Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
Private
6/9/2013 at 8:56 PM

married Catoneras (Catherine) the Matinecock Indian, daughter (or sister?) of Asharokan, not Wyandanch the Montauk. . Their son was JanCorneliszen Van Texel (1625-1704) eentually of Tarrytown on he Hudson. Sometimes father and son are confused from lack of knowledge of the Dutch patronymic, "sen". Since there were no more children, I would guess that Catoneras died soon after he birth of Jan Corneliszen in 1625.

6/10/2013 at 12:03 AM

Hi Thomas, and thanks for the message. I have quite a bit of information on this family. Will get it organized, and entered online but it will take me awhile.

Private User
11/27/2021 at 2:37 PM

I see a reply on Catoneras' profile on FamilySearch for the father coming from the administrator of the Montauk Indian Nation Website 26 Apr 2017:

'Be forewarned that the connection between Cateronas and Wyandanch is a myth that has been thoroughly debunked. The official position of the Montaukett tribe is that Cateronas was a Matinecock Indian'

With that in mind, they had at that time changed the preferred father for Cateronas to Sachem Asharoken Mattinecock.

Cateronas herself became a Sunsqua and is one of two female Sachems recorded for Long Island.

You can also refer to this article published by the Long Island Historical Journal: http://lihj.cc.stonybrook.edu/2010/articles/in-search-of-catoneras-...

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion