NN father of Joshua 'Jesus' Gamla / Gamaliel - Two Gamaliels

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, January 7, 2013
Showing all 3 posts
1/7/2013 at 1:49 AM

Having found this excerpt in the Jewish Encyclopedia - I wondered whether the Gamaliel referred to, might not be Rabban Gamliel I, Hazaken, and this Joshua 'Jesus' an unacknowledged son, in addition to the more well-known one, Simeon:

"Jesus (Joshua) b. Gamaliel (Gamla) received the high-priestly dignity. A strife ensued between the deposed and the new high priest; they insulted each other in the public streets and even threw stones at each other (ib. § 4), but Jesus b. Gamaliel remained the victor."
Schürer, Gesch. des Jüdischen Volkes, 3d ed., i. 584, ii. 220.
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/8911-joshua-jesus-ben-damnai

1/7/2013 at 1:49 AM

@Yigal replied "I am not at all convinced that Raban Gamliel the Elder, who was from Jerusalem, and lived in Jerusalem as the President of the Sanhedrin in named Gamla - a town in the North east of the Kingdom - in the Golan Heights. Also - no evidence from the Jewish Encyclopedia that we know more than two of his children: a daughter (no known name) and a son Shimon ben Gamliel. No mention of a third child Joshua (Jesus). Most probably Joshua's (Jesus) father was another Gamlial (Gamla) - quite a common name."

1/7/2013 at 1:52 AM

I agreed with him, so am just logging that discussion here in case anyone else ever notices the Gamaliel coincidence, and it would help to be able to see that we already talked it through and decided it wasn't valid.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion