About Theobald Butler, 3rd Chief Butler of Ireland
'Theobald Butler, 3rd Chief Butler of Ireland (c.1224-1248) was 6 years old when his father, Theobald died. His mother was Joan de Marisco, daughter of the Justiciar of Ireland, Geoffrey de Marisco.
'Like his infamous father-in-law Theobald was created Justiciar of Ireland in 1247. He supported King Henry III in his wars with his barons. He was buried by his father at Arklow.
'He married Margery de Burgh, daughter of Richard Mór de Burgh, 1st Lord of Connacht. With his wife he had, besides other lands, the manors of Ardmaile and Killmorarkill. Their son was
- Theobald Butler, 4th Chief Butler of Ireland (died 1285)
- Ormond, Duke of, Life 1610-'88: Thomas A. Carte, M.A. 6 vols. Oxford, 1851
- 'Theobald le Boteler1,2
- 'M, #11129, d. 1248
- Father Theobald le Botiller (Butler) b. 1200, d. 19 Jul 1230
- Mother Joan de Marais d. b 4 Sep 1225
- ' Theobald le Boteler was buried at Arklow Abbey, Wicklow, Ireland. He married Margery de Burgh, daughter of Richard de Burgh, Lord Connaught, Justiciar of Ireland and Hodierna de Gernon, before 1242.2 Theobald le Boteler died in 1248.
- 'Family Margery de Burgh d. a 1 Mar 1253
- Theobald le Boteler (Butler)+2 b. c 1242, d. 26 Sep 1285
- 1.[S2918] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. II, p. 449; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 1909; Wallop Family, p. 163.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 376.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p371.htm#i11129
- 'Theobald Butler1
- 'M, #195854, b. after 1223, d. 1248
- Last Edited=14 May 2012
- ' Theobald Butler was born after 1223.1 He was the son of Theobald le Botiller and Joan du Marais.1 He married Margery de Burgh, daughter of Richard de Burgh, before 1242.2 He died in 1248.1 He was buried before 3 August 1248 at Arklow, County Limerick, Ireland.2 An inquest post mortem was held for his on 6 July 1249.2
- 'Child of Theobald Butler and Margery de Burgh
- 1.Theobald Butler+2 b. c 1242, d. 26 Sep 1285
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 448. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 449.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p19586.htm#i195854
- 'Theobald BUTLER
- 'Born: ABT 1223
- 'Died: 1248
- Father: Theobald Le BOTILLER (Chief Butler of Ireland)
- Mother: Joan Du MARAIS
- 'Married: Margery De BURGH ABT 1242
- 1. Theobald BUTLER
- 2. Elizabeth BUTLER
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BUTLER.htm#Theobald BUTLER1
Butler, 3rd Theobald, was very young when his father died. He married a daughter of Richard De Burgh, and thereby considerably increased the family estates. In 1264, he was, with Richard de Capella, Lord-Justice, and other knights, taken prisoner at Castledermot by the Lord of Desmond. He died, and was buried in the Convent of Friars Preachers at Arklow.
Theobald Butler, 3rd Chief Butler of Ireland's Timeline
Arklow, Wicklow, Wicklow, Ireland
Arklow Castle, Wicklow, Ireland
December 26, 1248
Arklow Castle, Ireland