William Erastus Upjohn
|Also Known As:||"The Upjohn Pharmaceutical Company"|
|Birthplace:||Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA|
Son of Uriah Upjohn and Maria Upjohn
|Occupation:||Founder of the Upjohn Company|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching William E. Upjohn
About William E. Upjohn
William Erastus Upjohn (June 15, 1853 – October 18, 1932) was a medical doctor, founder and president of The Upjohn Pharmaceutical Company. He was named Person of the Century by the Kalamazoo Michigan newspaper.
William Erastus Upjohn was one of twelve children born to Dr. Uriah Upjohn in Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA. An 1875 graduate of the University of Michigan medical school, he practiced medicine for 10 years in Hastings, Michigan.
In his home, Dr. Upjohn experimented with ways to improve the means of administering medicine. He invented the easily digested friable pill, for which he received a patent in 1885. In 1886, he founded The Upjohn Pharmaceutical Company in Kalamazoo to manufacture friable pills and served 40 years as company president.
He married Rachel Babcock, who gave him four children. She died after twenty-seven years of marriage. In 1913, he married his neighbor Carrie Sherwood Gilmore, widow of James F. Gilmore, one of the founders of the Gilmore Brothers department store.
The Brook Lodge Hotel & Conference Resort owes its origins to Dr. W.E. Upjohn, founder of the Upjohn Company. Dr. Will, as he was known, bought the 40-acre (160,000 m2) farm in 1895. One of the original buildings on the property was a creamery, which he soon converted to a summer cottage for himself and his family.
This peaceful country retreat eventually became his preferred location for private and business entertaining. In 1956, Twenty-four years after Dr. Upjohn's death, the Upjohn Company purchased Brook Lodge from the family estate and began its transformation into a full service conference center for the exclusive use of Upjohn employees. Today, it is owned by Michigan State University as a full service conference center. Its beautiful surroundings make it a perfect place to hold social events and meetings for guests and employees.
The history of how the buildings on the grounds evolved is just as interesting. During the time that the creamery was being converted to family living quarters, Dr. Upjohn erected a combination garage and guest house in the spot where the Conference Hall now stands. When the Conference Hall was built, the guest house now the Carriage House was moved to its present location. In 1910 Brookside Cottage was built by Dr. Upjohn for his gardener.
Though Dr. Upjohn found his Brook Lodge retreat an ideal location for doing business, he did not like the smell of cooking interfering with his work. So in 1927, he built the Dining Hall which he used for both private and business entertaining. The original carpet in the Dining Hall has since been replaced with a custom design incorporating Dr. Upjohn’s beloved peonies.
The original landscaping of Brook Lodge included a swimming pool, tennis court and walking paths. Dr. Upjohn also planted thousands of trees and flowers. Though iris were his first love, he turned his attention to peonies which flourished in the local soil. According to varying reports, Dr. Upjohn grew from 400 to 675 varieties of peonies, 40 acres (160,000 m2) of glorious red, white and pink blossoms.
Alongside the mill pond, also part of the original landscaping, is a lovely Japanese garden. In 1967, a Japanese guest who was particularly pleased with his stay at Brook Lodge, sent an authentic temple lantern as a token of his appreciation. With the help of a Japanese architect who insisted that every element "feel right" in order to "look right," the temple garden came to life.
Visitors to the Brook Lodge Hotel & Conference Resort may not notice or fully appreciate the vast tract of property that makes up Brook Lodge Conference Center 637 acres (2.58 km2), of which 40 are maintained for guests' enjoyment. Space not used by guests is leased to the adjacent Kellogg Forest, which is maintained by Michigan State University.
Brook Lodge Hotel and Conference Resort will be closing forver as of DECEMBER 30TH 2009
Dr. Upjohn helped establish the commissioner-manager form of government in Kalamazoo. He provided the seed for the Kalamazoo Community Foundation, established the W. E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, and contributed to the Kalamazoo Civic Auditorium. Known as a lover of flowers, he established gardens at Brook Lodge, his summer home near Augusta.