The Competing George Hubbards of Colonial Connecticut

Started by Private User on Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
5/29/2013 at 11:28 AM

We're mixing up our George Hubbards of Connecticut again. :)

One George Hubbard, of Hartford was born in England in 1601 and married Elizabeth Hubbard (Watts) in Hartford in 1640. You can read a little bit about this George and Elizabeth at http://books.google.com/books?id=TW4Vz7T8zxwC&lpg=PA31&ots=... and http://www.foundersofhartford.org/founders/hubbard_george.htm

The other George Hubbard, of Wethersfield was born and died around the same dates, but he lived in neighboring Wethersfield, *not* Hartford. This George married Mary Hubbard (Bishop). Again, this George is *not* the one who helped found Hartford.

The bios and families of the two Georges are all tangled up again, and it's wreaking havoc on the colonial Connecticut lines. The fact that we also have George Juniors in the mix doesn't help. I'm also finding duplicates of their wives and daughters attached completely different Hubbards, which aren't even showing up as matches (a good/bad thing), so the consequences of the confusion are widespread.

So the Hubbards will be my next big project to work on untangling. In the meantime, as I try to wrap up the Vermont lines I'm already working on, I thought I would put this here to a) remind everyone to please be careful with your George Hubbards and b) encourage others to consider helping out.

As a word of warning: Please do *not* use Internet genealogies when working on this family. That is the number one issue with why these trees keep getting so messed up. This is a clear case of why primary sources are so crucial in genealogy.

CCing Private User and Private User because I think you guys also work on Hubbards and might want to be kept abreast of this stuff.

Private User
5/29/2013 at 11:33 AM

I should add: I just put "of Hartford" and "of Wethersfield" in their display names. As much as I don't like the way it looks, I feel like we need to do everything we can to help people separate the two, so it's worth a shot for now.

5/30/2016 at 3:30 PM

I did Some research at Family Search.com for records of his parents and his birth and his Marriage to Mary and came up with nothing. When I did a search in Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut about any death records or not that might have I found something else though not the death records I was looking for. What I did find is Birth records of Connecticut Births and Christenings, 1649-1906 of what I believe to be George's Children. I can give you the online link to these records here:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2SD-HWB

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2SD-FP2

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2SD-16D

These are the only children record information that matched up to New Haven records though. So take a look at them and see if you think they are valid or not and use that as your source reference for there record of birth for those children.

I got a smart Match from Geni.com for George and I am going to copy past it here for you :

George Hubbard

WikiTree
FREE

Birth: Circa 1594 - Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England

Death: Jan 1683 - Guilford, CT

Parents: Rev Edmund Hobart, Margaret Hobart

Wife: Mary Bishop

Children: William Hubbard, Samuel Hubbard, George Hubbard, Abigail Hubbard, Hannah Hubbard, Sarah Hubbard, Mary Hubbard, John Hubbard, Mary Fowler, Elizabeth Norton, Daniel Hubbard

Siblings: George Hubbard, Reverend Peter Hobart, Rebecca Bangs, George Hubbard, Nazareth Hobart, Edmond Hobart, II, Peter Hobart, George Hubbard, Elizabeth Hobart, Nazareth Hobart, Rev. Peter Hobart, Nazareth Hobart, Nazareth Hobart, Edmund Hobart, Peter Hobart, Thomas Hobart, Alice Hobart, Anthony Hobart, Edward Hobart, Joshua Hobart end of Copy Paste.

This Match Gives George a set of Parents as Rev Edmund Hobart, Margaret Hobart. Hobart being the name Hubbard was derived from. As stated in George's Profile it says his parents are unknown. Is it possible that these are his parents Wiki Tree is correct and documentation is correct there at Wiki tree and that information can be entered into George's Profile? The Rest of the information in Smart match matches up to what you all read have just the parent thing is outstanding for your verification. With your Approval we can add this parent information and also the birth information on the children of George that I provided you with those links I gave above for them for you to look at to see if it is correct or not.

Stephen Earl Davis

5/30/2016 at 3:36 PM

Birth Place of these children are: MILFORD TWP,NEW HAVEN,CONNETICUT. Not sure if that Jives with you information on there birth place or not but again it for you to decide if these are correct children or not base on the information you have.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion