Margaret Corey (Deven)
|Also Known As:||"Devon"|
|Death:||Died in Salem Village, Essex, Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Mark Charles Woodward|
About Margaret Corey
NOTE: Margaret Deven Corey was dead thirty years before the Salem Witch Trials. Do not confuse with the third wife of Giles Corey, Martha Penover Corey, who was convicted of witchcraft.
Margaret Deven (circa 1610 - before 1664), the first wife of Giles Corey (circa 1611 - 1692), was born circa 1610 in England. She died before April 1664, when Corey married his second wife, Mary Bright. Following the death of Mary, Corey married Martha Penover, who was convicted of witchcraft and executed by hanging during the 1692 Salem witch trials.
Children of Giles and Margaret Corey
- Martha Corey (born circa 1650 Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts)
- Mary Corey (born circa 1653 Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts)
- Margaret Corey (born circa 1655 Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts)
- Deliverance Corey (born 5 August 1658 Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts)
- Elizabeth Corey (born circa 1660 Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts)
- David C. Brown, "The Case of Giles Cory," Essex Institute Historical Collections. Vol. 121, No. 1985: 282-299.
- Robert Ellis Cahill, "Haunted Happenings".
- Frances Hill, "A Delusion of Satan: The Full Story of the Salem Witch Trials".
- Heather Snyder, "Giles Corey". Salem Witch Trials in History and Literature, An Undergraduate Course, University of Virginia, Spring Semester 2001.
- Cory Family Society
- "Cory Family Newsletter", Volume 7, number 3, Sep 1992
- "Mayflower Families", Volume III, page 134, mentions that Martha Penoyer married Henry Rich at Stanford in December 1680 and later married Giles Cory of Salem.
- "Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire". Incorrectly lists Martha Corey's date of execution as March 1692.
- The History of Salem, Vol. II, page 193 footnote:
Giles Corey was born about 1619; married, first Margaret ______; second, Mary Brite April 11, 1673 [this is in error, the correct year 1664]; third, >>Martha ______; pressed to death Sept. 19, 1692; wife Martha was hung as a witch Sept. 22, 1692; Children: 1. Deliverance, born in Salem Aug. 5, 1658; married Henry Crosby June 5, 1683; 2. Margaret; married William Cleaves [spelled Clements in the Vital Statics of both Marblehead and Beverly] of Beverly; 3. Elizabeth; married John Moulton of Salem.
Margaret Corey's Timeline
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts, USA
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts
August 5, 1658
Salem, Essex, MA
Salem Village, Essex, Massachusetts