Maj David Jackson Lewis

Is your surname Lewis?

Research the Lewis family

Maj David Jackson Lewis's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Maj David Jackson Lewis

Birthplace: Albemarle County, Virginia, United States
Death: 1826 (51-52)
Breckinridge County, Kentucky, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of John Terrell Lewis and Susanna Lewis
Husband of Martha Baker and Martha Lewis
Father of Martha Jane Washington Lewis; Thomas Lewis; Dr. John Terrell Lewis; Elizabeth Butts Algeo and Dr. Jesse Pitman Lewis
Brother of Susan Lewis and Julius Clarkson Lewis
Half brother of Robert Lewis; Taliaferro Lewis; Col. John I. Lewis; Mildred McCoy Rowland; Charles Crawford Lewis and 5 others

Managed by: Pam Wilson (may be slow to respond)
Last Updated:

About Maj David Jackson Lewis

Twin of Julius.

From William Terrell Lewis' published family history:



D 12. Major David Jackson Lewis, son of John by his second wife, Susan Clarkson, was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, in 1774; was a twin-brother to Julius Clarkson Lewis. In stature David J. was six feet four and a half inches, with dark auburn hair and blue eyes, weighing two hundred and fourteen pounds. His temperament was nervo-sanguineus. In personal appearance he very much resembled General Andrew Lewis, the hero of Point Pleasant. In 1794 he volunteered and joined an expedition to quell the whisky insurrection in Western Pennsylvania, caused by the Government assessing a tax on all whisky that was made. The citizens refused to pay it and rebelled. It was quelled by a body of militia commanded by Governor Lee, of Maryland, and General Morgan, of Virginia, ordered out by General Washington, upon whose approach the insurgents laid down their arms, solicited the clemency of the Government and promised future submission to the laws, etc. After the above-mentioned insurrection was quelled, Major David J. Lewis and others descended the Ohio river from Pittsburg in flatboats to the falls, where Louisville, Ky., now stands. He there purchased a horse and traveled through the interior to Green creek, in Bourbon county, Kentucky, to his uncle, Julius Clarkson, and thence through the wilderness by a blind trace over bogs, mountains and rivers, at the peril of scalp, neck and flood. He was in active military service at the city of Norfolk, Va., in the War of 1812 with great Britain, where he acted as major in the Quartermaster's Department. He was a magistrate, member of the County Court and Sheriff of Albemarle county, Virginia, for many years previous to his removal from that county, in 1819, to Breckinridge county, Kentucky. To a casual observer he had the semblance of a stern, haughty man, yet he contemned and despised anything like ostentation or vanity, and no man was more kind and affectionate to his family and friends. There was no tie of consanguinity too remote for his cordial recognition. He was sensitive in his feelings, refined and unassuming in his manners, plain and simple in his dress, temperate in his desires and regular in his habits. He was never known to' swerve from the cardinal principles of honesty, integrity, uprightness, probity, sincerity and truth. His motto and advice to his family was to live economical, and manufacture everything that they could for home consumption. His business qualifications were of the highest order. About the year 1802 he married Martha, daughter of Glover Baker, of Liberty county, Virginia. In 1819 he sold out his possessions in Albemarle county, Virginia, and moved to Breckinridge county, Kentucky. He sold his land to John M. Perry, for $12,053. Nelson Barksdale, the son-in-law of Jesse P. Lewis, of Albemarle county, Virginia, became the owner of the land afterward. David J. Lewis raised eleven children; eight of them were born in Albemarle county, and three in Breckinridge county, Kentucky. He and his wife both died in Breckinridge county in 1826. The following are the names of their children: E 1. Dr. John Terrell, born in 1803. E 2. Mary Terrell, born in 1804. E 3. Susan Clarkson, born in 1806. E 4. Elizabeth Butts, born in 1808. E 5. James Harvey, born in 1810. E 6. Julius Overton, born in 1812. E 7. Maria Madison, born in 1816. E 8. Dr. Jesse Pitman, born in 1818. E 9. David Benjamin, born in 1820. E 10. Martha Jane Washington, born in 1822. E 11. Thomas Jefferson, born in 1825. E 1. Dr. John Terrell Lewis was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, in 1803, and emigrated to Kentucky with his father in 1819. His height is six feet three inches, weighing one hundred and fiftyfive pounds, with light hair, blue eyes, fair skin and of a nervo-sanguineus temperament. He is easily excited, hopeful under almost all circumstances, cheerful almost to levity, very affable and social. His life has been an eventful one. Deprived of both parents in a few months—just at a time when he had most need of them—the care of his helpless brothers and sisters devolving upon him, many of whom soon sank into their graves, were sore trials to his young heart. He graduated in the Medical Department of Transylvania University of Kentucky in 1828, and by his indefatigable assiduousness he soon rose to eminence in his profession. He has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession up to the present time (1875) with the exception of two years spent on his farm, where he retired for the purpose of recuperating his lost health. Twelve years of his most active professional life were spent in Lexington, Ky. In 182C he married Letitia Gardner Downing, daughter of Francis Downing, in the city of Lexington, Ky. She was born in 1806 and died in the same place in 1844. Francis Downing raised only three children, viz.: 1, Letitia G. Downing; 2, Francis Downing, Jr., and 3, Richard Downing. [Extract from McCluug's Sketches of Western Adventure, page 199] In the month of August, 1786, Mr. Francis Downing, Sr., then a mere lad, was living in a fort where, subsequently, some iron works were erected by Mr. Jacob Myers, which are now known by the name of Slate Creek Works, and are the property of Colonel Thomas Dye Owings. About the 16th a young man belonging to the fort called upon Downing and requested his assistance in hunting for a horse which had strayed away on the preceding evening. Downing readily complied, and the two friends traversed the woods in every direction until at length, toward evening, they found themselves in a wild valley at the distance of six or seven miles from the fort. Here Downing became alarmed and repeatedly assured his elder companion (whose name was Yates) that he heard sticks cracking behind them and was confident that Indians were dogging them. Yates, being an experienced hunter, and from habit grown indifferent to the dangers of the woods, diverted himself freely at the expense of his young companion, often inquiring at what price he rated his scalp, and offering to insure it for a sixpence. Downing, however, was not so easily satisfied. He observed that in whatever direction they turned the same ominous sounds continued to haunt them, and as Yates still treated his fears with the most perfect indifference he determined to take his measures upon his own responsibility. Gradually slackening his pace, he permitted Yates to advance twenty or thirty steps in front of him, and immediately after descending a gentle hill he suddenly sprung aside and hid himself in a thick cluster of whortleberry bushes. Yates, who at that time was performing some woodland ditty to the full extent of his lungs, was too much pleased with his own voice to attend either to Downing or the Indians and was quickly out of sight. Scarcely had he disappeared when Downing, to his unspeakable terror, beheld two savages put aside the stalks of a canebrake and look out cautiously in the direction which Yates had taken. Fearful that they had seen him step aside he determined to fire upon them and trust to his heels for safety, but so unsteady was his hand that in raising his gun to his shoulder it went off before he had taken aim. He lost no time in following its example, and after having run fifty yards he met Yates, who, alarmed at the report, was hastily retracing his steps. It was not necessary to inquire what was the matter. The enemy were in full view, pressing forward with great rapidity, and "devil take the hindmost" was the order of the day. Yates would not outstrip Downing, but ran by his side, although in so doing he risked both of their lives. The Indians were well acquainted with the country, and soon took a path that diverged from the one which the whites followed at one^point and rejoined it at another, bearing the same relation to it that the string does to the bow. The two paths were, at no point, distant from each other more than one hundred yards, so that Yates and Downing could easily see the enemy gaining rapidly upon them. They reached the point of reunion first, however, and quickly came to a deep gully which it was necessary to cross or retrace their steps. Yates cleared it without difficulty, but Downing, being much exhausted, fell short, and falling with his breast against the opposite brink rebounded with violence and fell at full length on the bottom. The Indians crossed the ditch a few yards below him and, eager for the capture of Yates, continued the pursuit without appearing to notice Downing. The latter, who at first had given himself up for lost, quickly recovered his strength and began to walk slowly along the ditch, fearing to leave it lest the enemy should see him. As he advanced, however, the ditch became more shallow until at length it ceased to protect him at all. Looking around cautiously he saw one of the Indians returning apparently in quest of him. Unfortunately, he had neglected to reload his gun while in the ditch, and as the Indian instantly advanced upon him he had no resource but flight. Throwing away his gun, which was now useless, he plied his legs manfully in ascending a long ridge which stretched before him, but the Indian gained upon him so rapidly that he lost all hope of escape. Coming, at length to a large poplar which had been blown up by the roots, he ran along the body of the tree upon one side while the Indian followed it upon the other, doubtless expecting to intercept him at the root. But here the supreme dominion of fortune was manifested. It happened that a large she-bear was suckling her cubs in a bed which she had made at the root of the tree, and as the Indian reached that point first she instantly sprang upon him, and a prodigious uproar took place. The Indian yelled and stabbed with his knife; the bear growled and saluted him with one of her most endearing "hugs," while Downing, fervently wishing her success, ran off through the woods without waiting to see the event of the struggle. Downing reached the fort in safety and found Yates reposing, after a hot chase, having eluded his pursuers and gained the fort two hours before him. On the next morning they collected a party and returned to the poplar tree, but no traces either of the Indian or bear were to be found. They both probably escaped with their lives, although not without injury. The foregoing adventure of Francis Downing, Sr., is but one of the many in which he was engaged. Most of them were published in the Kentucky Gazette by John Bradford, the first editor of the first paper published west of the mountains, under the caption of Bradford's Notes on Kentucky. Mr. Downing's name is mentioned in the life of Daniel Boone. He was in every Indian campaign in which he had a chance to go; was one of the party from Lexington, or McConnell's Station, which forced their way through Simon Girty's forces in ambush and safely reached Bryan's Station. He was also in one of the divisions pursuing Girty after his retreat, which did not come up until after the "Battle of the Blue Licks." When quite a boy he was sent to Lexington by his father on particular business, when guns were as common an appendage to a man as are pocket-knives in our day. He chanced to be passing where Gen. Charles Scott's forces were drilling near to Ashland, the subsequent residence of the late Henry Clay, and without parley or delay he fell into ranks. A friend urged him to go to Lexington, attend to his business and return home, but he refused to do so. Arrived at Louisville (the falls) the friend determined to appeal to Gen. Scott. He did so, telling the old General that he ought to send the boy back to his family. Scott had him brought into his presence and thus accosted him: Well, my little man, have you a gun?" "Yes, sir." "Have you a horse?" "Yes, sir." "Have you any money?" "Yes, sir." "Then, d—n it," said Scott, "let the little fellow go." He did go, and in his eagerness to shoot a "red skin" in one of his conflicts he came very near being shot in the head. His guardian friend was warning him not to thus expose himself when a ball aimed at his head struck the bark of the tree and forced the flying pieces against his head and in his eyes, giving severe pain. His friend ran to him and asked, "Are you hurt much?" "I reckon I am," said he, feeling deliberately the back of his head. "Look for the bullet hole, will you?" Mr. Downing lost an eye in early life by the accidental cut of a sword, while playfully fencing with a friend, which gave character to all his diseases in after life. He died of apoplexy in Lexington, Ky., in 1831, aged about sixty. He was beloved and esteemed by all who knew him, and was among the most amiable of men. In 1826 Dr. John T. Lewis married Letitia G. Downing, by whom he had seven children, viz.: F 1. David Jackson, born 1827; resides at Carrollton, Ky. He served three years and six months in the Confederate Army, but was never wounded. F 2. Frances Downing, born 1828; married, in 1846, Dr. Joel T. Hickman, a son of Jas. Lewis Hickman and his wife, Maria Shackelford, and a grandson of Joel Hickman and his wife, Frances G. Wilson. Dr. Joel T. and his wife are third cousins. Mrs. Frances D., wife of Dr. Joel T. Hickman, died in Christian county, Kentucky, in 1861, of pulmonary consumption. She was a sprightly, interesting, beautiful and accomplished lady; pure and stainless. She passed away from this world to a home in heaven. For the names, etc., of her children see Dr. Joel T. Hickman's posterity on another page. F 3. John James, son of Dr. John T. Lewis, born 1831; died 1832. F 4. Richard Thomas, son of Dr. John T. Lewis, born 1833; died 1834. F 5. Margaret Downing, daughter of Dr. John T. Lewis, born 1835; died single. F 6. John Terrell, Jr., son of Dr. John T. Lewis, born 1838. He was in the Provost Marshal's office in Louisville, Ky., United States service, the last year of the War of 1861. F 7. Martha Laura, born 1840, and died 1846. The seven children of Dr. John T. Lewis by his first wife were all born in Lexington, Ky. His first wife having died in 1844, in 1846 he married Sarah Jane Bosworth near Lexington, Ky., and in 1847 he located in Carrollton, Ky., where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1875, caused from a fall on the ice on the Ohio river which broke his hip. Sarah J., his second wife, died in December, 1891, aged about sixty-five years. She was a pious member of the Methodist church. Her funeral was preached by Rev. C. J. Nugent. The names of his children, by his second wife, are: F 8. Dr. Nathaniel Bosworth, was born in 1847, and died at the residence of his mother, Mrs. Sarah Lewis, in Carrollton, Ky., on the 13th day of August, 1888, after an illness of twenty-one days, of bilious fever complicated with inflammation of the liver. In his death the public has lost an upright, moral, worthy citizen; the medical profession an estimable and zealous member, whose manly independence and integrity of character entitled him to the esteem and respect of the community in which he lived. He was born, reared and educated in Carrollton, Ky. He studied his profession under the care of his father, Dr. John Terrell Lewis; graduated in the year 1869 from the University at Louisville; and soon after located in Worthville, Ky., where he entered upon the arduous duties of his profession and established himself in the confidence of the public as a skillful and intelligent physician. After his aeath the following sketch appeared in a Carrollton, Ky., paper: Dr. Nat. B. Lewis is dead! The hopes and prayers of his friends, of the entire community, in fact—for all were solicitous as to his condition—did not avail to restore him to health, though they were not void of good effect. As we went to press last week his condition was critical, but it was hoped that his robust constitution would enable him to withstand the great enemy; and people continued to hope almost against hope until the last moment. Death conquered on Sunday morning. No death which has occurred in this country in many a day shocked the people as much as did that of Dr. Lewis. He was the perfect picture of health, being strong and well developed and only forty years of age. These facts, together with his temperate habits, seemed to almost insure that he would be spared yet for many years. But how uncertain is life! His sudden death was the severest dispensation which Providence has recently visited our people. The main facts of his life, the circumstances attending his death and the cardinal virtues of his character are so well set out in a tribute from the pen of Dr. Goslee, printed in another column, that it is unnecessary for us to dwell upon them. Suffice it to say that Dr. Goslee does not over-rate the case when speaking of the character of the deceased. So far as we are personally concerned he had always been our friend and for some time our physician, and we appreciated him for the real worth of his character. The 'funeral on Wednesday afternoon was largely attended, many of his friends from Worthville and vicinity being present. Rev. M. W. Hiner, who conducted the services, delivered one of the very best discourses we ever heard on a similar occasion, and the whole audience was moved to tears. The pall-bearers were the president, cashier and several of the directors of the First National Bank of Carrollton, the deceased having been one of the original stockholders and for some time a director of the bank. F 9. Ann Moore Madison, born in Madison, Ind., in 1850; married Wm. C. Darling in 1876. F 10. Harriet Elizabeth, born in Carrollton in 1852. F 11. Charles Henry, born in Carrollton in 1853. F 12. Wm. Winstow, born in Carrollton in 1855; married Miss Nina B. Splitgerber and resides at Menardsville, Tex. F 13. Sarah Jessie, born in Carrollton in 1863. F 14. Martha Washington, born in Carrollton in 1866, and F 15. George Thomas, born in Carrollton in 1868. E 2. Mary Terrell Lewis, daughter of David J., was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, in 1804, and died single in Breckinridge county, Kentucky, in 1820. E 3. Susan Clarkson, daughter of David J. Lewis, was born in 1806, and died single in Breckinridge county, Kentucky, in 1826. E 4. Elizabeth Butts, daughter of David J. Lewis, was born in 1808. In 1827 she married Samuel Algeo, of Pittsburg, Pa. She died in 1832, in Hardinsburg, Breckinridge county, Ky., and he in 1844. They left two children, viz.: F 1. Mary Enfield, born in 1828; married Mr. Brown, and F 2. William David, born in 1830. E 5. James Harvey Lewis, son of David J., was born in 1810, and died single in Lexington, Ky., in 1831. E 6. Julius Overton Lewis, son of David J., was born in 1812, and died in 1831, while on his way to Texas, near the line between Mississippi and Louisiana. He never married. James H. and Julius O., two promising brothers in the bloom of life, were thus called from time to eternity. "Be ye, therefore, ready also, for the Son of man Cometh at an hour when ye think not." E 7. Maria Madison, daughter of David J. Lewis, born in 1816. She married Robert Riley, of Hardinsburg, Ky., and died near Orleans, Ind. She had two children, both of whom died in infancy. E 8. Dr. Jesse Pitman, son of David J. Lewis, was born in 1818. His height is five feet eleven and three-quarter inches, weighing two hundred pounds, with fair skin, blue eyes and dark hair, and of a nervo-sanguineus temperament. He graduated in medicine in 1845, at the Transylvania University at Lexington, Ky. He is a member of the Methodist church, and resides near Webster, Meade county, Ky. In 1842 he married Elizabeth Moorman, daughter of J. P. Moorman, of Hardin county, Kentucky, by whom he had three children, viz.: F 1. John Terrell, born in 1844. In the fall of 1861 he went to Memphis, and joined Captain Overton's company in Forrest's Regiment, and was with Forrest in a gun-boat fight on the Cumberland river. He was taken sick soon afterward at Hopkinsville, Ky., of typhoid fever. Just before the battle of Shilo he reported himself for duty, joined the infantry, drilled all day on Monday, and at night was taken sick and died on Thursday following—the 3d of April, 1862, and was inhumed at Burnsville, Tishamingo county, Miss., on the Mobile & Ohio Railroad. F 2. Jesse Taylor, born 1847 and died 1851. F 3. Elizabeth Bunch, born 1849 and died 1850. In 1849, Elizabeth, the wife of Dr. Jesse P. Lewis, departed this life, and in 1852 he married, as his second wife, Adelia Moorman, daughter of J. Moorman, of Breckinridge county, Kentucky. Elizabeth and Adelia were third cousins. The children by his second wife are: F 4. William C., born 1854, etc. E 9. Captain David Benjamin Lewis, son of David J., was born in 1820 in Breckinridge county, Kentucky, soon after his father settled in said county. He is six feet in stature, weighing one hundred and seventy pounds, with fair skin, blue eyes, dark hair and of sanguine temperament. He is a farmer; sometimes taught school and the latter part of his life he practiced medicine. He resides near Howell Springs, in Hardin county, Ky. He is a steward in the Methodist church and captain of the militia in his county. In 1839 he married Lucy Moorman, daughter of Achilles Moorman, of Hardin county, Kentucky. She was first cousin to Elizabeth Moorman, the first wife of Dr. Jesse P. Lewis. The children of Captain David B. Lewis are, viz: F 1. Vivian Irving, born in 1841. He belonged to the Confederate Army and fought faithfully throughout the war, and when Johnson surrendered his command was comprised in the escort of President Davis. He was wounded at Fort Donelson and sent to Nashville just before the surrender of the former. At Dug Gap he had his gun cut in two by a ball just in front of his hand when in the act of firing. F 2. Clinton Augustus, born in 1843; was a soldier in the Confederate Army. He joined the army in August, 1862, and the third day after he joined he was captured and taken to Johnson's Island and was exchanged about Christmas at Vicksburg, where he was detained awhile on account of sickness. On his way to join his command at Chattanooga he spent a very sick night in a stable-loft in the city of Jackson, Miss. He was shot through his clothes and his horse fell under him at Farmington, Tenn. He had the reins of his bridle cut by a ball and his hand slightly wounded in North Carolina, and came near dying of typhoid fever just after the battle of Chicamaugua. Vivian and Augustus both belonged to the Second Kentucky Cavalry, first under Forrest, then under Gen. Williams, to the close of the war. F 3. James Clifford, born in 1845. F 4. Jesse Winfield, born in 1847. F 5. John Thompson, born in 1850. F 6. Elizabeth Enfield, born in 1852. F 7. Martha Ella, born in 1854. E 10. Martha Jane, daughter of David J. Lewis, was born in 1822. She was five feet eight inches in height, with fair skin, blue eyes and dark hair. In 1838 she married Dr. Wm. D. Owen, son of Thomas Owen, of Breckinridge county, Kentucky. Dr. Owen was born in 1811. She had eight children and died near Rock Lick, in Breckinridge county, Ky. She was an exemplary member of the United Baptist church. She lived and died like a Christian and was the idol of her sorrowing husband and brothers. She was kind, ingenious, conciliating, true and faithful, and elicited the love and esteem of all who knew her. The following are the names of her children: F 1. James Thomas, born in 1839. F 2. Ophelia Murrit, born in 1841, and died 1841. F 3. Delia Harriet, born in 1842. F 4. William David, born in 1845. F 5. Lucy Ann, born in 1847. F 6. John Lewis, born in 1849; burned to death in 1852. F 7. Priscilla Frances, born in 1851. F 8. Richard, born in 1853.

