicecomitis…Turstinci Gazel…Richardi filii Turstinci, Roberti fratris eius…" witnessed the charter dated to [1047 or before] under which Guillaume II Duke of Normandy confirmed the donation by "Adelelmi…Beatricis uxor eius…Rotberti filius eius" to the abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel. Vicomte d'Avranches. "…Richardi filii Torestini…" witnessed the charter dated to  under which Guillaume II Duke of Normandy donated property to the abbey of Marmoutier. "…Willelmi filii Osberti, Rotgerii de Monte Golmerii, Richardis vicecomitis Abrinchensis…" witnessed the charter dated [1055/56] under which Guillaume II Duke of Normandy "in pago…Constantino, villam…Flotomannum" to Saint-Florent de Saumur. "…Ricardus vicecomes Abrincatinus…" witnessed the charter dated 1064 under which Guillaume II Duke of Normandy settled a claim in favour of the monks of Marmoutier relating to property donated by "Guido de Valle". The Chronique de Normandie, based on le Roman de Rou, names "Richart d´Avrenchin" among those who took part in the conquest of England in 1066. "Richardi filii Torsteingoiz" witnessed a charter of William I King of England dated 1069. Orderic Vitalis names him as the son of Thurstan. "Ricardo filio Turstini Guz et Guillelmo Caritate, Fulkoque filio Gerardi Budel atque Radulfo de Ollei" are named as present in the charter dated 30 Nov 1074 under which Odo Bishop of Bayeux bought "la terre de Chernet" from "Herberto de Agnellis", with the consent of "suo domino Radulfo de Conchis".
m EMMA, daughter of ---. A manuscript relating to St Werburgh´s Chester records that “Hugo Lupus filius ducis Britanniæ et nepos Gulielmi magni ex sorore” transformed the foundation into a monastery. This suggests that Hugues´s mother may have been a uterine sister of King William, and therefore daughter of Herluin de Conteville. However, no indication has been in other primary sources which supports the contention that Hugues was the son of a duke of Brittany. It is assumed therefore that both lines of his parentage have been romanticised in this document to improve his status and reputation.
Vicomte Richard & his wife had four children:
i) HUGUES d'Avranches "Lupus" (-St Werburg's Abbey, Chester 27 Jul 1101). He is named as son of Richard "le Goz" by Orderic Vitalis. William I King of England granted him the whole of the county palatine of Chester in 1071, whereby he is held to have become Earl of Chester.
- EARLS of CHESTER.
ii) MARGUERITE [Maud] d'Avranches . She is named "Mathilda soror Hugonis comitis" by Orderic Vitalis, who also names her son.
m RANULF Vicomte du Bessin, son of RANULF Vicomte du Bessin & his wife Alix de Normandie.
iii) HELISENDE d'Avranches . Her marriage is referred to by Orderic Vitalis, who says that she was the sister of Hugh Earl of Chester but does not give her name. The primary source which confirms her name has not yet been identified.
m as his second wife, GUILLAUME [II] Comte d'Eu, son of ROBERT Comte d'Eu & his first wife Beatrix --- (-2 Jan after 1096).
iv) JUDITH d'Avranches . She is named as wife of Richer de Laigle by Orderic Vitalis, who also names her father and brother. "Robertus…" donated property to Chartres Saint-Père by charter dated to [1101/17], confirmed by "Gisleberti…de Aquila" and witnessed by "Gisleberti de Aquila, Julite eiusdem matris et Juliane uxoris ipsius". "Richer de Aquila son of Ingenulf de Aquila" donated property to the abbey of Saint-Evroul by charter dated to  (although this date is incorrect if the date of his death is as shown above), witnessed by "…Judiht uxore mea, filia Richardi de Abrincis et sorore Hugonis comitis Cestrensis". "Robertus…" donated property to Chartres Saint-Père by charter dated to [1101/17], confirmed by "Gisleberti…de Aquila" and witnessed by "Gisleberti de Aquila, Julite eiusdem matris et Juliane uxoris ipsius".
m RICHER de Laigle, son of ENGENULF & his wife --- (-killed Dec 1085).
b. circa 1030?
Emma de Conteville|b. c 1030?|p55.htm#i6644|Herluin de Conteville|b. 1001\nd. c 1066|p347.htm#i6645|Herlève de Falaise|b. 1003|p44.htm#i5008|Jean de Conteville|b. 969|p55.htm#i6646||||Fulbert de Falaise|b. 978|p44.htm#i5051|Doda (?)|b. 980|p44.htm#i5052|
Father Herluin de Conteville1,2 b. 1001, d. circa 1066
Mother Herlève de Falaise1,2 b. 1003
Emma de Conteville was dismissed as fictitious, by Douglas, and not a daughter of Herluin and Herleve, and not the half-sister of William the Conqueror, as supposed.3,4 She was born circa 1030? At Normandy. She was the daughter of Herluin de Conteville and Herlève de Falaise.1,2 Emma de Conteville married Richard le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches, son of Thurstan le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches and Judith de Montanolier, before 1040 at Normandy, France.5,1
Richard le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches b. circa 1025, d. after 1082
* Judith d' Avranches+ b. 10406
* N. N. d' Avranches b. c 1043
* Margaret d' Avranches+ b. c 1046, d. c 1136
* Hugh "Vras", 2nd Earl of Chester+ b. c 1047, d. 27 Jul 11011,2
1. [S842] Harleian Society, "Visitiation Cheshire 1580: Chester Earls".
2. [S215] Revised by others later George Edward Cokayne CP, III:164.
3. [S215] Revised by others later George Edward Cokayne CP, XII/1, App. K, pg. 32-33.
4. [S215] Revised by others later George Edward Cokayne CP, III:164-165, makes no such reservation about her parentage.
5. [S209] Somerset Herald J.R. Planché, Planché, J.R..
6. [S204] Roderick W. Stuart, RfC, 295-32.
B: abt 1034 Conteville, France
Emenhilde (Emma) DE CONTEVILLE 762,803,1129,1135,7047,7048,7049
* Born: Abt 1029, Conteville, Eure, Normandy 762,803
* Died: France 803
Vcte Richard 'Le Goz' D' AVRANCHES
* Judith D' AVRANCHES+
* Albert DE GRESLET Lord of Manchester+
* Turstin DE CREULLY & Presles+
* Maud (Margaret) D' AVRANCHES Heiress of Chester+
* Hugh 'Le Goz' D' AVRANCHES+
* Nesta LE GOZ+
1. Alt. Birth; Between 1029 and 1033, Conteville, France. 7047
Emenhilde married Vcte Richard 'Le Goz' D' AVRANCHES, son of Vicomte Toustien 'Le Goz' D' AVRANCHES Lord Heism and Judith DE MONTANDLIER. (Vcte Richard 'Le Goz' D' AVRANCHES was born in 1019 in Avranches, Normandy, France and died in 1082.)
Emma de CONTEVILLE [Parents] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 was born 1029 in Conteville, Calvados, France. She married Richard "le Goz" d' AVRANCHES on 1044 in Avranches, Manche, Basse-Normandie, France.
They had the following children:
F i Albreda d' AVRANCHES was born 1045.
M ii Hugh "Lupus" d' AVRANCHES Earl of Chester was born 1048 and died 27 Jul 1101.
F iii Judith d' AVRANCHES was born 1051.
F iv Margaret d' AVRANCHES was born 1054.
1Weis, Frederick Lewis, Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700 (7th ed., Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992.), 132A-25, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 974 W426 1992.
2Schwennicke, Detlev, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten (Marburg: Verlag von J. A. Stargardt, 1978-), III-694B, Family History Library, 940 D5es.
3Moriarty, George Andrews, The Plantagenet Ancestry of King Edward III and Queen Philippa (Salt Lake City: Mormon Pioneer Genealogy Society, 1985.), p. 111, Family History Library, 929.242 P694m.
4Cokayne, George Edward, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant (London: St. Catherine Press, 1910.), 3:164, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.721 C682.
5Keats-Rohan, K.S.B., Domesday People: A Prosopography of Persons Occurring in English Documents, 1066-1166 (Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999.), p. 258, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 942.02 K25.
