Who put two step-children on my Father's Family Tree? He had NONE!

Started by Patricia Ann Machovec on Monday, April 23, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 28 posts
Private User
4/23/2012 at 10:51 PM

Which profile?

4/24/2012 at 2:28 AM

I understand your problem, but its the same with my second great grandmother: Petrine Olsdotter Ytre Steinnes

According to geni she had five stepchildren, all born after she was dead and after her husband married their mother.

Im not sure if geni is possible to make a general rule for this..
Its probably a complicated programming to do this, but what do you think Bjørn?

Private User
4/24/2012 at 2:53 AM

Thanks for the example.
I have raised this problem in a curator discussion.

I have checked if we have the same fault for divorced people, and luckily we don't. An ex-wife's son is listed as that: Your ex-wife's son.

4/24/2012 at 4:18 AM

My father's profile ...Stanley James Krumrey Charles City Iowa
Tim Katcher and Terri Brennum were born to my mother Veronica Roethler Krumrey Katcher and my step father Ivan L Katcher after my father was killed in a car accident when I was only 4.

4/24/2012 at 7:26 AM

Patricia Ann Machovec The problem is easily solved. Your step father Ivan L Katcher needs to be entered as a husband of Veronica Roethler Krumrey and the parentage ov Tim Katcher and Terri Brennum needs to be changed. Veronica's profile is private so either the manager Valerie Ann Koenigsfeld or a family member needs to change things.

4/24/2012 at 7:35 AM

Patricia Ann Machovec If you don't know how to do this, send me a private message.

4/24/2012 at 8:10 AM

Hello Eldon! How is that going to change their relationship?
If you take a look at my example: Petrine Olsdotter Ytre Steinnes The stepchildrens mother is entered as married to my second great grandfather. So how does this solution work?

4/24/2012 at 7:00 PM

I have sent this Valerie Koenigsfeld two messages through your site and get no reply. I am determined that this will be changed! Is there another method of getting in touch with her since I am not a member and can not change things. I have no idea how this got done or who gave this information in the first place...but I do know I have three living Aunts (his sisters ) that are not any happier than I am!

4/24/2012 at 7:38 PM

David Widerberg Howden I'm sorry, I don't understand Norwegian, but it seems she only has one husband. Are they her children, or her husbands children by another wife?

4/24/2012 at 8:17 PM

Patricia Ann Machovec Another solution is to make your own profiles.You are already there so add your mother, father and stepfather, then add the children to the correct father. Also add your aunts. Geni will suggest matches to the profiles and when you agree, the problem will be solved

4/24/2012 at 11:09 PM

Hello Eldon!

My great grandmother had only one husband, but her husband was married three times. She was his first wife, and got three children with her. And he got five children with his second wife.

So as you write her stepchildren is her husbands children by a second wife. Everything is correct, correct parentage and correct marriagedates.
-Theres no facts that could be changed to make her husbands children not her stepchildren.

Petrine died in 1897, and her husband married second with Anna in 1899, when his second wife died in 1928, he married third with Andrea in 1930.

His third wife is according to geni is stepmother of Conrad(son of the first) but he died in 1929(before she was married to his father) Same is true with his brother Ingward, who died in 1922. None of these ever knew theyr fathers third wife..

4/25/2012 at 6:36 AM

David Widerberg Howden I can't see the relationship tab on the husband but the tree looks like the wives are out of order.

4/25/2012 at 8:38 AM

Hello Eldon Lester Clark theres no problem with the relationships, they are both dated (marriage and death) and with numbers... But I agree that it can look a little strange that closest connected wife is his third wife..
To me its not a big deal, but for parts of the family it might be..

4/25/2012 at 9:45 AM

David Widerberg Howden This might be a problem for Geni customer service to solve.

4/25/2012 at 12:09 PM

Yes, I think so to, I trust that Bjørn and the curators will solve the problem.
(Its probably a programming-job) But thanks for trying ;)

4/25/2012 at 4:12 PM

David Widerberg Howden You do realize that Bjorn and the other curators are not Geni employes or customer service don't you?

4/26/2012 at 9:54 AM

No longer a problem....I have more than happily removed Patricia Machovec, her sister and father from MY tree!!!!!!!!!!

4/26/2012 at 11:12 AM

Eldon Lester Clark Yes I know ;) But they have more than often the right connections and collaborate with other curators who often find a solution. But this is not a big issue for me.... There other things more important.

4/26/2012 at 11:47 AM

David Widerberg Howden My point is there may be a Geni problem that needs to be fixed and customer support is the place to report it

4/27/2012 at 4:24 AM

I am so happy that I am no longer related to people that believe they are related when in fact they are not! When trees are being made, the facts should be verified before making them.
It just is not right for people to assume relationship and make them public on the internet.
If this is the case anyone could THINK they wanted to be related and just add the names. Sooner or later someone will be in big trouble doing this.

4/27/2012 at 7:11 AM

I just want to state, once and for all, all of the relationships I entered WERE correct. It is simply that Geni, for whatever reason, cannot distinguish that any time a person is married more than once and has any children, that they are not automatically step-parents/step-children. If care had been taken to look at dates etc., I'm sure this would have been recognized. I do not appreciate that I was called out publicly simply because I have a life and didn't read and respond to an email in less than 24 hours. I believe that if in the future if you run across any issues in any tree you send that person an email AND allow them enough time to investigate and respond. Then, if it is not solved, go to customer service. We now both agree that I have changed MY tree (not your father's) and we are happy we are not related. That being said, this discussion needs to end!

4/27/2012 at 8:09 AM

Agree, theres nothing done wrong in the registration. As my example shows, this could happen no matter how right the data and facts is. This is a problem that only geni and the programmers can solve. So as Eldon pointed out I will contact Customer Service..

4/27/2012 at 8:23 AM

@David Widerberg Howden, your offer to contact Customer Service, although appreciated, is not necessary. I am sure you have better ways to spend your time. Unless of course, this issue has caused you difficulties, such as with your Great Grandmother - great pictures by the way!

4/27/2012 at 3:21 PM

Hello Valerie! Its no big issue to me, but it could be a issue that geni should be able to fix. I like to collaborate to make geni better, so its no problem to contact Customer service, everything that can make geni better is good ;)
I have no real problem in who is called stepmother or not.. But everythng can be better and more correct ;) I just have to find out how to contact Customer service...

4/27/2012 at 3:42 PM

David Widerberg Howden customer service from the help menu or Customer Service

4/27/2012 at 3:51 PM

Thanks Eldon ;) I searched for it, but couldnt find it..

Message is now sent..

4/28/2012 at 4:56 AM

I understand that people marry more than once and have children by different fathers, but this should be researched in depth before it is put on any website for the public to view? Valerie do you have Ivan's other three children on your tree? They were also from a wife previous to my mother? You were not specifically called out mainly because I had never visited this site before and could not believe what I was reading and you obviously were the only one that could change it. It might be a good idea to allow other family members to edit a profile as needed to prevent this from happening. I also do not have the time to be here all of the time to try to correct things and had no further recourse than to try to get this changed as soon as possible. In the future please read before you write. Thank you!
I also want to thank you Eldon Clark because you were so helpful and polite with all of the turmoil. I appreciate your expert help and advise.

4/28/2012 at 6:37 AM
Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion