About John Porter
John Porter Sr. (1595–1676) was the patriarch of the richest family in Salem. He had four sons, John Porter Jr. (1618–84), Joseph Porter (1638–1714), Benjamin Porter (1639–1723), and Israel Porter (1644–1706), and a daughter, Sarah Porter (1649–1725).
JOHN PORTER: John Porter and his wife Mary came over in 1635. He settled first in Hingham, Mass, where he had lands granted to him-- 55 acres of upland, 6 acres of salt meadow and 5 acres of fresh meadow. He must have been a well-educated man, for he at once took a leading part in the community and was selected for public office. In 1640 he was appointed on a committee to divide the lands at Cohasset, Mass that still remained ungranted; in 1641 he was chosen assessor for Hingham, Mass and in 1644 he was elected Deputy to the General Court of Mass. In May, 1643, he bought from the Rev. Samuel Sharp, for 117 pounds, a farm in that part of Salem, Mass now known as Danvers. He subsequently purchased other extensive properties in the vicinity, and when he died he was the largest landholder in the Salem, Mass. district. In 1646 he removed to his newly acquired property, and in 1668 he was elected to represent Salem, Mass. in the General Court.
Wherever he lived, he was a man of energy and influence, and held many places of trust and responsibility. He died at Danvers 6th Sept., 1676, aged 80, and his widow, Mary Porter, died in 1684. From the list of Residents of Salem, The First Town of the Massachusetts Bay Commonwealth, From Original Records up to the Year 1651, John Porter is listed as a resident of Salem in 1643, a member of the 1st Church in 1649, and was a Freeman in 1643. "http://www.winthropsociety.org/salem3.htm ". John was a mariner.
American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) about John Porter Name: John Porter Birth Date: 1595 Birthplace: Eng, Massachusetts, tanner Volume: 138 Page Number: 517 Reference: Directory of the anc. heads of New England fams. Comp. By Frank R. Holmes. NewYork, 1923. (274p.):192
"A Potter-Richardson Memorial" compiled by Doreen Potter Hanna & Louise Potter Page 285 - courtesy of by Wanda Ryg "John Porter-1, farmer, born about 1596, in England, was a freeman, 1633, in Roxbury, Massachusetts; in Hingham, 1635; bought land in Salem in 1644. His wife, Mary, was admitted to the church in Salem in 1644. He was the largest land owner in Salem; established the first tanner y in New England; was a friend of Governor Endicott; noted for integrity; held in high regard in civil, patriotic, and religious matters. He died in Salem, September 6, 1676."
(?) U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700 about John Porter Name: John Porter Gender: Male Birth Year: About 1596 Marriage Date: About 1623 Death Year: 1676 Marriage Place: New England, United States Spouse's Name: Mary Gardner
U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s about John Porter Name: John Porter Arrival year: 1630 Arrival Place: Salem, Massachusetts Source Publication Code: 6111.6 Primary Immigrant: Porter, John Annotation: Date and place of arrival. Place of origin, ship name, intended destination, and other genealogical data are provided for some. Source Bibliography: "NEW ENGLAND SHIP AND PASSENGER LISTS." In Boulder Genealogical Society Quarterly (Boulder, CO). Vol. 4:2 (May 1972), pp. 27-30 (1630). Page: 27
The siege of Saybrook escalated the Pequot War in Connecticut Colony, and indirectly resulted in the attack and destruction of Mistick Fort (May 1637)