Hungerford Family - establishing correct information (3) Walter II de Hungerford

Started by Private User on Saturday, June 2, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
6/2/2012 at 2:24 AM

The 3rd project discussion is about Sir Walter de Hungerford, I

The aim is to establish the most accurate information about him that is available with sources if there are any other than uploaded trees that can be found extensively online. These quote other trees as their source - often repeating impossible dates etc.!

Presently -
Born: circa 1186, Heytesbury, Wiltshire, England
Died: Heytesbury, Wiltshire, England
Married Lady Hawise de Quincy, Countess of Oxford daughter of Saher III de Quincy, Magna Carta Baron, Earl of Wincester and Margaret de Beaumont, of Groby

Children

Sir Walter Hungerford, II
Grace de Stourton

Any information regarding sources etc. would be welcome in our quest for the best information available!

Private User
6/2/2012 at 6:49 AM

As far as I can establish Walter II de Hungerford was not married to Hawise de Quincy. I have removed the relationship - should anything come to light that confirms the relationship we can restore the connection.

2/20/2013 at 7:17 PM

has anything more been verified? I have a line to Walter de Hungerford and one to Hawise de Quincy m de Vere. The lines are close in time and location...

Private User
2/21/2013 at 12:42 AM

Sorry Melissa - been busy elsewhere but will get back to this. Have you and information to verify details?

2/22/2013 at 7:13 AM

June,
Only that my lines include Hungerford and Vere; I noticed her in two places. And both from around Hampshire. No proof but I'll keep trying when I've time.
Melissa

2/23/2019 at 6:08 PM

I'm in the same boat with regard to looking for supporting documentation that Hawise was married twice, and Sir Walter Hungerford II died without issue... Looking forward to finding out what the connection is.

2/25/2019 at 7:02 PM

I'm whacking my head around the net and libraries to prove that Hawise married any other persons than Hugh. I don't think there's any real legitimacy to these family lines other than Hugh's. If that is the case, we need to detach @Richard de Harcourt and @Sir Walter Hungerford, II from this line. Any thoughts curators and managers?

2/25/2019 at 11:49 PM

Private User Can you take a look at this gnarly Sir Walter Hungerford, II who seems to have himself as a son, narrative says “Marriage before 1280 to Maud de Heytesbury” but tree shows married to Lady Hawise de Quincy, Countess of Oxford ?

Jim Weber’s database is pretty reliable & it matches the profile, so perhaps there have been merge errors

https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweber&id...

Cuzzin Ñoño Can you look at revisions and see if there are merges to undo ?

Private User
2/26/2019 at 12:29 AM

Yes - had a message this morning. Am on Granny duty today asked Anne Brennan to look as she has done some work there. There are sourced details on the Project - will look when I am free to go into it in depth! I couldn't see a merge error

2/26/2019 at 11:28 AM

Kewl. Erica: Yes, I'll check it out as soon as I get my cough under control. That time of the year. June: Granny duty takes precedence. :)

2/26/2019 at 6:48 PM

Geesh, now I'm really confused after looking into the de Hungerford family listed in The Complete Peerage Volume 4, page 276. It seems that the Hungerford lineage did not begin until 1426 beginning with "Sir Walter Hungerford, of Farleigh, co. Somerset, 4th but 1st surv. s. and h. of Sir Thomas H. of the same (Speaker of the House of Commons) by Geva, or Joan, da. and coheir of Sir Edmund Hussey, of Holbrook, co. Somerset; suc. his father, 3 Dec. 1398; distinguished himself pre-eminently in the wars with France, being Admiral of the Fleet in 1416; was Sheriff of..." lalalalalalalalala...lala. [sigh!]. The Hungerfords do not appear to exist in the 1100s as far as I can see, but their connection to the de Quincy family is also not founded therein. Once again, for those wanting to go over the Hungerford line in Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and The United Kingdom Extant, Extinct, or Dormant... Volume IV, refer to specifically pp. 276 -278 and broadly pp. 186 - 292.

I'm going to look into other sources to figure out where this connection between Hawise and Walter prior to coming onto the GenI.com stage. I will need help with this from the GenI.com side.

2/26/2019 at 6:55 PM

"IV. 1221. 4. HUGH (DE VERE), EARL OP OXFORD, and Groat Chamberlain, s. and h., b. about 1210 ; sue. to the peerage in Oct. 1221, having seisin of his lands in Essex, Suffolk, and Cambridgeshire, 23 Oct. 1231 ; knighted by Henry III., 22 May 1233 ; served as Chamberlain at the Coronation of the Queen Consort Eleanor, 20 Jan. 1236 ; did homage tor his mother's lauds at Bolebec, &c, Feb. 1245. He m. after 11 Feb. 1223, Hawise, da. of Saber (DE QUINCY), EARL OF WINCHESTER, by Margaret, da. ot Robert (DE BEAUMONT), EARL OF LEICESTER. He d. Dec. 1203 aud was bur. at Colne Priory. His wife or widow d. 3 Feb. [—.](h)" - Complete Peerage, Volume VI, p. 163. This is all I can find on Hawise so far.

2/26/2019 at 6:59 PM

Here's a nice resource on the Hungerford family: < https://media.geni.com/p13/94/d2/50/c9/53444839ccf72145/2010_the_hu... >. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect Hawise with them at all.

2/26/2019 at 9:52 PM

Based on notes in profile Hawise was married only to Hugh de Vere, 4th Earl of Oxford

I’ve disconnected her from extra husbands and locked relationships.

Walter Hungerfords real wife needs to be re created & fitted in, it looks like.

2/26/2019 at 10:14 PM

Found Maude de Heytesbury and put her back.

There had been a Walter ll & lll mixup somehow and she got lost in the shuffle.

2/27/2019 at 10:06 AM

I think that’s appropriate action based on the sources available. Thank you!

Private User
2/28/2019 at 12:27 AM

Thank you Erica Howton - it always amazes me j=how things get muddled!

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion