Son of Robert Dundas, of Arniston and Anne Gordon
|Managed by:||Michael Lawrence Rhodes|
Historical records matching Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville
About Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville
Dundas, Viscount Melville, Henry. 28/04/1742-29/05/1811. Ref: 464. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Rt Hon, 1st, Viscount Melville and Baron Dunira(1802), PC.
- Place of Birth: Bishop's Land, Bishop's Close, High St. Edinburgh.
- Place of Death: Edinburgh.
- Place of interment: Old Church, Lasswade, Midlothian.
- Profession: Advocate, Statesman.
- Appointments Held: Advocate 1763; 1766 Solicitor-General; MP 1774-87, Midlothian, 1787-1802 Edinburgh; 1775-83 Lord Advocate; 1782-91 Treasurer of Navy; 1791-4, Home Secretary; 1794-1801 Secretary of War; 1804-6 1st Lord of Admiralty; President, East India Company.
- Schools and Tutors: High School Edinburgh.
- Undergraduate Studies: Edinburgh University.
- Postgraduate Studies: LL.D(Edinburgh 1789).
- Marital Status: Married 1st. (1765) Elizabeth Rennie of Melville d.1779. 2nd. (1793) Lady Jane Hope d.1829.
- Mother: Anne Gordon.
- Father: Robert Dundas of Arniston, Lord Arniston 1685-1753.
- Siblings: Half Brother of Robert Dundas, Lord Arniston FRSE 1713-1787.
- Other Family: uncle and father-in-law of Robert Dundas, FRSE 1758-1819, grandfather of Robert Dundas of Arniston, FRSE 1797-1838.
- References: DNB 16, 1888, 186-191; Anderson 2, 97-9; Chambers, 2, 189; Shapin 148; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981, 25; F J Grant 1944; W P Anderson 1931, 713.
- Memberships: FRCSE(Hon), Highland Society.
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Service to the RSE: Vice-President 1789-96. Key figure in obtaining Royal Charter.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002, pt. 1. A-J, page 276