Matching family tree profiles for Robert Smythe, of Bidborough
About Robert Smythe, of Bidborough
Robert Smythe, of Bounds, co. Kent, and son of Sir John Smythe by Lady Isabella Rich, married Lady Dorothy Sidney, eldest daughter of Robert Sidney, 2nd Earl of Leicester. Their son Robert
b. c.1599, 1st. s. of Sir Thomas Smythe* of London and Bidborough, Kent and his 3rd w. Sarah, da. of William Blount of London. educ. travelled abroad 1615-18. m. 19 Nov. 1618, Isabel, da. of Robert Rich†, 1st earl of Warwick, 3s. 1da.1 kntd. 22 Sept. 1618;2 suc. fa. 1625. d. 16 Oct. 1640.
. A nuncupative will was drawn up on his deathbed at Siena on 16 Oct. 1640, in the presence of Lord St. John (Oliver St. John II*), chiefly to secure his servants. His estate had already been conveyed to Henry Clerke and Sir David Watkins in trust for his children, Isabel, Robert, Charles and Henry.17 Just 13 at the time of Smythe’s death, the eldest son, Robert, was not granted administration of the estate until 1643.18 The second son, Charles, sat for Lostwithiel in the Cavalier Parliament and for Penryn in 1680-1, probably as an opponent of Exclusion.
Sir Thomas Smythe, the 3d, was ambassador to Russia in 1604 and d- 1625; he m. Sarah, da. and h. of William Blount, esq., (who m., secondly, Robert Sydney, 1st earl of Leicester,) by whom he had 2 sons,
- sir John, the eldest, m, Isabella Rich, youngest da. of Robert, earl of Warwick, and left issue,
- Robert Smythe, of Bounds, eo. Kent, who m. Dorothy Sydney, eldest da. of Robert, 2nd earl of Leicester.
This branch terminated in sir Sydney-Stafford Smythe, lord chief baron of the exchequer, who d. 1777.
- thepeerage.com Robert Smythe married Lady Dorothy Sydney, daughter of Robert Sydney, 2nd Earl of Leicester and Lady Dorothy Percy, on 8 July 1652.1 He lived at Bidborough, Kent, England.3
- [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/1, page 484. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- [S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- [S37] BP2003 volume 1, page 1078. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- The Correspondence (c.1626-1659) of Dorothy Percy Sidney, Countess of Leicester. By Dorothy Sidney Countess of Leicester. Page 20.
- The Correspondence (c.1626-1659) of Dorothy Percy Sidney, Countess of Leicester by Dorothy Sidney Countess of Leicester. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd., 2010 - Literary Criticism - 227 pages. Page xvi. Married 2) Robert Smythe (1613-64/7)