Godard van Reede, 1st Earl of Athlone

Is your surname van Reede?

Research the van Reede family

Godard van Reede, 1st Earl of Athlone's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Godard van Reede, heer van Amerongen

Also Known As: "Godert de Ginkell", "heer van Amerongen", "Ginckel", "Leersum", "Zuylestein en Woudenberg"
Birthplace: Amerongen, Utrecht, Netherlands
Death: February 11, 1702 (57)
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Place of Burial: Amerongen, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Immediate Family:

Son of Godard van Reede , 1st Baron van Reede and Margaretha Turnor, vrouwe van Amerongen
Husband of Ursula Philippotta van Raesfelt, vrouwe van Middachten
Father of Frederik Christiaan, baron van Reede, 2nd Earl of Athlone; Anna Ursula van Reede, vrouwe van Blitterswijck; Godard Adriaan, baron van Reede; Reinhard van Reede van Amerongen, heer Van Ginkel, Reinhard baron van Reede van Ginkel; Agnes van Reede van Amerongen and 1 other

Managed by: Michael Lawrence Rhodes
Last Updated:

About Godard van Reede, 1st Earl of Athlone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godert_de_Ginkell,_1st_Earl_of_Athlone http://www.kasteelamerongen.nl

About Godard van Reede II

  • Veldt-Marshal Godard van Reede, 1st Earl of Athlone was born on 4 June 1644 at Amerongen Castle, Utrecht, The Netherlands.

He was the son of Godard Adriaan van Reede, 1st Baron van Reede and Margaretha Turnor. He married Urselina Philopota van Raesveld, Vrouwe van Middachten, Roenburg en Nienburg, en Herveld, daughter of Reinier van Raesveld and Margaretha van Leefdael, on 26 August 1666 at Ellekom, Gelderland. A contract for the marriage of Veldt-Marshal Godard van Reede, 1st Earl of Athlone and Urselina Philopota van Raesveld, Vrouwe van Middachten, Roenburg en Nienburg, en Herveld was signed on 31 July 1666. He died on 11 February 1702 at age 58 at Utrecht, The Netherlands, from apoplexy. He was buried at Amerongen, The Netherlands.

He was Lieutenant General of Cavalry of the forces of the United Provinces on 20 October 1683. He was Lieutenant General and Commander in Chief of the army in Ireland. He fought in the capture of Athlone on 20 June 1691.1 He fought in the Battle of Aughrim on 12 July 1691. He was naturalized as a as a British subject by Act of Parliament, as Baron de Ginkel on 24 February 1691/92. He was created 1st Baron of Aghrim, co. Galway [Ireland] on 4 March 1691/92. He was created 1st Earl of Athlone, co. Roscommon [Ireland] on 4 March 1691/92.1 On 13 October 1693 the King granted the forfeited estates (26,841 acres) of William Dongan, Earl of Limerick. On 15 December 1699 Parliament reversed the King's grant.1 He was Commander in Chief of the allied armies in Flanders in 1700. He gained the rank of Veldt-Marshal in 1702 in the service of the armies of the States General.


Godert de Ginkell, 1st Earl of Athlone, or in his own country of the Netherlands born Baron Godard van Reede (Amerongen, 1644 – 11 February 1703, Utrecht) was a Dutch general in the service of England.

He came of a noble family, and bore the title of Baron van Reede, being the eldest son of Godard Adrian van Reede, Baron van Amerongen. In his youth he entered the Dutch cavalry as an officer, receiving his first commission at age 12. In 1688, he accompanied William, Prince of Orange, in his expedition to England — the "Glorious Revolution" which deposed James II. The following year, Ginkell distinguished himself by a memorable exploit—the pursuit, defeat and capture of a Scottish regiment that had mutinied for James at Ipswich, and was marching northward across the fens. It was the alarm excited by this mutiny that facilitated the passing of the first Mutiny Act. In 1690, Ginkell accompanied William III to Ireland to take on the Franco-Irish Jacobites, and commanded a body of Dutch cavalry at the Battle of the Boyne. On the King's return to England, General Ginkell was entrusted with the conduct of the war in Ireland. (See also Williamite war in Ireland).

He took command in Ireland in the spring of 1691, and established his headquarters at Mullingar. Among those who held a command under him was the Marquis of Ruvigny, the recognized chief of the Huguenot refugees. Early in June, Ginkell took the fortress of Ballymore, capturing the whole garrison of 1,000 men. The English lost only eight men. After reconstructing the fortifications of Ballymore, the army marched to Athlone, then one of the most important of the fortified towns of Ireland and key to the Jacobite defensive position, as it bridged the River Shannon. The Irish defenders of the place were commanded by a distinguished French general, the Marquis de St Ruth. The firing began on 19 June, and on 30 June the town was stormed, the Irish army retreating towards Galway, and took up their next defensive position at Aughrim. Having strengthened the fortifications of Athlone and having left a garrison there, Ginkell led the English combined forces, on 8 July, westward in pursuit of the retreating army and met the Franco-Irish in formal battle on 12 July 1691 at Aughrim.

The subsequent Battle of Aughrim all but decided the war in the Williamites' favour. An immediate attack was resolved on, and, after a severe and at one time doubtful contest, the crisis was precipitated by the fall of the Franco-Irish leader, the French General Charles Chalmont, Marquis de St Ruth, after which his disorganized forces fled in the ensuing darkness of the early-morning of 13 July. A stunning defeat of the fleeing Franco-Irish followed in the confusion and darkness, with some 4000 corpses were left on the field.

Galway next capitulated, its garrison being permitted to retire to Limerick. There the viceroy Tyrconnell was in command of a large force, but his sudden death early in August left the command in the hands of Lord Lucan, General Patrick Sarsfield and the Frenchman d'Usson. Led by Ginkell, the English came in sight of the town on the day of Tyrconnell's death, and the bombardment and siege were immediately begun. Ginkell, by a bold device, crossed the River Shannon and captured the camp of the Irish cavalry. A few days later he stormed the fort on Thomond Bridge, and after difficult negotiations a capitulation was signed — the Treaty of Limerick, the terms of which were divided into a civil and a military treaty.

Thus was completed the conquest or pacification of Ireland, and the services of the Dutch general were amply recognized and rewarded. Ginkell received the formal thanks of the House of Commons, and was created by the king 1st earl of Athlone and baron of Aughrim. The immense forfeited estates of the Earl of Limerick were given to him, but the grant was a few years later revoked by the English parliament.

The Earl continued to serve in the English army, and accompanied the King to the continent in 1693. He fought at the sieges of Namur in 1695 and the Battle of Neerwinden, and assisted in destroying the French magazine at Givet. In the War of Spanish Succession Ginkell succeeded the Prince of Nassau-Usingen in 1702 as first Field Marshal of the Dutch States Army, serving under John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, the Allied commander-in-chief in the Low Countries.

Ginkell was succeeded in 1703, by his eldest son the 2nd earl (1668–1719), a distinguished soldier in the reigns of William III and Queen Anne.

On the death of the 10th Earl of Athlone without issue in 1844, however, the title expired.

Stamboom nr. : 3.270.

Generatie : 12.

view all

Godard van Reede, 1st Earl of Athlone's Timeline

June 4, 1644
Amerongen, Utrecht, Netherlands
October 20, 1668
Age 24
Utrecht, Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
September 19, 1669
Age 25
Amerongen, Utrecht Hill Ridge, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Age 29
November 14, 1678
Age 34
Utrecht, Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Age 40
Amerongen, Utrecht, Nederland
February 11, 1702
Age 57
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Amerongen, Utrecht, The Netherlands