When Family Finder or another Autsosomal Test Is Best

Started by Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) on Saturday, February 25, 2012
Showing all 3 posts
2/25/2012 at 11:19 PM

Here's an example of where an autosomal / X chromosome test is a good first choice. I had a lot of information about my mother's ancestors so chose not to do the mtDNA test yet. I have no brothers and my father is dead. I had very little information about my father's ancestors. I could trace my father's maternal grandparents back to numerous Suwalki - Lomza families (Poland / Lithuania). But I had no information on my Frankel great great grandfather (my grandmother's grandfather). I had found a family in another district that looked like it might match my father due to the patterns of given names and because I knew my gg grandmother had family in that area. There was no other way to confirm the hypothesis that this family was indeed my gg grandfather's family except through a test that provided me with matches that might be on my father's side. I was lucky that a family who had Frankel ancestors from that area had contacted me after I posted on a Jewish Gen SIG. So I did the Family Finder test through Family Tree DNA in August 2011. Within a couple of months, I found that my top match by far was the proven descendant of the Frankel family I had hypothesized my gg grandfather belonged to. We have subsequently had four of us tested and every one of us Frankel descendants match for a significant block on a particular Chromosome. This is a true success story.

2/26/2012 at 10:46 PM

What a great story, Hatte! It shows how finding living relatives with more information can help remove the roadblocks.

The same sort of testing could help Scandinavians. Many of them adopted surnames so late, and the paper genealogies don't always go back very far. But, many times the people in the parish belonged to one huge extended family. Finding a couple of relatives in a particular village can be a huge clue to our ancestors.

2/27/2012 at 10:19 AM

Yes, this is something that people may not realize until they start to do Jewish genealogy. In Lithuania, surnames were not stable until the 1800s, probably around 1840 and afterward. And even then names were changed both in Europe and of course when families emigrated. So genetic genealogy is almost a must. It sounds like the Scandinavian may have the issue that the Jewish population does, that it's hard to pinpoint how one is related, even with a DNA overlap, because of it being a small, closed community and there being marriages between the same families over and over.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion