Big family

Started by Ben Albert Slyns (Schluntz) on Thursday, December 11, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts
12/11/2014 at 9:01 PM

On checking out the people on the first six pages on the public discussion site, I found I am related to 21 of them.
I am also related to kings and queens in over 12 countries, most are many times great grandfathers and grandmothers.
My family tree goes back over 2000 years to Gapt, Progenitor of the Amals?
As you can imagine, I'm a little skeptical.
How many family tree's go back that far and how accurate would they be?

Ben Schluntz (Slyns)

12/11/2014 at 9:13 PM

A perennial favorite question.:)

Trees are not really trees. You can diagram here

http://www.geni.com/projects/HistoryLink/14021

If you build a chart you will see how lopsided it is. Some of your lines will "top off" (no further information) very quickly, some will go to Gapt & further back.

What to believe? My father says he's my father & my mother my mother. Further back than that I have no personal knowledge. And they could be lying & really have found me under a mulberry bush ...

12/12/2014 at 5:34 AM

Thanks Erica, my 26th cousin twice removed. I take it from your response, I would have a hard time trying to reclaim any the thrones?
Being related, I would assume you would also be related to the people I mentioned earlier going back 2000 years?
I'm curious to know how many people who read this will find they are related to me.

12/12/2014 at 10:32 AM

I haven't been invited to Buckingham Palace yet. :).

When I look at a Geni relationship path, I try to identify the common ancestor(s) and check, for correctness as best I can, "my" side of the slope.

Ours looks to be: Knut Folkesson Bjälboätten

That family group is a connector between descendants who ultimately settled in different geographic directions. How valid? I'm no expert in the first millenium! But on the Scots side I've tried to help ensure the Geni tree is as accurate as possible. Always a work in progress ...

12/13/2014 at 3:00 PM

Ben Albert Slyns (Schluntz) generally speaking in Nordic genealogy, most ancestral lines stops around the 17th century. To get further back you need to get into the families of the nobility, clergy, royal or of the govermental workers before getting back to the 17th century. If not you will not be able to trace your ancestry in the Nordic countries. To get through 1350 and back to the viking age, there are only a few proven lines, and if you aren't part of these lines, that all have high position in the society, then you can forget getting through the medieval time.

On Geni, like on any other internet site with genealogical information, you should not trust the links between people without there being sourced information, and then preferably by primary sources.

Private User
12/13/2014 at 3:18 PM

Ben Albert Schluntz (Slyns) is Ulf Ingvar Göte Martinsson's 19th cousin four times removed!

http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Ben-Schluntz-...

What I can see, we share Birger Jarl as a common grandfather,
on my side this is verified, the people that have lived, whom they
married, the names on their child etc.
Jarl Birger Magnusson (Folkungaätten)?

If You still want to be sceptical, that's up to you, but you can always
start all over with your name, your father, mother and try to do
your absolute best with there parents and so on to see if you then
would come to any other conclusion.

Private User
12/13/2014 at 3:26 PM

I am by the way both Birger Jarls 18th grandson, and 24th.

Göte Ivan Martinsson is Birger Jarl Magnusson (Folkungaätt)'s 17th great grandson!
http://www.geni.com/path/Birger-Jarl-Magnusson-Folkunga%C3%A4tt+is+...

Birger Jarl Magnusson (Folkungaätt) is Ulf Ingvar Göte Martinsson's 24th great grandfather!
http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Birger-Jarl-M...

12/14/2014 at 1:32 AM

hej ulf. jag är med ättling till birger , först och främst via örnsparre. åsa

12/14/2014 at 1:33 AM

if it is noble you can find far away, believe me

12/14/2014 at 1:37 AM

the line to birger for me is through the noble line of bröms among other people. they are noble for the dynasty of Bröms and in the end is greger birgersson and birger jarl. this a common knowledge. do not tell us what to believe. birgers line to robert II for instance is very sure, according to swedish riddar hus. starting to get angry at some ignorant people

12/14/2014 at 2:55 AM

Folkungaätten was the strongest in the country, as Birger Jarl had managed to wipe out (behead) most competitors. The top echelon was small and linked through marriage. Gregers Birgersson belongs to the "fake" Folkungaätten. My wife is 18th grandchild to Birger Jarl through Gregers Birgersson. If you are related to Birger Jarl, you will find a large part of the Swedich nobility in the tree.

12/14/2014 at 3:27 AM

ja, torbjörn, min ana är släkt med greger birgersson, birgers oäkta son . skriver mer senare. åsa

3/10/2015 at 10:58 AM

Imagine my surprise when I found out (according to Geni) that I am a direct descendant of Charlemagne, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henry II, William the Conqueror, Carl Birger, and many other kings of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. These are historical figures that have fascinated me all of my life, but now I am descended from them?
In the 1600s I have connections to nobility and clergy in Sweden and Denmark. I suppose this exotic descendancy may indeed be true then?

3/10/2015 at 2:56 PM

Diane Lindquist Antrim you should research the links for truthfullness, specially those that are unsourced or have doubtful sources. In Norway you can only get back to Sverre I, King of Norway before him everything is doubtful and really shouldn't be a part of our genealogy. The same goes for a lot of other lines here on Geni. So you to find out if it is true or not, you can't trust whats on Geni when it is unsourced, but you need to do the research yourself or get someone to do it for you.

3/11/2015 at 7:03 AM

Remi Trygve Pedersen My research has taken me back to the noble family of Mannerstedt in Sweden and some intermarriage with other noble families in Denmark in the 17th century through my paternal grandfather. I am also descended from Fredrick Bagge, and Elisabeth Wandelin, his wife, a famous figure in Sweden in the 17th century, (statesman, vicar, member of Parliament). Do I understand you correctly, that although I have researched those lines, that I cannot rely on the automatic connection made by geni.com to the world tree? If not, what's the point of the world tree and the curators that are documenting the historical ancestors and their lines? This is not a skeptical question, I really would like to understand how this works. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely, Diane

3/11/2015 at 7:13 AM

Remi Trygve Pedersen To clarify, for example, my 3rd great-grandparents were Charlotta Sofia Mannerstedt and Olov von Reis, both well documented families. I connect to these ancestors in the 19th century, (early 1800s). We won't talk about my born out-of-wedlock grandmother to a Swedish-Sami prostitute - ;)

3/11/2015 at 10:31 AM

Remi Trygve Pedersen I looked up Sverr I and I am supposedly related to him too. Third cousin, 23 times removed. Should I believe that? That is a serious respectful question. Many thanks for your response.

Private User
3/11/2015 at 11:13 AM

Baron Sigurd Haftorsson of Giske

har fått två fruar med likadana namn, "Ingebjørg Erlingsdatter Bjarkøy"
en sammanslagning som gick fel kanske?

3/11/2015 at 3:40 PM

Diane Lindquist Antrim the common rule in Scandinavia is that you can get into medieval if connect to a noble, clerical or statesmans family before you get back to 1600-1650. You need to be a part of these families to find earlier sources about them. A very few of these families can be traced through the Black death at 1350. I have been researching for almost 30 years, and I have only 1 family that can be traced back to before 1350, and that family's traces ends at ca. 1280. It's a bit easier in Sweden and Denmark since they had stronger nobility than Norway had, and therefore more sources about them.

I have no knowledge of the families you mention, so I can't really say anything about them.

If Geni, MH or any other online familytree is your only source for a link between two persons, specially earlier than 1600, and there are no mentioning of where the writer/owner of the information on the online site found his information, ie no sources mentioned, then you should consider the information untrustworthy and you need to check if the information is correct or not by finding trustworthy sources.

Not every curator is a genealogist, and we make profiles MP for different reasons. So a MP mark on a profile doesn't allways meen that all the information is correct. You need to read the curatornote and biography to see if the curator have written something about why the profile is MP'ed. If there is no note, then you should ask the curator whu the profile is MP'ed. Don't make the mistake of assuming that since the profile is MP'ed, then all the information must be correct.

About Sverre being your 3rd cousin 23 times removed, and should you believe it. Maybe/maybe not. I would need to see the line, but in general I would say yes. But on Geni you will also have links to Harald I "Fairhair", king of Norway and the truth is that there isn't a single person living to day that can prove him being an ancestor of him/her. And it is a loosing battle to cut all the paths from people living today and back to Harald on Geni, because like the time between 1st and 2nd world war, it is more important for some people to have the first King of a "united" Norway as their ancestor, then it is having a correct ancestral tree.

3/11/2015 at 3:56 PM

Private User da tror jeg det er ryddet opp i.

Private User
3/11/2015 at 4:11 PM

Tackar!

3/11/2015 at 4:40 PM

Remi Trygve Pedersen Thank you very much for taking the time for such a thorough response. It has helped me tremendously.

3/13/2015 at 10:45 AM

Very interesting to follow the discussions on this site! Thank you so much Remi Trygve Pedersen my 9th cousin twice removed :-)for interesting information! Geni says that Sverre1 Konge av Norge er min 26 grand great father :-)

3/13/2015 at 11:13 AM

Hi, Ben! You are my 25th cousin 2X - we share Boleslaw III Wrymouth Polski, Prince as a GGF. Gapt is my 53th GGF.

There have been only a small group of people on Geni that I have no connection with, since our ancestors all intermarried.

3/14/2015 at 12:12 PM

Remi Trygve Pedersen Just for fun, and a fitting conclusion to our discussion, you and I are 12th cousins, 4 times removed. We meet at Knud Jensen Måneskiöld, my 10th great-grandfather and his sister, Ellene Jensdatter Måneskjold.

Private User
3/14/2015 at 12:30 PM

Jens Henriksen Måneskiöld is also my 12th great grandfather,
he is one of the common forefather to us three, Diane, and Remi.

3/16/2015 at 3:22 AM

The icelanders have extensive genealogical records dating from the viking age to present age, which has been put into modern day records known as the Íslendingabók, people there can trace their lineage to Harald Hårfagre through some of his sons/daughters that went on to live in Iceland, in general history we take descriptions of events or other litterature from a thousand years back as being "real". Of course, how much we can trust any of our lineages can be doubted, but so can anything. Unless proven genetically, how do you know your grandfather is your real grandfather?

Private User
12/8/2015 at 9:49 PM

Lucius Pinarius Pinarius is your 69th great grandfather. Lucius Pinarius Pinarius
Birth: estimated between 145BCE and 91BCE
Immediate Family:
Husband of Julia Caesaris Major
Father of Lucius Pinarius Scarpius

Private User
12/8/2015 at 9:53 PM

I hLucius Pinarius Pinarius is your 69th great grandfather. Lucius Pinarius Pinarius
Birth: estimated between 145BCE and 91BCE
Immediate Family:
Husband of Julia Caesaris Major
Father of Lucius Pinarius Scarpiusave not counted, but there are those I have more than 12 ;)

Private User
12/8/2015 at 10:13 PM

I see it as a pictorial thing, like a "flow chart" The more links we add to it, the bigger the picture.
Obviously the further back we go, the more decedents that person would have, a communalative effect.
DNA testing can sure up some ? and then if the tree is built on records and not copying, it must be somewhat accurate.
The titled kept good records, so its logical that these lines will stretch the most.
There is a point where it turns to fantasy, I go back 30 generations usually, those records being by meticulous Dutch, Germans and Danes, I feel quite confident personally.

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion