About James M Rogers
Great James Street Church Londonderry - The following is the first portion of a much longer text.
"In 1869 Reverend James Maxwell Rodgers, of First Kilrea, was installed and began a ministry of 30 years. Notable alike for his influence on the congregation and in the community.
In 1884 the General Assembly met in Londonderry, and the Minister of Great James’ Street was called to the Moderator’s chair. In 1892, he received the degree of D.D., in acknowledgement for his work for the church, not least his outstanding services as Convenor of the Jewish Mission.
In 1893, a memorial to the General Assembly resulted in its name being changed to Great James’ Street Church, by which it has ever since been known.
the congregation prospered under its first minister until his retirement in 1869. His worth had previously been recognised by the Theological Faculty who had conferred upon him its Doctor of Divinity Degree. Dr. Denham died in 1871.
On Sunday, January 29, 1899, the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper was observed in Great James’ Street Church. Dr. Rodgers concucted the services, both morning and evening, and also took the Thanksgiving Service on the Monday.
Thereafter he presided at a meeting of Session and Committee and seemed to be in good health and spirits, but early next morning, he passed away after a short heart attack. His funeral was the largest the city has seen for many years. The whole community was shocked and saddened by the loss of one who was, by common consent, an outstanding citizen as well as a beloved minister."