This is a place for all men who served as members of the General Court of the Colony of Connecticut during the 1636 - 1776 period, before it was replaced by the Connecticut General Assembly (which remains today).
The seat of the Court was originally at Hartford, then began alternating with New Haven when that colony merged with the Connecticut Colony.
Other information will be here when someone adds it!
- The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut (1639) is usually considered the first written constitution in Western tradition and served as the basis for much of the United States Constitution, hence Connecticut being known as "The Constitution State"
- The General Court was suppressed following the ascension of Andros and the Charter Oak incident
- The original seal of the General Court featured grapevines, in reference to the southeastern part of the colony having a winemaking trade; the seal and state flag have continued to have vines
- It is common to see the body referred to as the General Assembly as early as the 1700-1710 decade, though the name had not yet officially changed