Originally opened by the Stanley Steam Car Company in 1896, the plant was acquired by Maxwell-Briscoe in 1903 from the Ingersoll-Rand Drill Company. In 1913 Maxwell-Briscoe became just Maxwell. Separate portions of the complex were acquired by Chevrolet in 1914 and 1915. At this time Chevrolet was an independent company and not yet part of General Motors. In 1918 Chevrolet was integrated into General Motors. Its last vehicles produced were GM's first generation minivans. These were the Chevrolet Lumina APV, Pontiac TranSport, and Oldsmobile Silhouette. It was closed in 1996 when production of minivans was moved to Doraville Assembly in Georgia. Metro-North Railroad's Hudson Line runs through the property, and some of the siding tracks that used to serve the factory have been taken over by Metro-North as overflow storage tracks for Maintenance of Way equipment.