Richard Plantagenet, 1st Earl of Cornwall / "King of the Romans" - Richard Plantagenet, 1st Earl of Cornwall / "King of the Romans"

Started by Donna Jane Avery on Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 42 posts

I would appreciate help in the fact that Richard Plantagenet, Ist Earl of Cornwall is my Great Grandfather, father of Walter de Cornwall, his mother was Joan de Valletort /de Bath (mistress of Richard). His father is John Lackland another Great Grandfather, but I also have John Lackland's son Henry III, King of England as a Great Grandfather, my problem is John Lackland has two of my Great Granfathers but Geni is only recognizing Henry III, and it says that Richard is my 24th great uncle, how do I get both Richard and Henry III to show up as my Great Grandfathers?

Thank you,
Donna Avery

I am sorry Donna, I too have this problem. I do not understand how this works. And sometimes someone is my great grandfather the next time it is my uncle. I wish I could help.

I would encourage you to follow Justin Swanstrom's instructions he is the best fact finder and clue responder I know of.

I have had the same problem i would follow Justin Swanstrom advise he is the best Judy Rice

Donna Jane Avery

Please check your Geni messages

I have read the page Justin gave the link to but to a none expert it can be puzzling.
Most probably it a question of "parent conflicts" that "affect a path". If you follow down the tree to you at a certain point you will see a yellow triangle meaning there is a parent conflict and then the machine can't choose which path is right.

Private User

As I am only a Basic member i can't comment on Donna's specific issue but i hope that you as a Curator understand that there are many reports from many Geni users of different pay grades and experience levels that show that the Geni pathway calculator has serious bugs which have nothing to do with Data Conflicts nor any other issues that can be resolved by users.

By all means users should check there trees for faulty connections but there remains issues with paths in even the best tended branches.

By all means users should check THEIR trees...

Alex

I'm afraid in every case brought to my attention within my very limited competence range to address, I have found what JF Antoine said to be true.

There has "always" been at the very least an outstanding merge

Then - the server caches relationship paths for the long lines for quick retrieval.

Then - the calculations taken by the computer "may not match" the user expectation of what you will see. Which does not mean the path is "wrong" "or" buggy, just not doing what you want it too.

My suggestions:

- use the HistoryLink tool
- (and as you do do) post a link to where the problem is so it can be addressed

Erica,

Can we agree to disagree?

I know my own P-line and have "walked" it many times in the past four years, it has no issues other than a confusion of cousins marrying each other.

Berent Hendriks Moes is my fifth great grandfather and displays as such.
His father, Hendrik Harms Moes , displays as my "first cousin four times removed's wife's second great grandfather".

The "error" is then consistent in all older ancestors, meaning that any relationship path in that portion of the tree beyond my 5th ggf is most likely being displayed wrong, i have no idea how these paths display fo other users.

I have tried every trick and suggestion from various well meaning users but nothing (including patience) has changed the situation described.

It is my only real disappointment with Geni.

So while JP's opinion is quite posssibly correct in 99% of cases it is not in mine, perhaps i am the exception that proves the rule? I simply want it "on the record" for people like Donna that have a similar issue that it may be beyond their control.

Please prove me wrong and fix the "issue" with my P-line, please, please, please! You know me well enough to know that i will apologise publicly and prolifically if I am proven wrong and i will be eternally grateful to see my 8th ggf displayed as such.

I'll put it on the plate. There's a server cache somewhere is my guess. And I won't go above 10 gens. To expect a long line to be picture perfect in this dynamic environment is a false expectation, particularly since a calculation is "not" a static report, in IT we used reporting applications to meet that need.

Alex Moes fixed it.

Err, only for your 6th and 7th GGF. Eighth has a stuck cache.

Jonathan Scott Krengel are you staff?

"Hendrik Harms Moes is your first cousin four times removed's wife's second great grandfather."

6th ggf still displays wrong, i'll check again in an hour or two.

Shows correct for me here: http://www.geni.com/path/Hendrik-Harms-Moes+is+related+to+Alex-Moes...

Not staff, just a combined computer and genealogy geek.

When i follow that link it shows correctly as you say but going straight to the profile, Hendrik Harms Moes still displays (on my screen at least) as "first cousin four times removed's wife's second great grandfather".

The relationship calculator *hates* cousin marriages.

Especially when you get two or more in the same generation and both/all of them are direct ancestors.

It will pick one path, possibly at random, and configure the others in terms of that path ONLY.

And occasionally it just goes totally crazy.

Alex the path is cached on your workstation. Clear your cache.

Now - I visited the 5th gg thru the pushpin tool and got it correct, and the little recalc icon on the upper right hand corner (visit the referenced project photo galleries for the screenshots I painstakingly took) shows, meaning that the server needed refreshing.

For those who still use mice, there is a way to hover your mouse over that icon and see a time and date stamp, I believe that's the last time the path was calculated. I've never tried because I know who my 6th gg is without needing Geni to tell me.

So - then it gets worse, I go the next step in the tree, and I see

Hendrik Harms Moes is Alex Moes' first cousin four times removed's wife's second great grandfather. (recalc icon)

Let's see what happens when I press it.

Erica,

It did not help, i deleted cache only, what about cookies?

I deleted the cache in Chrome only, is there a background cache on the PC itself? IE is installed but i never use it should i delete its cache too?

We can look at the step by step pictures I suppose. They are numbered. I am not good enough at embedding images into Wikitext but I think you can get the idea by following the numbered images

http://www.geni.com/photo/view/363677820350011581?album_type=projec...=

Now we are cross posting and it will get confusing.

but any PROGRESS is good :)
"Hendrik Harms Moes is your 6th great grandfather."

But i still get the garbled path to his father.

None of these profiles is giving me an option to refresh the path, i do know what the symbol looks like and i do see it occasionally even tho i am a Basic account holder but it is simply not present for these profiles

The recalc is done.

Hendrik Harms Moes

Hendrik Harms Moes is Alex Moes' 6th great grandfather.

That's right Alex, I believe Geni may "not" present the "refresh & recalc" option to basic users, however I am unsure of this.

Yes i get the same but further generations are still "screwy", can you "re-calc"
ggf 7 and 8 too, pretty please :)

8th ggf is top of the tree.

the rule controlling refresh must be more nuanced than that, i do see it occasionally, usually associated with other users but not always.

Now - it's not "sticking.". If you use the history link tool you might be able to figure out what other relationship path it is preferring over this one, and I suspect there "will" be a conflict in it you can resolve; that's exactly what happened when my 7th gg became my 8th great uncle.

Alternately, there is cache work on the Geni servers; and they periodically run updates and indexing. I have walked paths, recalculating each step, and seen it revert like this before, but a week or two later it finally sticks.

I'm done for the night. Jadra is much better at this than I am and there are no flies on Jon Krengel either.

I suggest following the screen shots and having more patience.

Berent Hendriks Moes is the problem. You should check this area thoroughly, perhaps there was a recent merge.

Showing 1-30 of 42 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion