Matching family tree profiles for Kaika Laine
About Kaika Laine
- Laine Roht, tuntud ka kui Kaika Laine ja Kaika nõid (sünninimi Laine Laas; 4. mai 1927 Kaika küla, Antsla vald – 21. aprill 2013) oli eesti rahvaravitseja. http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laine_Roht
- Witch of Kaika (Laine Roht) - one of the best-known Estonian healers.
- Kaika Laine (born 1927) comes from a family that has brought forth several folk healers, but also formal doctors of remedy. Her great-grandmother and father were witch doctors.
- Karula personaalraamatus: http://www.ra.ee/dgs/_purl.php?shc=EAA.1297.1.679:225?418,1877,1065,634,0
- Püssa talus 1938-1939 Saaga ERA.40.1.6107:34?538,1940,136,56,0
- Laine usutlus Kuku raadios: http://kuku.s3.amazonaws.com/kukulkulas/kukulkulas20090719.mp3
- Postimehe artikkel 1999 aastast: http://arhiiv2.postimees.ee:8080/utiliidid/reis/lugu17.htm
- Laine has primary (6-year) education. She was born with the so-called sign of a doctor: as the midwife (Kadi Aab: Katre Aab) maintains, at birth she had the sign like a cross, a cup of poison and a snake on her forehead. In her development years, besides her midwife, she had personal contacts with a witch doctor who lived near Sangaste and with Marta Hamer, an elderly healer and soothsayer near Põlva. She began to heal people when she was 33, and her healing methods belong to the routine of the traditional folk medicine. In most cases she recites her prayers and spells over remedies, but in the recent years she has taught her patients to use the method of acupressure when applying an ointment to the skin. This she has learned from other healers. Her spells she also found from the volume of magical spells of the Anthology of Estonian Folk Songs, a tip she got from a good acquaintance. Laine has been in friendly relations with several witch doctors during her practice, she has also had disciples, some of whom have co-operated with her for some time. She has received patients in co-operation with a man who in the nearest town was known as a pendulum diagnostician and who later became an independent healer. In the latest years one of her constant associates has been a lecturer from Tartu University, a man of degree. Her relations with other witch doctors and disciples have been unsteady: besides those with whom she has maintained mutual affection for a long time, there are those towards whom she develops resentment and (mutual) distrust in the course of their apprenticeship. Laine has no children, and her brothers, sisters or their children have had no ambition to become healers.