|Birthplace:||Barton Blount, Derbyshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Barton Blount, Derbyshire, England|
Son of John Blount, 3rd Baron Mountjoy and Lora Berkeley, Countess of Ormonde
|Managed by:||Stanley Welsh Duke, Jr.|
Matching family tree profiles for William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy
About William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy
- Sir William Blount, 4th Lord Mountjoy1,2,3
- M, b. circa 1478, d. 8 November 1534
- Father Sir John Blount, 3rd Lord Mountjoy b. c 1450, d. 12 Oct 1485
- Mother Lora Berkeley b. b 1466, d. b 31 Oct 1501
- Sir William Blount, 4th Lord Mountjoy was born circa 1478 at of Barton Blount, Derbyshire, England.4 He married Elizabeth Say, daughter of Sir William Say, Sheriff of Somerset & Dorset and Elizabeth Fray, circa 26 March 1497.4 Sir William Blount, 4th Lord Mountjoy married Alice Kebble, daughter of Henry Kebble, before 15 February 1515 at London, Middlesex, England.5 Sir William Blount, 4th Lord Mountjoy married Dorothy Grey, daughter of Sir Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset, Lord Ferrers, Constable of the Tower of London & Ruthland Castle and Cecily Bonville, before 29 July 1523; His 4th wife, her 2nd husband. They had 1 son, John, & 2 daughters (Mary, wife of Robert Denny, Esq; & Dorothy, wife of John Blewett, Esq.).2,3 Sir William Blount, 4th Lord Mountjoy died on 8 November 1534 at Sutton-on-the-Hill, Derbyshire, England.2
- Family 1 Elizabeth Say b. c 1481, d. b 21 Jul 1506
- Gertrude Blount6 b. c 1502, d. 25 Sep 1558
- Katherine Blount+ b. c 1506, d. 25 Feb 1559
- Family 2 Alice Kebble b. c 1482, d. 8 Jun 1521
- Charles Blount, 5th Lord Mountjoy+ b. 28 Jun 1516, d. 14 Oct 1544
- Family 3 Dorothy Grey d. bt 30 Aug 1553 - 17 Nov 1553
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 740-741.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 336-337.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 306.
- 4.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. IX, p. 336-341.
- 5.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. IX, p. 340.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 550.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2699.htm#i81112
- Sir William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy KG (c. 1478–1534) was an English scholar and patron of learning.
- William Blount was born circa 1478 in Barton Blount, Derbyshire, the eldest son of John Blount, 3rd Baron Mountjoy (c.1450-1485) and Lora Berkeley. He married four times; firstly to Elizabeth Say, secondly to Alice Keble, daughter of Henry Keble, Lord Mayor of London, thirdly to Ines de Benegas and fourthly to Dorothy Grey, widow of Robert Willoughby, 2nd Baron Willoughby de Broke. By his first wife he had 2 children, including his eldest son Charles (1516–1544).
- He was a pupil of Erasmus, who called him inter nobiles doctissimus. His friends included Colet, More and Grocyn. He held a command in the force sent to suppress Perkin Warbeck's rebellion in 1497. In 1513 he was appointed governor of Tournai, and his letters to Wolsey and Henry VIII describing his vigorous government of the town are preserved in the British Library.
- He was present with Henry VIII at the Field of the Cloth of Gold in 1520, and at the meeting with Charles V in 1522. He had been master of the mint since 1509, and chamberlain to Catherine of Aragon since 1512. It fell to him in this office to announce to the queen Henry's intention to divorce her; he also signed the letter to the pope conveying the king's threat to repudiate the papal supremacy unless the divorce were granted. Mountjoy, who was one of the wealthiest English nobles of his time, died on 8 November 1534 and is buried at Barton Blount. His son Charles Blount, 5th Baron Mountjoy (1516–1544), was also a patron of learning.
- "Blount, William". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blount,_4th_Baron_Mountjoy
- William BLOUNT (4° B. Mountjoy)
- Born: ABT 1478, Barton Blount, Derbyshire, England
- Died: 8 Nov 1534, Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire, England
- Buried: Barton Blount, Derbyshire, England
- Notes: See his Biography.
- Father: John BLOUNT (3° B. Mountjoy)
- Mother: Lora BERKELEY (B. Mountjoy / C. Ormonde)
- Married 1: Elizabeth SAY (B. Mountjoy) 1497
- 1. Charles BLOUNT (5° B. Mountjoy)
- 2. Mary BLOUNT (C. Essex)
- Married 2: Alice KEBLE (B. Mountjoy) (b. 1482 - d. 8 Jun 1521, Grey Friars, London, England) (dau. of Henry Keble, Lord Mayor of London 1510-1511) (w. William Browne, Lord Mayor of London) BEF 15 Feb 1515
- 3. Catherine BLOUNT
- 4. Edward BLOUNT
- Married 3: Ines De BENEGAS (B. Mountjoy)
- 5. Gertrude BLOUNT (M. Exeter)
- Married 4: Dorothy GREY (B. Willoughby of Broke) BEF 29 Jul 1523
- 6. Mary BLOUNT
- 7. Dorothy BLOUNT
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Bios/WilliamBlount%284BMountjoy%29.htm
- William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy1
- M, #107603, d. 1535
- Last Edited=10 May 2008
- William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy died in 1535.
- He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Garter (K.G.).2 He gained the title of 4th Baron Mountjoy.1
- Child of William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy
- 1.Catherine Blount+2
- Child of William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy and Elizabeth Saye
- 1.Gertrude Blount+1 d. 25 Sep 1558
- 1.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 140. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Family.
- 2.[S35] Peter Townend, editor, Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, 18th edition, 3 volumes (London, England: Burke's Peerage Ltd, 1965-1972), volume 1, page 581. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Landed Gentry, 18th ed.
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p10761.htm
William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy's Timeline
Barton Blount, Derbyshire, England
Broxbourne Hertfordshire England
June 28, 1516
Tournai, Hainaut, Walloon Region, Belgium
Modbury, Devon, , England
Newport, Devon, England
Holcombe Burnel, Devon, England
November 8, 1534
Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire, England