Priorities- South African Tree Cleanup - Focus to Reduce them GREY Private Profiles

Started by Private User on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
9/13/2011 at 3:44 PM

Hi All

We've managed in general to clean up our merges, tree conflicts and matches and we have one more aspect of frustration in our tree that I believe we can begin to solve by focussing together - as we did before. This time the focus is on the GREY - Private Profiles. This one is simply more complex and I expect will take a little more time to work through so I've created a project to help:

http://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-Stamouers-Progenitors-Fo...

The project is brand new and will develop over the next week or so, but anyone interested may want to join so long to participate...

Private User
9/14/2011 at 2:56 AM

What a great idea. I don't think its going to be easy however.
In the past I have sent emails to family members asking them to open a profile that they manage without any success.. The general feeling is they don't want anyone changing their data.
Any suggestions would be great.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 4:01 AM

Heather, thanks for joining the effort. There are many reasons for these kind of situations and I think it will be good if we list them and help address them through this project too. I will add something to the project page.

As far as I can see we have roughly the following categories:

1) Inactive User - User just haven't used Geni for some time.
2) Active Users who don't know their profiles are causing this kind of problem. They don't know how to check and probably need some help to think about what the privacy means and how they want to set their own.
3) Active Users who set them private on purpose as they don't want anyone changing "their" data. There could be many reasons, but mostly it is a case of a user not appreciating or understanding the concept of Geni fully nor the implications of their actions for others.

Any others?

I firmly believe 2 & 3 we can solve with appropriate communication and targeted assistance to give users a better understanding. This project will hopefuly help us to better identify who they are and provide a mechanism to communicate more effectively by pointing users to the project.

It would be nice if anyone could give a first go at a "Template email" we could use?...

Private User
9/14/2011 at 4:42 AM

and older users who start with geni and forget to search for the button where they can tell what information they like or NOT to get everyday in their usual MAIL-box. I have had real war with some of my family-members and just a month ago there was a relative I'd found further away who said sad: I JUST DON'T WANT ALL THIS RUBBISH DAILY in my post-office. So, if you invite new relatives, be sure they are intelligent enough to look at the top of the home-page, where you can find your own profile and where there are PLENTY possibilities to change to contact-communiction-terror American-ICT-architects think that also European like...... but be sure: my family does not at all, that why we hate Facebook and other world-wide-spy-platforms.

groeten van Jeannette uit Holland -that's in Europe, you know?

9/14/2011 at 5:45 AM

Thanks -jMu- about the whereabouts on Holland. Now I also know where my ancestors came from!!

9/14/2011 at 6:01 AM

Groete Jeannette from africa.

9/14/2011 at 4:59 PM

Hi Mauritz, Great idea this and I am certain with patience and appropriate communication as you said above, those grey private profiles can be cleared up a bit. I have been confronted by a string of them - quite close family connections and there is no real reason as far as I can see for them to be thus.Yes, I'd like to participate and thank you.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion