County Wexford - Main Page
Republic of Ireland
This is the Umbrella Project Page for County Wexford - Ireland
HELP is always welcome - Please get involved!!
Please do not link profiles to this project - its purpose is to inform!
Still to Come
- County Wexford - Famous People
- County Wexford Genealogical Resources
- Historical County Wexford
- Irish: Contae Loch Garman
- Administrative centre Wexford
- Province Leinster
- Area 2,353.2 km2 (908.6 sq mi)
- People from County Wexford are called -
- Motto Exemplar Hiberniae (Latin), "An example to Ireland" "Sampla na hÉireann"
County Wexford (the English name comes from Norse Veisafjörður) is a county in Ireland. It is part of the South-East Region and is also located in the province of Leinster. It is named after the town of Wexford. In pre-Norman times it was part of the Kingdom of Uí Cheinnselaig, whose capital was at Ferns. Wexford County Council is the local authority for the county.
Places of Interest
- The scenic Bannow Drive, popular amongst tourists, is a signposted route through four Wexford villages: Duncormick, Cullenstown, Bannow and Wellingtonbridge.
- Ballyteigue Burrow, located near Duncormick, is one the finest protected sand dune systems in Ireland. Rich in wildflowers, wildlife and butterflies, this 9 km coastal stretch is a protected nature reserve by the golden sands of Ballyteigue Bay, with spectacular scenery.
- The Hook Peninsula is noted for its many beaches and spectacular scenery. It features the medieval Hook Head lighthouse and the historic townland of Loftus Hall.
- Popular beaches are located at Courtown, Curracloe, and Duncannon.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator, or collaborating with a project collaborator - so join the project. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please do not add the profiles off all your County Wexford born ancestors to this project or the People connected to County Wexford project. Rather add the earliest known person of a County Wexford family to the County Wexford - Family Heads project. link to follow
References and Sources
Map from Irish Ancestors where the map is interactive.
46 Inch (Gorey)
47 Inch (Shelmaliere)
135 St. Bridgets
135 St. Doologues
109 St. Helens
110 St. Iberius
111 St. James and Dunbrody
112 St. Johns (Bantry)
135 St. Johns, Wexford
135 St. Mar s, Wexford
114 St. Margare s (Shelmaliere)
113 St. Margarets (Forth)
116 St. Marys Enniscorthy
117 St. Marys Newtownbarry
115 St. Marys, New Ross
118 St. Michaels
135 St. Michaels of Feagh
119 St. Mullins
120 St. Nicholas
135 St. Patricks
135 St. Peters
135 St. Selskars