Son of Vice Admiral George Forbes, 3rd Earl of Granard and Hon. Mary Forbes (Stewart), Countess of Granard
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Lt. Gen. George Forbes, 4th Earl of Granard
About Lt. Gen. George Forbes, 4th Earl of Granard
From Darryl Lundy's Peerage page on George Forbes:
Lt.-Gen. George Forbes, 4th Earl of Granard 
- M, #61473,
- b. 15 March 1710,
- d. 16 October 1769
- Last Edited=10 Apr 2011
- Consanguinity Index=3.13%
Lt.-Gen. George Forbes, 4th Earl of Granard was born on 15 March 1710. He was the son of Vice-Admiral George Forbes, 3rd Earl of Granard and Hon. Mary Stewart.
He married Letitia Davys, daughter of Arthur Davys and Hon. Catherine Stewart, on 16 July 1736.
He died on 16 October 1769 at age 59.
- He was commissioned in 1726, in the service of the British Army.
- He fought in the Battle of Toulon in 1744, against a Franco-Spanish fleet.
- He gained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in 1746 in the service of the Tangier Regiment. He was Quartermaster-General [ireland] between 1754 and 1757. He was Colonel of the 76th Foot between 1756 and 1761. He gained the rank of Major-General in 1759. He was Colonel of the 29th Foot between 1761 and 1769. He gained the rank of Lieutenant-General in 1765.
- He succeeded to the title of 4th Viscount of Granard, co. Longford [I., 1675] on 4 October 1765. He succeeded to the title of 4th Baron Clanehugh, co. Longford [I., 1675] on 4 October 1765. He succeeded to the title of 5th Baronet Forbes, of Castle Forbes, Co. Longford, Ireland [N.S., 1628] on 4 October 1765. He succeeded to the title of 4th Earl of Granard [I., 1684] on 4 October 1765.
Child of Lt.-Gen. George Forbes, 4th Earl of Granard and Letitia Davys
- 1. George Forbes, 5th Earl of Granard+1 b. 2 Apr 1740, d. 16 Apr 1780
- 1. [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1628. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- Burke, Bernard, Sir. A genealogical and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire. London : Harrison 1869. page 510