- ID: I7775
- Name: Emma De Conteville
- Surname: De Conteville
- Given Name: Emma
- Sex: F
- Birth: 1029/1033 in Conteville, France
- _UID: 7E10E9C615FDB740886BB2D7CD1E820231FD
- Change Date: 15 May 2009 at 01:00:00
Father: Harlevin (Herlouin) De Conteville Viscomte de Conteville b: 1001 in Conteville, Normandy, France
Mother: Herleve (Arlette) De Falaise b: ABT 1003 in Falaise, Calvados, France
Marriage 1 Richard le Goz Viscount de Avranches & Eu b: 1025 in Avranches, Normandy, France
1. Has No Children Guimond De Abrincis
2. Has Children Albreda le Goz
3. Has Children Helsinde De Avranches
4. Has No Children Albert De Grelle Lord of Manchester b: ABT 1050 in Avranches, Manche, Normandy, France
5. Has Children Judith le Goz De Avranches b: 1043/1054 in Avranches, Manche, Normandy, France
6. Has Children Hugh De Avranches le Gros Lupus Earl of Chester b: 1047/1050 in Avranches, Manche, Normandy, France
7. Has Children Maud De Avranches b: 1052/1054 in Avranches, Normandy, France
8. Has Children Isabella "Lupus" D'Avranches b: ABT 1061 in Avranches, Normandy, France
Emma de Conteville was born about 1043 in Conteville, France.
Emma married Richard D'Avranches.
Emma was born in 1043. Emma's father was Harlevin de Conteville and her mother was Heleve Arlette de Falaise. Her paternal grandparents were Jean de Conteville and <Unknown>; her maternal grandparents were Chamberlain Fulbert de Falaise and Princess of Scotland Doda Falaise. She had two brothers and two sisters, named Odo, Robert, Miss and Muriel. She had a half-brother and three half-sisters, named The Conqueror, Felicia, Adelaide and Adeliza.
Emma de Contville1
Last Edited=11 Jan 2007
Emma de Contville is the daughter of Herluin de Conteville, Vicomte de Conteville and Herleva de Falaise.1 She married Richard le Goz, Vicomte d'Avranches, son of Thurston le Goz.1
Children of Emma de Contville and Richard le Goz, Vicomte d'Avranches
Hugh d'Avranches, 1st Earl of Chester+ b. c 1047, d. 27 Jul 11011
Margaret d'Avranches+ b. c 10542
[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 164. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume III, page 166.
- Emma de Conteville
born 1029 Conteville, France
- Harlevin de Burgo de Conteville
born about 1001 Conteville, France
- Harlette de Falaise
born about 1003 Falaise, Normandie
married after 1035
- Odo de Conteville born about 1036
Mathilde de Conteville born about 1039 Conteville, France
- Robert Count de Mortaigne born about 1037 Mortaigne, Normandie
died 8 December 1090 France buried Abbaye de Grestain
- Richard d'Avranches Vicount d'Avranches
born 1025 Avranches, Normandy, France
- Maud d'Avaranche born about 1054 Avranches, Normandy, France
- Judith (le Goz) d'Avranches born about 1054 Avranches, Normandy, France
Albreda d'Avranches born about 1045 Oakhampton, Devonshire, England
- Hugh "Vras" "Le Gros" "Lupus" d'Avranches
born about 1050 Avranches, Normandy, France died 27 July 1101 St. Werburgh, Chester, Cheshire, England
Arbella Loup d'Avranches born about 1055 Averanches, Normandy, France
biographical and/or anecdotal:
notes or source:
Emma de Conteville has been dismissed as fictitious, by Douglas, and not a daughter of Herluin and Herleve, and not the half-sister of William the Conqueror, as supposed.
We are assuming she is factual, however.
Emma married Richard le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches, son of Thurstan le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches and Judith de Montanolier, before 1040 in Normandy.
See "My Lines"
from Compiler: R. B. Stewart, Evans, GA
Emma de Conteville's Timeline
Normandy, , , France
April 30, 1039
Conteville, Calvados, Basse-Normandie, France
[alternate birth date]
Avranches, Manche, Normandy, France
Avranches, Manche, Basse-Normandie, France
Avranches, Manche, Normandy, France