Frankenthal (Pfalz), once third capital of the Palatinate, is today as an emerging and vibrant regional center in the metropolitan area known Rhein-Neckar. The straightforwardness of the city and its central location to know the nearly 50,000 residents as their guests alike appreciate.
Surrounded by fertile fields, orchards and vineyards, sun-drenched Frankenthal has a feel that combines the enjoyment of nature and modern living harmoniously.
Optimism, vitality and openness characterize the city as its inhabitants. In addition, life pulsates in numerous clubs and associations, sports and games.
For a comprehensive look back at the Jewish History of Frankenthal you may link to this site: http://www.juden-in-frankenthal.de/
For information regarding the cemeteries in the region you may link to this site: http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/wachenheim_friedhof.htm
Additional general information regarding Jewish Communities in Baden is available on the internet from the High Council of the Jewish Religious Community of Baden in Karlsruhe. Baden is region of present day Germany. It includes the larger cities of Mannheim, Heidelberg, Karlsruhe, Baden-Baden, Emmendingen, Freiburg, and Konstanz as well as smaller places today like Eppingen, Pforzheim, Kippenheim, and Mullheim. In 1862 there were 24,099 Jews living in Baden. Baden today is in the Baden-Wurttenberg administrative part of Germany. There is a Baden Emigration index created by Wolfgang Muller. Marx does not seem to appear in this unfinished index at this time.
Frankenthal - A brief look at the town history that unfortunately does not mention any Jewish presence starts here. Frankenthal, modern and forward-looking city in the Vorderpfalz, has a long history. Since 1577 years, the municipality is the city, and since that time characterize urban life and bustle of their development.
It was October 29, 1577, at the Count Palatine Johann Casimir of the fledgling congregation gave the city rights and thus in the circle of the other cities of its Pfalzgraf shaft, which included the offices of Kaiserslautern, Neustadt, Alzey and Böckelheim, recorded.
Das Bild zeigt die Ruine der Kirche St. Maria Magdalena des Augustinerchorherrenstifts Groß-Frankenthal It is first mentioned Frankenthal. In a document of the Lorsch Abbey from the year 772 The village was Frankish origin and was then still directly on the Rhine who relocated his run only in the 9th century to the east In 1119 the Worms nobles Erkenbert founded in Frankenthal an Augustinian Canons, which soon developed into an important religious, cultural and economic center for the entire region. Remains of the abbey church are still preserved today. Since the building of the congregation after the Reformation were empty, she put Elector Frederick III. 1562 Dutch refugees who had their homes because of their reformed faith must leave available. The young church, under whose members include many painters, gold-and silversmiths, Gobelinwirker, textile manufacturers and merchants were, prospered rapidly and finally got on that October 29, 1577 the city rights.
The valuable document on the municipal rights are written down, consists of twelve sheet of parchment. She is in possession of the city archives Frankenthal and will be exhibited in the urban Erkenbert Museum. It consists of three parts, in which firstly the order of ecclesiastical affairs, on the other hand, the composition and appointment of the secular government from the mayor on the court aldermen and councilors to hold office constable and the Rottmeistern and finally the ceremony are controlled by privileges. Among other things, John Casimir gave the young city in 1000 florins to build a canal to the Rhine, freed the inhabitants of any tax for the export of "grain, wine and cloth" and issued all tariffs on goods of your own life needs. The "birth certificate" of the city closes with the words: "This is affirmed to witness with our pendant seal and added to Kaiserslautern, October 29, after Christ, our dear Lord and Saviour birth in 1577sten year, John Casimir, Count Palatine".
Das Bild zeigt eine Ansicht der Festung Frankenthal aus dem Jahre 1645 Late 16th and early 17th century Frankenthal was expanded into one of the strongest fortresses on the left bank of the Palatinate. The city was therefore quite inevitable in the turmoil and struggles of the Thirty Years War and the Nine Years' War and was sent in September 1689 by French troops on fire and almost completely destroyed. But the decline was followed by new growth. Frankenthal, for some time the third capital of the Palatinate, was in the 18th century to Fabriquenstadt of Elector Carl Theodor. More than 20 factories emerged, one of which in particular, which was founded in 1755 Frankenthaler porcelain factory acquired special significance. Their products are traded as valuable antiques dotted unf found in numerous museums around the world.
From 1798 to 1815, Frankenthal was under French administration and was capital of the canton. After the Congress of Vienna, the Palatinate was Bavarian, but Frankenthal long remained a "small country town" as one contemporary observer once wrote. It was only with the industrialization of the mid-19th century it became a new upswing. It started with the sugar factory, the enstand 1843. Through the foundation of Albert, KSB, KKK and Bettinger & Balcke in the years 1859 to 1899, the city developed rapidly then an important center in the metalworking industry.
Das Bild zeigt die Frankenthaler Zuckerfabrik im Jahre 1890 During the Second World War Frankenthal was indeed badly damaged and lost much of his earlier baroque buildings, but the city was quickly able to return to their economic and urban traditions in the 50s and 60s. Today Frankenthal is a thriving, cosmopolitan middle center, which has its own historical and cultural traditions of preserving identity preserved.