|Birthplace:||Plymouth, Plymouth Colony|
|Death:||Died in Taunton, Bristol County, Province of Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||West Tisbury, Martha's Vineyard, Dukes County, Massachusetts, United States|
Son of Samuel Eddy and Elizabeth Eddy
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John Eddy, of Taunton
About John Eddy, of Taunton
John "of Taunton" and John "of Tisbury" seem to be the same John.
Parents unknown. Nott John Eddy of Martha's Vineyard, the son of Samuel Eddy.
There has been some dispute about which of the John Eddys in Massachusetts was the John Eddy born 25 December 1637 at Plymouth to Samuel Eddy. According to The Eddy Family Association (1980), it was John Eddy of Tisbury, not John Eddy of Taunton.
This John Eddy came to Martha's Vineyard in 1660 and settled at Tisbury, where his wife's family lived. He seems to have been connected to the Daggett family, even before his marriage to Hepzibah Daggett, as his uncle John Eddy had married in England to Amey Doggett, of the same family.
John Eddy of Taunton
From the 1930 "Eddy Family in America" Compiled by Ruth Story Devereaux Eddy, A.B.,A.M.
JOHN EDDY OF TAUNTON AND HIS DESCENDANTS
9276 John Eddy (Parentage not known),
- d. Nov. 27, 1695, at Taunton, Mass.;
- m. (1) Nov. 12, 1665, Susannah Paddock of Dartmouth (Taunton, V.R.), who
- d. Mar 14, 16'70, at Taunton (V.R.).
- She was the dau. of Robert and Mary Paddock (Austin Gen. Reg., pp. 187-189).
- He m. (2) May 1, 1672, Deliverance Owen of Braintree, Mass. (Taunton and East Bridgewater, V.R.).
- She was the dau. of William and Elizabeth (Davis) Owen (Austin, 16o Allied Fam.) and was b. Feb. 15, 1654. Another authority gives the wife of William Owen as a daughter of Charles and Margaret Grice.
- Deliverance married (2) Nathaniel Smith, who died before 1717. (Taunton Deeds, Vol. XII, p. 202).
- She died May 3, 1726 at Norton, Mass.
For years Miss Clara Avery, a descendant of John Eddy of Taunton, has searched both in Old England and New England for some clue to the parentage of this John Eddy, but with no success. The compiler also has studied most carefully the early records of Plymouth and of Taunton. Every reference to this john Eddy previous to 16'70 which has been discovered is hereafter recorded. Both Miss Avery and the compiler feel that there is a very close association between the family of John Eddy of Taunton and Samuel Eddy of Plymouth and that John at one time was either a member of Samuel's household or else a very close neighbor.
The first mention in the records of the John Eddy known later as John Eddy of Taunton, carpenter, is as a witness to a deed in which John Eddy of Plymouth, blacksmith, was the grantee. He purchased lands adjoining those of John Eddway (Eddy), carpenter. The deed follows:
John Eddy, of Taunton's Timeline
December 25, 1637
Plymouth, Plymouth Colony
May 3, 1659
Tisbury, Dukes County, Massachusetts, United States
Marthas Vineyard, Dukes co., Massachusetts
Falmouth, Cape Cod (Present Barnstable County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts)
Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, Province of New York
January 19, 1670
Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA