John Constable, Knight
|Birthplace:||Halsham, Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Halsham, Yorkshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Halsham, Yorkshire, England|
|Managed by:||Patricia Norton Chong|
About Sir John Constable, of Burton Constable
John Constable, Knight, of Burton Constable
- Birth: abt 1388 / or 1400 in Halsham, Patrington, East Ride Yorkshire, England
- Parents: William (of Halsham) Constable, Elizabeth Metham
- Married: Margaret de Umfreville
- Death: aft 23 NOV 1449 in Burton Constable, Leyburn, North Ride Yorkshire, England
- BEF 26 APR 1423, to Margaret de Umfreville, daughter of Sir Thomas "The Younger" (of Harbottle), 2nd Baron de Umfreville, & Agnes de Grey. Her 2nd husband; she was 1st married to William Loddington.
- Sir John (of Halsham) b: 1422 / ABT 1431 in Halsham, Patrington, East Riding Yorkshire, England. Married Lora fitzHugh
- Agnes b: ABT 1424 in Burton Constable, Leyburn, North Ride Yorkshire, England. Married 1) Thomas St. Quintin 2) William Skipwith
- Elizabeth was born 1426 in Halsham, East Riding, Yorkshire, England.
- Maud was born 1428 in Halsham, East Riding, Yorkshire, England.
- 1Cokayne, George Edward, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant (London: St. Catherine Press, 1910.), 1:153, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.721 C682.
- 2Hunt, John G., "Further Ancestry of Ellen Newton Who Married Edward Carleton...," NEHGR 111:3 (Jul 1957) (New England Historic, Genealogical Society.), p. 198, Los Angeles Public Library.
- 3Weis, Frederick Lewis, Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700 (7th ed., Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992.), 121D-34, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 974 W426 1992.
- 4Weis, Frederick Lewis, The Magna Charta Sureties, 1215 (5th ed., Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999.), pp. 109-8, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.273 W426 1999.
- 5Richardson, Douglas, Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 2004.), p. 486, Family History Library, 942 D5rd.
- 6Wedgwood, Josiah Clement, The History of Parliament: The House of Commons, 1439-1509 (London: H.M.S.O., 1936.), 1:211-12, Family History Library, 942 D3hp 1439-1509.
- 7Flower, William, The Visitations of Yorkshire in the Years 1563 and 1564 (London: Harleian Society, 1881.), p. 68, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 942.005 H284 v.16.
- 8Maddison, Arthur Roland, Lincolnshire Pedigrees v. 52 (London: Publications of the Harleian Society, 1902-1906.), p. 895, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 942.005 H284 v. 52.
- 9Stephenson, Mill, "Monumental Brasses in the East Riding," The Yorkshire Archaelogical Journal, vol. 12 (1893) (The Yorkshire Archaeological Society.), p. 216, Family History Library, 942.74 B4a.
- 10Clay, J. W. (Editor), Dugdale's Visitation of Yorkshire, With Additions (Exeter: William Pollard, 1899-1917.), 2:303, 3:186, Family History Library, 942.74 D23c.
- Sir John Constable, Sheriff of Yorkshire & Lincolnshire1,2,3,4,5
- M, #29632, b. circa 1395
- Father Sir William Constable2,5 d. b 1419
- Mother Elizabeth Metham2,5
- Sir John Constable, Sheriff of Yorkshire & Lincolnshire was born circa 1395 at of Halsham & Burton Constable in Holderness, Yorkshire, England. He married Margaret Umfreville, daughter of Sir Thomas Umfraville, 5th Lord Umfraville, Sheriff of Northumberland, Captain of Roxburgh Castle and Agnes Grey, before 26 April 1423; They had 1 son (Sir John) & 3 daughters (Agnes, wife of Mr. St. Quintin, & of Sir William Skipwith; Elizabeth, wife of William de St. Quintin; & Maud, wife of John Routh, Esq.).2,4,5 Sir John Constable, Sheriff of Yorkshire & Lincolnshire left a will on 23 November 1449; Requested burial at Halsham, Yorkshire.2,5 His estate was probated on 17 January 1451.2,5
- Family Margaret Umfreville b. c 1390, d. 23 Jun 1444
- Agnes Constable+6,2,3,4,5 b. c 1420, d. a 1445
- Sir John Constable, Sheriff of Lincolnshire+7,2,5 b. c 1426
- 1.[S9259] Unknown author, Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, 4th Ed., by F. L. Weis, p. 121; Pedigrees of Some of the Emperor Charlemagne's Descendants, Vol. I, p. 108; Wallop Family, p. 224.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 119.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 34.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 336-337.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 18-19.
- 6.[S11576] A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland, by John Burke, Esq. and John Bernard Burke, Esq., p. 487.
- 7.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 486.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p987.htm#i29632
- John CONSTABLE of Halsham (Sir Knight)
- Born: 1388 / 1401, Halsham, Yorkshire England
- Died: AFT 23 Nov 1449
- Father: William CONSTABLE of Halsham (Sir)
- Mother: Elizabeth METHAM
- Married: Margaret De UMFREVILLE
- 1. Elizabeth CONSTABLE
- 2. Maud CONSTABLE
- 3. John CONSTABLE of Halsham (Sir Knight)
- 4. Agnes CONSTABLE
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/CONSTABLE2.htm
- John Constable1
- M, #9308
- Last Edited=18 Jun 2008
- John Constable married Margaret de Umfreville, daughter of Sir Thomas de Umfreville and Agnes (?), before 26 April 1423.1
- He lived at Halsham, Holderness, Yorkshire, England.1
- Child of John Constable and Margaret de Umfreville
- 1.John Constable2
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 153. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 152.
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p931.htm#i9308
- Testamenta Eboracensia. Vol.30 A Selection of Wills from the Registry at York. Part II.
- * Thomas St. Quintin, Esq. the eldest son and heir of the testator, married Elizabeth, or Agnes, daughter of Sir John Constable of Halsham, Knight. Sir John Constable in his will mentions his daughter Elizabeth St. Quintin ; but, on the 24th of July, 1445, the administration to the effects of Thomas St. Quintin, Esq. is granted to Agnes his widow, Sir John Constable being a bondsman. He died without issue, and his estates passed to his second brother William. His widow remarried Sir William Skipwith.
- * Sir John Constable, of Halsham, in Holderness, the head of one of the most powerful branches of the great house of Constable, married Margaret, daughter and co-heir of Sir Thomas Umfreville. He had by her a son, Sir John, and three daughters ; Agnes, who married St. Quintin, and afterwards Sir William Skipwith, Elizabeth the wife of Sir William St. Quintin, and Maud, who became the wife of John Routh, Esq. The will of Sir John Constable of Halsham, the father of the testator, occurs in the Testamenta Ebor. Part I. The present representative of this ancient house is Sir Clifford Constable, of Burton Constable, who, in addition to the immense estates and influence of his family, inherits some of the most gentle blood in Yorkshire.
- (a) Sir John Constable
- m. Maud Hilton (dau. of Robert Hilton of Hilton)
- ((1)) Sir William Constable (a temp Henry IV who r. 1399-1413)
- m. Elizabeth Metham (dau of Sir John Metham)
- ((A)) Sir John Constable (a 1449)
- m. Margaret Umfravile (b c1397, d 1444, dau. of Sir Thomas Umfraville)
- ((i)) Sir John Constable of Halsham (a 1459)
- m. Lora FitHugh (dau of William FitzHugh, 5th Lord)
- ((a)) ....etc.
- From: Stirnet.com
Sir John Constable was Christened at Constable, Burton, Yorkshire, England, UK.
"Ancestral File", database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/M44D-BSM : accessed 2013-08-29), entry for John CONSTABLE ;[KNIGHT].
Sir John Constable, of Burton Constable's Timeline
Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Constable-Burton, York, England, Great Britain
Halsham, Yorkshire, England
Leyburn, North Riding, Yorkshire , England
Of, Halsham, Yorkshire, England
January 17, 1451
Halsham, Yorkshire, England
Of Constable, Burton, Yorkshire, England
Constable, Burton, Yorkshire, England