Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families from Lukavice (Lukawitz) part of Strazov, Klatovy, Bohemia

Project Tags

Top Surnames

view all


Lukavice (Lukawitz) is a small town near Strazov, in Klatovy, the Plzen region, of Bohemia, now the Czech Republic. Jewish people have lived in this area for many years. The Klatovsky Inventory of the Jewish Population of 1793 defines several families from Lukavice. Some people are connected to the nearby town of Chudenice.

This is not the project for the town of Dolni Lukavice. There is a distinct project for that town.

The town of Strazov has its' own Jewish Families Town Project.

US Commission No. CZCE000126

Alternate name: Lukawetz in German. Lukavec is located in Bohemia, Pelhrimov at 49°34' N, 15°00' E , 28 km N of Tabor, 43 miles SE of Praha (Prague). Cemetery: 150 meters N of the town square. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

Town: Engineer Pavel Kubec (magistrate), 394 26 Lukavec u Pacova; tel. Home: 0365-95232 AND Obecni urad, 394 26 Lukavec u Pacova; tel. 0365-95132.
Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 393 01 Pelhrimov.
Interested: Okresni Muzeum, Mirove namesti 12, 393 01 Pelhrimov.
Earliest known Jewish community was beginning of 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 18. The Jews moved to big towns in the second half of the 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1724 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1935. The isolated suburban agricultural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing a private courtyard, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 1611 sq. m.

100-500 stones, most in original locations, date from (legible) 1725-20th century. The granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. The local Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are gardens. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access, pollution and vegetation. Slight threats: weather erosion and vandalism.

Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 35-57-69 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on March 15, 1992. Documentation: Census 1724; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Prague about 1960. The site was not visited. Frantisek Zeman, local historian (1988), and local inhabitants (1992) were interviewed.