Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families from Halberstadt (Sachsen-Anhalt), Germany

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

  • Gisela Matzner (1912 - 2009)
    Gisela Gisella Giselle MATZNER, née BLITZER: b. 14 April 1912, Halberstadt - d. 19 Nov 2009, Brooklyn, NYInformation courtesy of various sources, including the following: FamilieLichtengraben 14Salomon...
  • Rafael Blitzer (1904 - 1945)
    Rafael Raphael BLITZER: b. 24 May 1904, Halberstadt - d. 1945, Warsaw Ghetto, HOLOCAUSTInformation courtesy of various sources, including the following: FamilieLichtengraben 14Salomon Blitzer und seine...
  • Mojszesz "Max" Blitzer (1895 - 1945)
    Max Mojzesz BLITZER: b. 9 Dec 1895, Krakow - d. after 28 Oct 1938, Bedzin, HOLOCAUSTInformation courtesy of various sources, including the following: FamilieLichtengraben 14Salomon Blitzer und seine Fr...
  • Malka Malke Blitzer (1870 - 1944)
    Amalie "Malke" Reisel BLITZER, née RIMLER RIMMLER?: b. 25 July 1870, Krakow - d. 1944, Warschau Ghetto?, HOLOCAUSTInformation courtesy of various sources, including the following: FamilieLichtengraben ...
  • Esther Chaya Eger (1785 - 1836)
    1913--1996- The Eger Family Association- pg.41913--1990- The Eger Family Association- אילן ב According to the Hebrew book, Esther father was Joseph Zvi Hirsch, the son of Abraham

This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the town of Halberstadt (Sachsen-Anhalt), Germany.

JewishGen-Halberstadt (Sachsen-Anhalt)

In the 17th century, Halberstadt had one of the largest Jewish communities in central Europe. At the time, nearly one in twelve of the town's inhabitants, almost 700 people, were Jewish. Notable amongst them was Berend Lehmann (1661–1730). One example of Lehmann's work was the impressive Baroque synagogue he financed, which was completed in 1712. In November 1938, after the Kristallnacht pogroms, the Nazi authorities forced the Jewish community to demolish the building, as the attack on it was said to have left it in danger of collapsing. A short distance from the synagogue, Lehmann also had a house built for students of Judaism, with a collection of theological writings. This building, known as the "Klaus", was where many important students of the Talmud and rabbis were taught. The "Klaus" gave Halberstadt the reputation of being an important centre for the study of the Torah. Today the Moses Mendelssohn Academy is based there; this organises exhibitions, congresses and presentations and provides a wide range of information about the Jewish culture and way of life. Wikipedia 2017.

HALBERSTADT , city in Germany. The earliest document testifying to the presence of Jews in Halberstadt dates from 1261; as in the past. " It is probable did Jews were already settled in the city in 1189. A Jewish community ( Jewish village ) posse sing a synagogue which first Mentioned in 1364; it comprised 11 families in 1456, mainly occupied in moneylending. The Jews were expelled from Halberstadt in 1493; although some returned in the 16 thcentury, they were expelled in 1595. Shortly afterward, several Jews again settled in the city and built a synagogue, which was destroyed during the Thirty Years War. In 1650 th Jewish Families were granted privileges allowing them to engage in business and moneylending, but forbidding to build a synagogue. They were permitted to elect a rabbi in 1661. In 1689, Behrend * Lehmann , the powerful * Court Jew of Saxony and protector of the community, established a bet of midrash , the renowned clause (1707), and in 1712 permission was granted to build a new synagogue. (Eg, Halle and Magdeburg ) and the largest Jewish community in Prussia. Occupations of Jews in this period of time from simple handicraft to finance and industry. The community was world renowned as a center for Torah study and philanthropy in the 17 thand 18 th centuries. In 1795 a school for children of poor families, called Hazkarat Ẓevi, which was opened. It existed until shortly before the destruction of German Jewry. In the 1850s and 1860s some of Hebrew works were printed in Halberstadt. A beautiful maḥzor was issued by H. Meyer: JZ * Jolles ' Meloha-Ro'im edited by YF and printed by J. Hoerling's widow (1859); BH * Auerbach 's controversial Sefer ha-Eshkol appeared in 1867-79; and Elijah of Vilna's Adderet Eliyahu was published there. In the 19 th and early 20th century the deer family was a great achievement in the industrial sphere and for its philanthropic activities.

Halberstadt was the center of Orthodox Jewry in Germany and until 1930. Several famous rabbis served in Halberstadt, including Ẓevi deer * Bialeh , Hirschel * Levin , and members of the * Auerbach family. In 1933 there were 706 Jews in Halberstadt (1.4% of the total population). With the rise of Nazism, and its consequent economic and social pressure, many Jews began to leave. The community reacted to the persecution by developing a complex of cultural and educational institutions. In October 1938, some 100 Polish Jews were expelled. On Nov. 10, 1938 the synagogue was first set on fire. Ninety Torah scrolls were desecrated in the streets; the synagogue was subsequently demolished. Some 40 Jewish men were arrested and sent to Buchenwald. Stores were looted and homes were wrecked. The Jewish school was closed in 1941. Between 1939 and 1942, 186 persons were deported; none returned. The only Jews who remained were intermarried. Jewish Virtual Library from Jewish Encyclopedia.