|Also Known As:||"Nairne of Dunsinnan", "Lord Dunsinnan"|
|Death:||Died in Perthshire, Scotland|
|Managed by:||Alisdair James Smyth|
About Sir William Nairne, 5th Baronet of Dunsinane
"Sir William Nairne, Baronet [S. 1704], of Dunsinane, uncle and h., being 2d s. of the 2d Baronet; was 1811. admitted Advocate, 11 March 1755; Joint Commissary Clerk of Edinburgh (with his uncle, Alexander Nairne), 1758 ; Sheriff Depute of Perthshire, 1782 ; Senator of the College of Justice under the name of Lord Dunsinane, 25 Feb. 1786 to 1807 ; and a Lord of Justiciary, 1792 to 1808. He, having long previously purchased the estate of Dunsinane, as above stated, sue. to the Baronetcy, 12 Jan. 1790. He executed an entail of his estates, 9 Aug. 1808,( b ) and d. unm. 25 March 1811, at Dunsinane house, when the Baronetcy became dormant."
SOURCE: Complete baronetage; Cokayne, George E. (George Edward); 1904; Vol. II; page 426
Nairne of Dunsinnan, Lord Dunsinnan, William, Bart. ?-20/03/1811. Ref: 1014. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Hon 5th Baronet of Dunsinnan(1790).
- Place of Birth: Perthshire.
- Place of Death: Dunsinnan House, Perthshire.
- Profession: Advocate, Agricultural Improver.
- Appointments Held: Advocate 1755; 1755-86 Private Legal Practice, Edinburgh; Joint Commissary Clerk 1758 Edinburgh; Sheriff 1782, Perthshire; 1786-1809 Senator of College of Justice; 1792-1809 Lord of Justiciary.
- Publications: "On obstacles to improvement of the Highlands" Transactions of The Highland & Agricultural Society series I, vol 2, 227.
- Marital Status: Unmarried.
- Mother: Emelia Graham.
- Father: Sir William Nairne, 2nd Baronet of Dunsinnan.
- References: DNB 40, 1894, 27-8; F.J. Grant 1944; Anderson 3.236-7; Shapin 355; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981, 68.
- Memberships: Highland Society(Director 1785).
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Service to the RSE: Vice-President 1789-96.
- Notes: Born 1731.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 687