|Birthplace:||Of, Knockin, Shropshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Cause of death:||between 1519 and 1520|
Daughter of George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange of Knockin and Joan Stanley, 10th Baroness Strange of Knockin Strange
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Matching family tree profiles for Jane Stanley
About Jane Stanley
- 'Joan (Jane) Stanley1,2,3
- 'F, b. circa 1483, d. between 1519 and 1520
- Father Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange, Constable of Pontefract, Knaresborough, & Wicklow Castles1,2,3 b. c 1460, d. 5 Dec 1503
- Mother Joan Strange1,2,3 b. c 1459, d. 20 Mar 1514
- ' Joan (Jane) Stanley was born circa 1483 at of Knockin, Shropshire, England.1 She married Sir Robert Sheffield, son of Sir Robert Sheffield, Speaker of the House of Commons and Helen (Ellen) Delves, before 1515; No issue.1,2,3 Joan (Jane) Stanley died between 1519 and 1520 at of Butterwick, Lincolnshire, England.1,3
- 'Family Sir Robert Sheffield b. c 1485, d. 15 Nov 1531
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 647.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 681.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 17-18.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p513.htm#i15429
- 'Jane STANLEY
- 'Born: ABT 1483
- Father: George STANLEY (B. Strange of Knockin)
- Mother: Joan STRANGE (10° B. Strange of Knockin)
- 'Married: Robert SHEFFIELD (Sir)
- 1. Edmund SHEFFIELD (1° B. Sheffield of Butterwick)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STANLEY1.htm#Jane STANLEY1
- George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange, of Knockyn, KG, KB (1460–1503) was an English nobleman and heir of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby. Despite predeceasing his father in 1503, he was nevertheless a considerable soldier and aristocrat in his own right and held a number of senior offices of state.
- He was born about 1460 in Knowsley, Lancashire, England, the eldest son of Thomas Stanley and his first wife Eleanor, sister of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. On his father's second marriage to Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond he became stepbrother to her son, Henry Tudor, later King Henry VII.
- He was invested as a Knight of the Order of the Bath in 1475 by King Edward IV. He held the offices of Constable of Pontefract Castle and Constable of Knaresborough Castle in 1485. He was present at the battle of Bosworth Field, but was held captive by Richard III because of his father's actions. He held the office of Constable of Wicklow Castle in 1486 and became Chief Justice of the Duchy of Lancaster in 1486. In 1487 he was invested with the Order of the Garter and made a Privy Counsellor.
- He was married in 1482 to Joan le Strange, 9th Baroness Strange (c. 1460 - 1514), daughter of John le Strange, 8th Baron Strange (c. 1440 - 1477) and Jacquetta Woodville (daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers and Jacquetta of Luxembourg), thereby becoming 9th Baron Strange de jure uxoris (in the right of his wife) and was summoned to Parliament in this role. Their children were:
- John Stanley (d. 1503)
- Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby (1485–1521)
- James Stanley, Knight (1486–1562), who founded the branch of the family known as the 'Stanleys of Bickerstaffe', from which the 11th Earl of Derby and all subsequent Earls descend
- George Stanley
- ' Jane Stanley, married Sir Robert Sheffield (died 15 November 1531, son of Robert Sheffield and Helen Delves) and had a son, Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield.
- Elizabeth Stanley
- Margaret Stanley
- He died in Derby House, St Paul's Wharf, London over 4–5 December 1503, allegedly of poison following a banquet. He was buried in the London church of St James Garlickhythe nearby.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1101.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stanley,_9th_Baron_Strange
- 'Jane Stanley1
- F, #174798
- Last Edited=6 Mar 2011
- ' Jane Stanley is the daughter of Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange (of Knokyn).1
- 'Child of Jane Stanley and Sir Robert Sheffield
- 1.Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield of Butterwicke+1 b. 22 Nov 1521, d. 31 Jul 1549
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XI, page 661. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p17480.htm#i174798