About John Hurd
- A history and genealogy of the family of Hurd in the United States, and a partial history of the New England families of Heard and Hord, including a treatise on nomenclature, heraldry and coat armour, and ancestry (1910)
- Pg. 28
- JOHN HURD (1) of Windsor, Conn., b. Somersetshire, Eng.
- 2 Adam, b. Somersetshire, Eng. 1611; m. Hannah Barbraum.*(Written Bertram and Bertrand in old records.)
- 3 John, b. Somersetshire, Eng., 1613; d. Stratford, Conn., Feb. 4, 1681.
- ADAM (2), r. Stratford, Conn., 1644.
- 4 John, b. ___ , d. 1683; m. Johanna Judson, Dec. 10, 1662.
- JOHN (3), r. Stratford, Conn., 1644, o. miller.
- 5 John, b. __, d. Mar. 9, 1682: m. Sarah Thompson of Salisbury Conn., Dec. 10, 1662.
- Pg. 29
- JOHN (4), rm. Woodbury, Conn., o. miller.
- 6 Judson, b. Dec. 10, 1663; d. ch.
- 7 Sarah, b. Dec. 10, 1663.
- 8 Joseph, b. Feb. 9, 1665; m. Jane __.
- 9 Benjamin, b. Feb. 16, 1666; m. Sarah Kimberly.
- 10 Ebenezer, b. Nov. 1668; m. Sarah Pickett Lane.
- 11 Ruth, b. Feb. 20, 1670.
- 12 John, b. Aug. 17, 1673; d. Apr. 27, 1773; m. Elizabeth __.
- JOHN HURD (4), OF WOODBURY, CONN.
- JOHN HURD (4) may justly be called the first "promoter' of this line of ancestry. He was one of that little band of ambitious men .... etc.
- JOHN HURD (5), r. "Hurd Place," Stratford, Conn.; o. farmer.
- 13 John R., b. Dec. 16, 1663; m., Jan. 5, 1692, Abigail Wallis.
- 14 Sarah, b. Feb., 1665.
- 15 Hannah, b. Sept., 1667; m. Samuel Galpin.
- 16 Isaac, b. June 2, 1669; d. Nov. 28, 1732; m. Hannah Dunning, n. ch.
- 17 Jacob, b. Nov. 16, 1671; d. ch.
- 18 Mary, b. Aug. 15, 1673; m. John Bennet, of Fairfield Co.
- 19 Esther, b. Aug. 10, 1676; m. Philip Francis.
- 20 Abigail, b. Feb. 22, 1679; m. Samuel Bissell.
- History of ancient Woodbury, Connecticut: from the first Indian ..., Volume 2 By William Cothren
- HURD FAMILY.
- A little care is necessary to avoid confusion here. John Hurd, among the first settlers of Meriden, came so early to Stratford, that he represented the town in 1649. He had either a brother or a son Adam, probably his brother, because both Adam's, son John and John's son John, were m. in Dec. 1662. These two Johns are sometimes styled "cousins," on the record, which would make Adam a brother of the elder John. But again, Adam's son John is styled nephew of the other John, which implies brotherhood of their fathers, although the two terms of kinship are carelessly exchanged.
- On Dec. 10 1662, John Hurd, Jr., (so called) son of Adam, m. Ann, widow of Joshua Judson, and he had Sarah, Dec. 1664; Joseph, Feb. ? 1666; Benjamin, Feb. 1667; Ebenezer, Nov. 1668. Ruth, Feb. 1670; John, Aug. 1673. This John the son of Adam is he who went to Woodbury.
- The other John son of John, m. Dec. 15, 1662, Sarah, dau. of John Thompson, and from 1664, to 1679, had eight children. John, Sarah, Hannah, Isaac, Jacob, Mary, Esther, Abigail, but of these I suppose you have no need.
- HURD, John
- b. 1613
- d. 1681 Stratford, Fairfield, CT.
- Marriage: 15 DEC 1662
- Spouse: THOMPSON, Sarah
- b. 1642 Stratford, Fairfield, CT.
- d. JAN 1717/8 Stratford, Fairfield, CT.
- Father: THOMPSON, John
- Mother: Miriam,
- HURD, John
- HURD, Hannah b. 27 SEP 1667 Stratford, Fairfield, CT.
- HURD, Isaac
- HURD, Mary
- HURD, Esther b. 20 AUG 1676 Stratford, Fairfield, CT.
- HURD, Abigail b. 12 FEB 1678/9 Stratford, Fairfield, CT.
- HURD, Sarah
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_b6.htm#95
Pioneer of what is now known as Maine: http://books.google.com/books?id=3X-4t4qKo-IC&lpg=PA1546&ots=4Yz4c7Ibkk&dq=%22John%20Hurd%22%2BPioneer%20of%20Connecticut&pg=PA1546#v=onepage&q=%22John%20Hurd%22+Pioneer%20of%20Connecticut&f=false
- (Does this reference have anything to do with this Profile ?)
- Genealogical and Family History of the State of Maine, Volume 3 By Henry Sweetser Burrage, Albert Roscoe Stubbs
- Pg. 1546
- John Hurd, immigrant ancestor, located at what is now Dover, New Hampshire, in 1636 ....
- Pg. 1547
- He married, about 1642, Elizabeth dau. of the Rev. Joseph Hull, of York, Maine and among their children was a son Benjamin, see forward, and possibly a son John, as the father was often mentioned as John Hurd, Sr., indicating that he had a son by that name.
- (II) Benjamin, son of John and Elizabeth (Hull) Hurd, was a native of Dover, New Hampshire. He was an early settler in North Berwick, York county, Maine. He married a Miss Andrews, and among their children was a son Benjamin.
John Hurd's Timeline
August 5, 1639
May 17, 1642
Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
February 17, 1665
Stratford, Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
September 27, 1667
June 2, 1669
Stratford, Fairfield, CT, USA
November 16, 1671
August 15, 1673
Stratford, Fairfield County, Connecticut Colony
August 15, 1673
August 20, 1676