|Also Known As:||"The Emmigrant"|
|Birthplace:||Middle Plantation, James City County, Virginia Colony|
|Death:||Died in Williamsburg, York County, Province of Virginia|
|Place of Burial:||Williamsburg, Virginia, United States|
Son of Col. Thomas Ballard, Speaker, House of Burgesses and Anne Sarah Ballard
|Occupation:||High Sheriff, Justice of the County Court|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Ballard
About Thomas Ballard
son of Col. Thomas Ballard, of the council of state, was one of the justices of York county and colonel of the militia. He was burgess for the county in 1693, 1697, 1698, 1699, 1700-1702, 1703-1705 and 1710-1712. He married Catherine, daughter of John Hubard. His will was proved in York county, June 18, 1711. He left issue, and among them was Capt. John Ballard, of York county, who died in 1745.
Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Volume I - IV--Burgesses and Other Prominent Persons, page 182
Birth: 1654 York County Virginia, USA Death: Jun. 11, 1711 York County Virginia, USA
"The Reverend Mr Blair, who had been serving as Rector of Henrico Parish (then along the western frontier), was very aware of the fate of Henricus and the first attempt at a college there, both of which had been annihilated in the Indian Massacre of 1622. The peaceful situation with the Native Americans and the high ground and central location in the developed portion of the colony at Middle Plantation must have appealed to him, for he is credited with selecting a site for the new college on the outskirt of the tiny community.
Blair and the trustees of the College of William and Mary bought a parcel of 330 acres (1.3 km2) from Thomas Ballard for the new school. The new school opened in temporary buildings in 1694. Properly called the "College Building", the first version of the Wren Building was built at Middle Plantation beginning on August 8, 1695 and occupied by 1700". (Today, the Wren Building is the oldest academic structure in continuous use in America).
"Ballard's oldest son and heir, Thomas Ballard, Jr, sold the Middle Plantation estate shortly after his father's death. Most of it went to form the campus of the College of William and Mary.
Colonel Thomas Ballard, Jr, was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses from York County, Virginia. Ballard was a son of Colonel Thomas Ballard, of the council of state born around 1654 at Middle Plantation, Virginia. He served as one of the justices of York Co. and was Colonel of the Militia. He was burgess for York Co. in 1693, 1697, 1698, 1699, 1700-1702, 1703-1705 and 1710-1712.
He married Catherine Hubbard, a daughter of John Hubbard. His will was proved in York County, June 18, 1711. He left issue, and among them was Capt. John Ballard, of York county, who died in 1745".
Parents: Thomas Ballard (1630 - 1689) Anne Thomas Ballard (1635 - 1678) Spouse: Katherine Hubbard Ballard (1665 - 1706) Children: William Ballard (1684 - 1754)* Elizabeth Ballard Smith (1689 - ____)* Anna Ballard Major (1689 - ____)* John Ballard (1693 - 1744)*
- Calculated relationship
Created by: Sue Macduff:) Record added: Oct 26, 2010 Find A Grave Memorial# 60664554
He was Justice of the Peace, Cpt of Militia of York Co. Va. and sheriff of that Co. Reared at Middle Plantation (later Williamsburg) and returned to York Co. in 1684. Inherited land from his godfather, Major Robt. Baldry who came to America at age 18 aboard ship Globe which sailed from Gravesend on 8-7-1635. Baldry prospered, but had no children.
Col. Ballard was a member of the Court Martial of Bacon's men after the rebellion collapsed. He was dismissed from the Council for loyalty to Gov. Berkeley, after Berkeley was recalled. Bacon the rebel bought landfrom Col. Ballard on the south side of the James River now known as Bacon's Castle. Bacon never fully paid Ballard for this land.
Thomas Ballard's Timeline
Middle Plantation, James City County, Virginia Colony
September 26, 1682
Blandfield, Essex, Virginia
James City, York, VA., USA
Gloucester, Virginia, USA
York Co., VA
Gloucester, Virginia, USA
June 15, 1693
York, Virginia, USA