Stephen Brown, Snr. SV/PROG
|Birthplace:||Harefield, Middlesex, England|
|Death:||Died in Cape, South Africa|
|Place of Burial:||St Johns, Bathurst|
Son of John Wenman and Susannah Brown
|Managed by:||Marisa Wijtenburg|
Matching family tree profiles for Stephen Brown, Snr. SV/PROG
About Stephen Brown, Snr. SV/PROG
1820 British Settler
Stephen Brown 48, Agriculturist, together with his wife Sarah Ann Hillman 36, and young son, were members of Cock's Party of 91 Settlers on the Weymouth.
Party originated from Oxfordshire.
Departed London, 7 January 1820. Arrived Table Bay, Cape Town on 16 April 1820. Final Port - Algoa Bay, Port Elizabeth 15 May 1820.
Area Allocated to the Party : Green Fountain on the Rufane River
- William Brown 4
Stephen, natural son of John WENMAN and Susannah BROWN was baptised 10 February 1771 in St.Mary the Virgin, Harefield, Middlesex.
His mother, Susannah SHEWARD, was baptised 9 February 1733/4 in St.Mary the Virgin, Harefield, daughter of Thomas SHEWARD and Elizabeth LEWIS, and married Joseph BROWN in Harefield on 29 May 1750. Joseph and Susannah had the following children, half siblings of Stephen BROWN, all baptised in Harefield:
- William baptised 5 February 1750/1
- Susanna baptised 15 May 1752
- Elizabeth baptised 3 August 1755
- Sarah baptised 12 November 1758
- Joseph baptised 13 April 1761
- Mary baptised 6 November 1763
- Charlotte baptised 26 January 1766
- Maria baptised 22 May 1768
- Joseph BROWN was baptised 16 February 1724/5 in St.Mary the Virgin, Harefield, son of Joseph and Elizabeth BROWN, and his sister Ann BROWN was baptised on 31 December 1722.
- Ann BROWN married John WENMAN in St.Mary the Virgin, Harefield on 21 December 1758.
Both signed their names.
Witnesses: Thomas BECK (X) and Henry BROWN.
Ann WENMAN, nee BROWN was buried in St.Mary's, Harefield on 11 December 1775, four years after Stephen BROWN's illegitimate birth. John WENMAN was Stephen's father and his brother-in-law's widow, Susannah BROWN, nee SHEWARD, was Stephen's mother.
Stephen BROWN married Mary BUTLER on 22 April 1794 in St.Mary's, Hanwell, Middlesex. Both signed their names. Witnesses: Thomas and Mary SIMMONDS.
Stephen and Mary had the following children:
- Stephen, baptised 15 June 1796, St.Mary's, Lambeth (did not go to the Cape)
- Benjamin, baptised 23 March 1800, St.Mary's, Lambeth (went to the Cape in 1826)
- Lydia, baptised 27 November 1803, St.Luke's, Chelsea, born 23 Oct (did not go to the Cape)
Stephen BROWN married Sarah HILLMAN on 4 March 1807 in St.Martin in the Fields, Westminster (IGI extracted entry). They had the following children born in the UK:
- Henry Wittell baptised 17 April 1808 St.Mary, Battersea (extracted IGI) (died 1812)
- Nathaniel baptised 26 August 1810 St.Luke's, Chelsea (went to the Cape in 1826)
- Mary Ann born 1812 baptised 2 August 1818 St.Luke's, Chelsea (went to the Cape in 1826)
- William born 1816 baptised 2 August 1818 St.Luke's, Chelsea (went to the Cape in 1820)
- George born 1817 baptised 2 August 1818 St.Luke's, Chelsea (buried 20 October 1819)
Stephen Brown, Snr. SV/PROG's Timeline
January 30, 1771
Harefield, Middlesex, England
February 10, 1771
February 3, 1800
Andersons Walk, Lambeth, England
August 20, 1803
Paradise Row, Chelsea, London
March 1, 1808
August 17, 1809
London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
September 14, 1812
Peterborough, Northamptonshire, England