Reverend William Carstairs
|Birthplace:||Cathcart, near Glasgow|
Son of Reverend John Carstairs, Minister of St.Mungo, Min. of St Mungo, Glasgow and Janet Mure
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Reverend William Carstairs
About Reverend William Carstairs
Information source: http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I29115&tree=Fasti
Minister of St. Giles, 2nd Charge.
- KINSHIP: Eldest son.
- EDUCATION: Edinburgh; Utrecht.
- OCCUPATION: Principal of Edinburgh University, 1703.
- CHURCH: Returned to Holland after receiving license to preach; returned to Holland, 1684-1685.
- CHURCH: Minister of Greyfriars, 1704.
- CHURCH: Translated to that charge, 1706
- CHURCH: Minister of St. Giles, and the High Kirk, Second Charge, 1707.
- CHURCH: Made chaplain to the Prince of Orange.
- CHURCH: Expelled from office, 1689.
- CHURCH: Chaplain to Queen Anne, and King George I.
- CHURCH: Moderator of Assembly, 1705.
- CHURCH: Moderator of Assembly, re-elected 1708, 1711, 1715.
- PUNISHMENT: Became involved in the Ryehouse Plot and was arrested at Tenterden, Kent; in prison for a year and a half, London, Edinburgh, and Stirling.
Another potted biography here: http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nation/carstairs.htm.
And another here: http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/carstairs_william.htm
Fasti biography: Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the reformation, Vol. I, page 66