34th IAJGS Conference Salt Lake City

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Monday, December 2, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 21 posts
12/2/2013 at 9:20 PM

Greetings,

The 34th IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy will take place in Salt Lake City from July 27 through August 1, 2014, If you would like to learn more about the conference, submit a presentation or computer workshop proposal, sign up for the conference blog or discussion forum, or make hotel reservations at our special conference rate, please visit the conference website, www.iajgs2014.org.

While the program committee will consider all submissions, we have identified some focus areas in which we are especially interested. These include Genealogy and Jewish History related to World War I, Jews of the Western United States, Technology in support of genealogical research, Immigration and migration over the ages and Ethical considerations in genealogy.

The conference will kick off one day shy of the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I (Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia on July 28, 1914, one month after the assassination in Sarajevo of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria). Many of us have ancestors who served in the armies of the various nations engaged in this conflict. The War and subsequent fighting for control of Eastern Europe devastated much of Europe including the Jewish heartland in the Pale. It stimulated a wave of Jewish migration and resulted in the Balfour declaration, calling for "the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people". If you would like to submit a speaking proposal related to the "War to End all Wars" please do so.

Whether you wish to be a speaker or not, we invite you to submit family stories and pictures from this era for sharing. You will be able to do so once conference registration opens in one month. So, start gathering your stories and pictures now.

Hope you have been having a terrific Thanksgiving and Chanukah. We look forward to seeing you in Salt Lake City this summer for a world class genealogical learning experience.

Hal Bookbinder, co-chair
34th IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy

12/4/2013 at 6:36 PM

I haven't gone in a few years, and I specifically boycotted the conference last time it was held in Salt Lake City, but I think I'm going this year.

Who else? Maybe we can have a birds of a feather meetup?

Best,
Mark

12/4/2013 at 7:00 PM

Definitely thinking of going and would love to meet you in person :)

Private User
12/5/2013 at 4:44 AM

I have submitted four program proposals, including a panel discussion on Crypto-Judaic Research.

Schelly

Private User
12/5/2013 at 5:35 AM

I'm hoping to go as well! This year was my first conference and I loved it!

12/5/2013 at 9:25 AM

I have had a paper in mind since last July, I'm just not sure it's panning out perfectly. I have a co-author and the subject is cool.

12/5/2013 at 9:27 AM

I had wanted to go to the conference on Cypto-Judaic ancestry in the West or Southwest this year.

12/5/2013 at 5:01 PM

I've submitted a proposal for a presentation: Ethical Genealogical Challenges. (@Mark Melmed, also not happy w/ the venue).

12/6/2013 at 5:23 PM

@Schelly Talalay Dardashti, I think this year they are looking for programs on Crypto-Judaism.

Private User
12/7/2013 at 8:21 AM

@Mark Melmed - I am in contact with my very good friend Sandy Malek of JGSLA, the program chair, and suggested several programs, including a panel on CJ research. She was delighted.

The Society for Crypto-Judaic Studies conference in 2014 will be in Dallas the weekend before SLC. The call for papers is out now (I am a board member of the SCJS and presented in 2013 on the Cervera Archival Project in Spain). A great conference, as is IAJGS.

Private User
12/7/2013 at 8:22 AM

I will also be also there as US Genealogy Advisor for MyHeritage.com. Daniel Horowitz - MyH Chief Genealogist - and myself usually staff the booth.

12/8/2013 at 11:05 AM
12/9/2013 at 4:50 AM

I would very much like to get there... despite the distance.

Mark Harold Melmed - we would finally get to meet !

12/9/2013 at 7:25 AM

Pam Karp The world class hotel venue, and location 2 blocks from Temple Square, & Family History Library is certainly appealing and intriguing. https://www.lds.org/locations/salt-lake-city-temple-square?lang=eng#d

12/10/2013 at 7:02 AM

@Schelly Talalay Dardashti: Will there be Geni.com reps as well, or will you be representing them too? I'd like to discuss some ideas with Geni.com reps (I'm sure many of us would).

Private User
12/11/2013 at 6:32 AM

@Mark Melmed. There are usually some Geni people there, although it may be too early to say who. @Adam Brown or @Randy Schoenberg can perhaps answer that?????

12/11/2013 at 12:25 PM

I am most likely going to the conference.

12/11/2013 at 4:51 PM

I am trying to arrange my schedule so I can come again to the conference. Adam is planning on coming, I am sure. There will certainly be a large Geni presence.

12/11/2013 at 5:45 PM

I should have phrased it better. I meant to ask if anyone will be there officially representing Geni.com as a company.

12/12/2013 at 5:03 PM

Last time it was just the curators representing Geni.

2/4/2014 at 2:45 AM

I plan to be there.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion