Hendrina Smit - African mtDNA (L5) a puzzle.

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, September 22, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-85 of 85 posts

I'm curious re: Private User's L7a via Hendrina Steenkamp versus Private's L0d via Johanna Tol. My grandfather was L0d, my cousin Private User is L0d too. I'm curious how L0d compares with L7a. Especially in terms of its "uniqueness".

Reading the article, the emphasis appears to be on "the oldest singleton branch in the human mtDNA tree". I take that to mean Private User's line has a unique mutation not shared by the other lines. Am I correct this is typical of lines that developed/diverged in isolation i.e. perhaps abrupt (geographical?) isolation, where the other lines continued to develop unabated?

A branch with few sub -branches.

L7 more than 80 000 years separate from other L mtDna.
Not necessarily in isolation at all , often iliving amongst others but yr mtdna or y- dna does not get blended in by living amongst others. Not like nasturtiums or poppies being polinated by bees.

Its rare because not that many descendants not undeveloped.

Problem again not enough people have tested yet.
We need more to test to get a better picture.
My own y-DNA R-U106 not related to any other R-U106 living tested -- a single branch back to origin of R-U106 .
Look at how many Mackenzie males share same R-M269 haplogroup and very closely related.

L7 does have subclades so there are more than one branch ; the oldest mtdna described in 20 years.Not necessarily the odest. A recent discovery in private tests at FTDNA previously unknown. Not yet discovered or detected outside Africa .
But early days as originally first LO discovered in Asia but traced back to Africa subsequently.

FTDNA are so keen to move this forward, that they are offering free MtDNA tests to anyone directly descended from Hendrina Smit/Smith...I'm also still trying to find her parentage, & wondering if anyone has directly (female line) descended from Margaretha Steenkamp 1715-60, & married to Floris Smit/Smith had a mitochondrial test done..This could confirm or exclude that line of ancestry...

Wow, that's interesting. I'll take a look too..

So, even autosomal DNA descendents, Danielle?

https://www.geni.com/list/dna_from?dna_test_type=at&focus_id=6000000009375637665&living_status=living&remove_test_takers=true

We could start a project and collectively target all of these individuals. Recommend testing to all of them. :D

3054 individuals, not taking into consideration potential zombies etc.

I'm trying to alert mtDNA descendants here - https://www.geni.com/discussions/251987?msg=1573557 - but there are more than I expected :-/

Can get it down to 68 living individuals if we filter for L7a and living status=living:

:-)

I've uploaded the longer article for people to look at: https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000186005154834

Excerpts:
African mitochondrial haplogroup L7: a 100,000‑year‑old maternal human lineage discovered through reassessment and new sequencing.
Here we describe L7, an eighth haplogroup that we estimate to be~ 100 thousand years old and which has been previously misclassifed in the literature. In addition, L7 has a phylogenetic sublineage L7a*, the oldest singleton branch in the human mtDNA tree (~80 thousand years)....

The~80 kya relict sequence L7a* from a primarily European woman of South African matrilineal descent is very intriguing. It exposes the process of lineage extirpation, either due to tens of thousands of years of low Ne, or a recent bottleneck (or both). Given that there is<1% detectable sub-Saharan ancestry in the individual, and the next closest sequence is 80 kya removed, it is imprudent to speculate about the history of this lineage. With time and intensive sampling in southeastern Africa, it is possible more L7a* sequences will be discovered and will help resolve the mystery.
PaulA. Maier1,2,6*, Göran Runfeldt1,6, Roberta J. Estes1,3,6 & MiguelG.Vilar1,4,5,6

It is just the mitochondrial descendants Sharon, but I've just seen the great work you have done, in finding & uploading all those applicable..Thankyou!

:-)

Drummond Corrie too - he did the recommended testing work. Jolly impressive. Hope something comes out of it :-)

Thankyou Drummond..Really appreciate all your work; & as Sharon says: Hope something comes of it!

Willem Eugene Basson has tested...One down more to go!

That's so exciting. Well done Willem Eugene Basson :-)

On Branch 1: the mother to daughter etc line descendants of

• [[Johanna Sophia Bock, c2 Johanna Sophia Bock, c2] Johanna Sophia Steenkamp 1757]
    • ******[[Adele Jeanetta Main Adele Jeanetta Main] Adele Jeanetta Main] RECOMMEND TESTING
      • *****[[Private Private] Andrew Michael van Someren Boyd] RECOMMEND TESTING
        • ***[[Private Private] Adriaan Lyell] RECOMMEND TESTING
          • **[[Private Private] Alex Lyell] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • *[[Private Private] George Lyell] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • [[Private Private] Johanna Gertruida Mouton] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • [[Private Private] Johanna Maria Mouton] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • [[Private Private] Johannes Jacobus Mouton] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • [[Philippina Wilkinson Philippina Wilkinson] Philippina Wilkinson] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Brent James WIlkinson] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Dale Philip Wilkinson] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Ross Donald Wilkinson] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • [[Private Private] Jan Hendrik Crafford] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • [[Private Private] Johanna Maria Crafford] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • [[Private Private] Dawid Francois Crafford] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • *[[Private User Private User] Helen Margaret McArthur Taylor] RECOMMEND TESTING
                • [[Private Private] Bruce Vivian McArthur Taylor] RECOMMEND TESTING
                • [[Private Private] Gordon James Taylor] RECOMMEND TESTING
                • [[Private Private] Stuart Douglas Taylor] RECOMMEND TESTING

On Branch 2: the mother to daughter etc line descendants of

On Branch 3: the mother to daughter etc line descendants of

• [[Maria Jacoba Visagie, c7 Maria Jacoba Visagie, c7] Maria Jacoba Steenkamp 1767]
    • *****[[Private Private] Henna Nel] RECOMMEND TESTING
      • ****[[Private Private] Rita Nel] RECOMMEND TESTING
        • ***[[Private Private] Izak Nel] RECOMMEND TESTING
          • **[[Private Private] Hermien Visagie] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • *[[Private Private] Aletta Visagie] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Andries Visagie] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Izak Visagie] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Johanna Visagie] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Thomas Richard Visagie Thomas Richard Visagie] Thomas Visagie] RECOMMEND TESTING

On Branch 4: the mother to daughter etc line descendants of

• [[Johanna Lavina Steenkamp Johanna Lavina Steenkamp] Johanna Lavina Steenkamp 1777]
    • *****[[Private Private] Ansie Smit] RECOMMEND TESTING
      • *****[[Private User Private User] Lizelle Cloete] RECOMMEND TESTING
        • ****[[Private Private] Albert Ferdinand Grobbelaar] RECOMMEND TESTING
          • **[[Private Private] Tiaan Heyman] RECOMMEND TESTING
            • *[[Private Private] Abranda Kruger] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Stephen Maurice Jonker] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private User Private User] Danielle le Marais] TESTED L7a
              • [[Private Private] Honest Basson] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Leon Basson] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Willem Eugene Basson Willem Eugene Basson] Willem Eugene Basson] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Jakobus Prinsloo] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Johan Prinsloo] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Hannelie Prinsloo] RECOMMEND TESTING
                • [[Private Private] Thehan Goosen] RECOMMEND TESTING
                • [[Private Private] Theodor Goosen] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Philippus Prinsloo] RECOMMEND TESTING
              • [[Private Private] Martha Maria Prinsloo] RECOMMEND TESTING
                • [[Private Private] Francois Seegers] RECOMMEND TESTING
                • [[Private Private] Sunet Seegers] RECOMMEND TESTING

My pleasure Private User; piqued my interest. Pleased to know Willem Eugene Basson has tested. Same branch as you, both descendants of Josina Christina Marais.

Hello Drummond..Yes he is my cousin..The son of my mother's sister, Marilla Marais Basson

Are there any updates on this discussion?
Especially the results of the testing!

None so far that I know of.Unfortunately.

Showing 61-85 of 85 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion