Royal Barlas Family in India
Nawab Qasim Jan was a courtier in the royal courts of Mughal Delhi . He first lived in Lahore, attached to the court of the Governor, Moin-ul-Mulk, in the 1750s, thereafter he moved to Delhi, and joined the court of Delhi, in reign of Mughal Emperor, Shah Alam II (r. 1728–1806).
Soon he was given the title of Nawab, and given the region of and thereafter he built his home close to Red Fort, in Ballimaran, Delhi, in the lane that is still known as Gali Kasim Jan, and also built mosque nearby known as Qasim Khani Mosque .
He had two brothers, Alam Jan, and Arif Jan whose son, Ahmad Baksh Khan, later founded the princely state of Loharu (now in Bhiwani district) in 1806 .
Noted Urdu poet, Mirza Ghalib was married to Umrao Begum, daughter of Nawab Ilahi Bakhsh Khan (younger brother of the first Nawab of Loharu, Ahmad Baksh Khan).
His son, Nawab Faizullah Beg, was a courtier in Bahadur Shah Zafar's reign, and built a complex later known as Ahata Kaley Sahab, so named a saint named Kaley Khan, who lived here for a while, after whom Delhi’s Sarai Kale Khan is named. The complex was later acquired by Bunyadi Begum, poet Mirza Ghalib's sister-in-law, and housed the poet after he was released from debtors' prison.
Though according to other sources he came from Yarkand (present day Xijiazhuang Province in China) in 1811 he was awarded the title KHAN and Hateen Province near Gurgaon by the then King of Delhi Shah Alamgir.
Descendants Qasim Jan lineage
- Nawab of Loharu,
- Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed and Mirza Ghalib
- Son: Mirza Shakir Hussain Barlas (Barrister at Law)
- Wife: Bibi Mehmooda Begum (Daughter of Nawab Amjad Ali Shah of Sardhana, last Nawab of Sardhana) sister of Sirdar Ikbal Ali Shah
- Daughter: Halima Barlas
- Daughter: Nafisa Barlas
- Daughter: Aquila Barlas Later known as Doctor Aquila Kiani
- Daughter: Naema Barlas Later known as Doctor N.B. Matuk
- Son: Nawab Mirza Aqil Hussain Barlas
- Wife: Bibi Mehtabunnisa Begum (Daughter of the Grand Vazier of Alwar)
- Wife: Nusrat Barlas
- Son: Nawab Mirza Adil Hussain Barlas
- Wife: Rukhsana Barlas
- Daughter: Adila Barlas
- Daughter: Ayat Barlas
- Grandson:Nawab Mirza Danyaal Hussain Barlas