|Also Known As:||"John Mott of Saffron Walden & Portsmouth"|
|Birthplace:||Saffron Walden, Essex, England|
|Death:||Died in Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations|
Son of John Mott, of Saffron Walden and Elizabeth Mott
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for "oulde" John Mott
About "oulde" John Mott
- Birth: ABT 1570 in Essex, England; of Saffron Walden
- Death: JUL 1656 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, USA
- parents: John Mott (b abt 1550) & Elizabeth
- son: Adam Mott: of
John's son Adam3 Mott, Sr. (John2, John1) was born Aug 12, 1596 in Cambridge, England, and died Aug 12, 1661 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI.
John Mott was born about 1570 in Saffron Walden, Essex Co., England and died 1656 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- on 20 Jan 1593 in Saffron Walden, England to Johanna Hollis
- Elizabeth ?...? b: ABT 1575 in Saffron Walden, Essex Co., England
- Adam Mott b: ABT 1596 in Saffron Walden, Essex Co., England
MOTT, Adam (p344, 1st col.) was the son of "oulde John Mott" who was admitted a freeman at Aquidneck in 1638. In 8 mo.: 1639 John Mott's land is mentiond. On 29 Aug. 1644, 25 Jan. 1648/9, 2 June 1650, 19 Jan 1651/2, 9 June 1652, 2 June 1653, 20 June 1653 and 17 June 1654, the town of Portsmouth, R. I. provided for his care (Records of the Town of Portsmouth). On 23 Jan 1654/5, the town agreed to pay the passage of "ould John Mott to Barbados Iland and back again if he cannot be received there, if he live to it, if the shipp owners will carried him." (ib., p. 66) On 3 July 1656 further provision was made for his keep and "the oulde mans son Adam" engaged to give a cow and a supply of corn towards it (ib. p. 72). The ould man was evidently held in high esteem, for the order of 9 June 1652 provided "that there shalbe a stone house built for the more comfortabl beinge of ould John Mott in the winter" (ib. p. 58).
- He was admitted as an inhabitant of Aquidneck Island in 1638, probably with his son Adam.3 We do not know when or on what ship he came to the colonies.
- He was called Oulde John Mott and received care from the town of Portsmouth (The writer of this report is suspects an error here as Portsmouth is mentioned later.) for several years from 29 Aug. 1644 to his death, probably about 1656.
- The following entries from Saffron Walden may pertain to Adam Mott's father [comment: or his grandfather] John Mott:
- * Buried 2 Jan. 1610/11, Elizabeth wife of John Mott;
- * Buried 4 May 1619, Catherine wife of John Mott;
- * Buried 2 Jan 1616/17, Ann daughter of John Mott; and
- * Baptized 29 Sept. 1625, Elizabeth daughter of John and Mary Mott.
"Adam Mott born 1596 son of John Mott, went to MA on the DEFENCE. He later moved to RI when his father joined him They both seemed to have died in 1661. This Adam is the progenitor of the "RI and CT Motts"
"His cousin, Adam Mott born 1621 son of JAMES MOTT (brother of John) went to NY on the BEVIS in 1639. He lived on Long Island and is the progenitor of the "NY Motts"
"The father of James and John was JOHN Mott of Saffron Walden. It is very common to mix these two families and to get the Adams confused."
"oulde" John Mott's Timeline
September 15, 1571
Saffron Walden, Essex, England
August 12, 1596
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, , England
September 29, 1625
Saffron Walden, Essex, England
July 3, 1656
Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
April 15, 1978
November 8, 1986