A project to unify efforts on a Marblehead-centric view of genealogy. Who were the initial settlers? Where do all of the street-names come from? etc.
Some useful/inspiring links...
Marblehead Magazine - History Timeline [http://www.legendinc.com/Pages/MarbleheadNet/MM/Articles/Timeline.html] [http://marbleheadmuseum.org/Marblehead_in_the_1600s.pdf]
- 1615 In a war with the Tarrantines, the Naumkeags and their Chief, Nanepashemet, are defeated.
- 1619 Nanepashemet is killed at Mystic and his widow, Squaw Sachem of Saugus, succeeds him.
- 1620 December 21st: First settlers land at Plymouth Rock, actually at Clark's Island across the harbor.
- 1775 February 26 - members of the Marblehead militia confronted 240 British troops under the command of Colonel Alexander Leslie after a standoff at the North Bridge in Salem, Massachusetts. Leslie landed his troops in Marblehead, under orders of General Thomas Gage to proceed to Salem and confiscate artillery that was hidden there. Word quickly spread through Marblehead and Salem, and the Salem militia was waiting at the bridge when Leslie arrived. After a tense standoff, Leslie ended up retreating back to Marblehead where he was met by the Marblehead militia, which had fallen in to reinforce the troops in Salem. The Marbleheaders followed Leslie's troops back to their boats, mocking them as they marched
Marblehead Historic Images: A collection of old historical photos of Marblehead, MA. from my private collection (which includes photos, slides, glass negatives, postcards, books, stereo-views and more) [https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=29402404796]
Google books: 1880 The History & Traditions of Marblehead - Samuel Rhodes [http://books.google.com/books?id=ISsWAAAAYAAJ]
LDS Genealogy - Marblehead Genealogy (in Essex County, MA) - Many good links! [http://ldsgenealogy.com/MA/Marblehead.htm]
Vital Records of Marblehead (Births, Deaths, Marriages)
Early Vital Records of Massachusetts - From 1600 to 1850 (The Massachusetts Vital Records Project) - A seemingly high-quality transcription of many records including those of Marblehead.
Bisson/Bessom/Besome Jean Le Gros Bisson (1695-1772) http://www.guernsey-society.org.uk/donkipedia/index.php5?title=Family_tree
Marblehead Unitarian Universalist Church Cemetery http://www.uumarblehead.org/Graves.shtml
The history and traditions of Marblehead - By Samuel Roads [http://archive.org/stream/historytradition00road/historytradition00road_djvu.txt] On the first day of January, 1637, a meeting was held at Salem, and a vote of one hundred and twenty pounds was ordered, of which eight pounds were to be assessed upon the following inhabitants of Marblehead: —
- 140 Moses Mavericke, 20 Samuel Gatchell,
- 150 Wm. Steephens, 15 John Bennet,
- 40 Archibald Tomson, 15 John "Wakefield,
- 20 Wm. Charles, 10 Erasmus James,
- 20 John Heart, 80 Thomas Gray,
- 50 John Peach, 50 John Devereux,
- 10 John Lyon, 30 Nicholas Mariott,
- 20 Anthonie Thatcher, 10 Abraham Whitehaire,
- 30 John Coite, 5 George Vickary,
- 20 Richard Seers, 5 John Russell,
- 10 Richard Greeneway, 5 Nicholas Listen,
- 20 John Gatchell, 5 Philip Beare.
Marblehead Museum & Historical Society http://marbleheadmuseum.org/ including map of Marblehead 1850 http://marbleheadmuseum.org/ArchivalDocuments.html
Marblehead Family Genealogy Web Pages http://marblehead.essexcountyma.net/genelinks.html
- PEACH Genealogy of Marblehead, MA part of the PEACH Home Page which features many links to other Peach family web sites and mailing lists.
- SWETT Family Genealogy Part of a web page featuring the Swett family from many locations, it includes details of the branch from Marblehead, including photos of historic artifacts and in-depth genealogy for families throughout Essex County.
- MAVERICK web site - includes information on Moses Maverick(e) of Marblehead
- WILLIAM WALTON and ELIZABETH COOK of Marblehead - great web page with wills, court records and extensive history on multiple early MA families.
- WILLIAM HINES (HINDS) of Marblehead, MA
- Descendants of ISAAC ALLERTON
- Descendants of ISAAC ALLERTON another great site for Allerton information.
- JOSEPH LAMBERT genealogy
- ROBERT and ELIZABETH MANSFIELD - five generations including those from Lynn, and Marblehead
- WILLIAM ALTON and his descendants of Marblehead
- GETCHELL Lineage
- The descendants of RICHARD SEARS of Marblehead
- DOLIBER, PEACHES, ORNES, GOODWIN, DIXEY families - articles in back issues of the Marblehead Magazine online series on first settlers of Marblehead.