Matching family tree profiles for John Cameron Greenleaf
About John Cameron Greenleaf
John Cameron Greenleaf, AIA, (born 1878), was an American architect based in New York City who practiced in early twentieth century under his own name and as partner in the firm of Mills & Greenleaf.
Early life and education
Born June 2, 1878 in Lenox, Massachusetts, to Dr. Richard C. Greenleaf (b.1845, Boston, BA, Harvard (1866), MD, Harvard (1870)), physician, and Adalein E. Stone (B.1849, New Jersey). He went to Westminster School, took a select course at Yale University Sheffield Scientific School, “where he was a member of Delta Psi, the University Crew, the University Banjo Club, the Governing Board f the University Club, the Renaissance Club, and was chairman of the Triennial Committee, and was a Cup Man.” Thereafter, he attended Columbia University, Department of Architecture from 1899 to 1901, moved to Paris during the summer of 1901, attended the Ecole des Beaux Arts, Department of Architecture from 1903 to 1905.
Greenleaf returned to New York in August 1905, worked in New York firm before establishing the architecture firm of Mills & Greenleaf at 345 Fifth Avenue, New York City, with J. Laying Mills, who graduated from Yale in 1901. He was recorded to be a member of the following clubs: University, Yale, St. Anthony, and Architects; the Society of Beaux Arts, the Graduates Club of New Haven, and the Pelham Country Club.
As Mills & Greenleaf, the firm was many times awarded. In 1908, by the Board of Awards, in Albany, New York, and judged to be among the most meritorious designs for a competition entered for a state prison They were referenced as among the associate architects attached to the new state prison erected in Peekskill, New York, located on an unusually high plateau overlooking the Hudson River.
Mills & Greenleaf were selected “from the sixty-two designs submitted by the leading architects of the country for the great water gate and Fulton memorial which is to be erected in Riverside Drive between 114th and 116th Streets at an approximate cost of $2,500,000. The just of award of the Robert Fulton Monument Association announced yesterday at the Engineers’ Club the names of the ten successful competitors in the preliminary competition. The jury of award consisted of two architects, Thomas Hastings and George B. Post; two laymen, Robert Fulton Cutting and Isaac Guggenheim, and Lansing C. Holden as advisory architects. Each of these ten competitors received a prize of $500. The successful contestants are Charles P. Huntington, Mills & Greenleaf. Lawrence F. Peck, J.H. Freedlander, Bosworth & Holden, and Harold Van Buren Magonigle of New York City….”
He was very likely related to architect Lewis Greenleaf Adams, as that architect founded his first practice (Adams & Prentice) at offices in 15 West 38th Street, Manhattan, in 1929, which had been the premises of Greenleaf himself from as early as 1919 to as late as 1924.
1907: 171 Second Street, a six-storey brick-and-stone tenement for Margaret W Folsom of Waverly, Massachusetts (as Mills & Greenleaf of 345 5th Avenue) for the expected cost of $31,000.
1908: Associate architects attached to the new Sing Sing Prison Competition (Peekskill, New York)
1916: 15 East 64th Street, a five-storey fireproof residence Helen C. Thorpe of 6 East 69th Street for the expected cost of $$100,000.
1919: 118 West 13th Street, a two-storey brick laundry and infirmary for the Ladies’ Christian Union of New York City with Mrs. Louis H. Burr, President, Englewood, New Jersey for the expected cost of $31,000.
1923: 8-10 West 37th Street, a ten-storey brick store and loft building a speculative development corporation for the expected cost of $$300,000.