E 11. Thomas Jefferson Lewis, son of David J., was born in 1824. He is six feet two and one-quarter inches in height, weighing one hundred and sixty pounds, with fair skin, blue eyes, dark hair and of a nervo-sanguineus temperament. He is a farmer, and a member of the Baptist church. He resides near Planters Hall, in Breckinridge county, Ky. In 1844 he married Eliza W. Owen, daughter of T. G. Owen, of the same county. She was also a niece of Dr. Wm. Daniel Owen. Thomas J. has the following-named children: F 1. Kate, born in 1845; married Edgar Bennett, and had issue, viz.: G 1, Guy; G 2, Beulah; G 3, Earle, and G 4, Edgar Bennett; post-office, Irvington, Ky. F 2. William Watkins, born in 1847; married Lula Millett and had issue, viz.: G 1, William Owen; G 2, Thomas J.; G 3, Mary J., and G 4, Eliza W. F 3. Lucretia Thomas, born in 1848, and died 1853. F 4. Jesse Pitman, born in 1850; married Anna L. Moorman, and had issue, viz.: G 1, Lula E., etc. F 5. David B., born in 1853; died 1854. F 6. Jane Moorman, married Orville C. Callaway, and had issue, viz.: G 1, Henry Lewis; G 2, Guerdon; G 3, Raymond, etc. F 7. Lizzie T., born in 1857; married Charles F. Heyser. F 8. Owen, born in 1860, and died 1861. F 9. James T., born in 1865; married Katie Fisher. F 10. Mattie W., married Arthur J. Williams, and had issue, viz.: 0 1, Ethel. F 11. Edgar C. E 11. Thomas J., son of David J. Lewis, died in Breckinridge county, Kentucky, in 1889, when the following obituary notice appeared in a paper published in that county: OBITUARY. Died at his residence at Long Lick, this county, Hon. Thomas J. Lewis, in the sixty-fifth year of his age, of consumption. Mr. Lewis was a native of Breckinridge county, and was known by this people from his childhood up. Very early in life he became a member of the Baptist church, firmly adhering to its doctrines and principles until the close of his earthly probation. Mr. Lewis was united in marriage to Miss Eliza W. Owen, sister of Jesse W. Owen, of this county, and Hon. W. T. Owen, of Owensboro. The wife of his youth still survives him. He was the father of eight children, seven of whom still live. He was very dignified and gentlemanly in his bearing—loathing everything little or mean. When you stood in his presence you were impressed with the idea that you stood in the presence of a gentleman of the first water. He was a prudent and thoughtful man, wise and safe in his counsels. His fellow-citizens honored him with their suffrage by electing him to represent his native county in the Legislature, where he acquitted himself with credit and honor to his country. For several years he had been in declining health, and about a year ago he went to Southern California, hoping that the climate might be beneficial; but all in vain. After remaining there for several months he returned to the bosom of his family to die. His family have the hearty sympathy of all. T. J. LEWIS. Bro. T. J. Lewis was born in Breckinridge county, Kentucky, April 21, 1824, and died of pulmonary consumption July 16, 1889. He was baptized, upon a profession of faith in Christ, by Elder S. Buchannan, for the Goshen Baptist church, in early manhood. He was married, when less than twentyone years of age, to Miss Eliza W. Owen. Bro. Lewis' religious life was not one long ovation, but rather one long and hard-fought battle. I was his pastor for years, and knew more of his inner life than anyone else except his wife. To me he confided his sharp struggles with sin as to no other but her. He was never satisfied with his own attainments in the divine life. To use his own words as he was nearing the cold waters of - death and reviewing his life, he "finally became disgusted with himself, and thought he had no religion." In the fall of 1888 it was thought a trip to California might improve his health. During his stay there he spent much of his time in the study of the Bible and in prayer, and he afterward said that he enjoyed more religion while thus engaged than he had done in his life before. Thus the "little hope" he had tried to throw away was fanned into a flame, and he could look away from himself with all his Imperfections to Christ and his perfect righteousness and feel secure in Him. It was touching to hear him in the last months of his sufferings talk of his children—all converted; but he said he deserved none of the credit that they were Christians ; that his wife deserved it all under God. Thus, the song of his heart was a constant depreciation of himself and an exaltation of others, until it took the sweet refrain: "None of self and all of Christ." The great anxiety of his soul for his family, and especially his boys, was, that they might live nearer to Jesus than he had done, and fill their covenant-engagements as church members as they ought. A devoted wife and loving children mourn his death; but they "mourn not as those who have no hope," for they look with confidence to see him come with Jesus in the last day. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ sustain them in this hour of their grief, is the humble prayer of

view all

Maj David Jackson Lewis's Timeline

December 14, 1774
Albemarle County, Virginia, United States
Albemarle County, Virginia, United States
January 2, 1808
Virginia, United States
August 30, 1822
Breckinridge, KY, USA
August 27, 1824
Age 51
Breckinridge County, Kentucky, United States