Walter Light, of Radway Grange - Help me understand this will

Started by Erica Howton on Saturday, August 15, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 25 posts
8/15/2015 at 9:32 PM

The phrase is:

"John Murden, who is natural father to my said daughter Alice Washington and grandfather to the said children. ..."

From https://books.google.com/books?id=CaNCAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA396&ot...

Sounds to me like his late wife had a daughter Alice he "adopted", and everyone stayed friends?

There are more references in the profile overview and attached documents.

Thanks for the extra eyes on.

8/15/2015 at 10:14 PM

https://books.google.com/books?id=dzpKAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA750&lpg...

Shows Alice married twice. Once to Walter Washington and then to John Woodward. She has a will dated 20 August, 1642 I am trying to find.

------------------------

Walter Washington (Robert19, Lawrence12, John4, Robert3, John1) of Radway, Warr. Died 1597. Married Alice, daughter of John Morden alias Marden of Morton Morell, Warwickshire, by Katherine, daughter and coheir of Richard Marston of Draughton, Northamptonshire.
[355]

Issue:
74. John.
75. Katherine, married Thomas Stanton of Woolverton, co. Warr., Esq. Issue:
Thomas, born 1616.
Walter.
Alice, born in 1619.

Will of Walter Washington, of Radway in the parish of Bishop’s Ithington, in the countie of Warwicke, Gent. Being asked by his uncle, George Warner, to whom he willed his goods, he answered that he gave all he had to his wife and children. Witnesses: Richard Hill, George Warner, John Murdon, Catharine Murdon. Dorothea Caunt, Wodnefrode Brown. April 23, 1597. Admon, issued to his widow Alicie Washington. Cobham, 31 (P. C. C.).1

Alice Washington survived her husband, and married John Woodward, “who, I suppose was the eldest son of Thomas Woodward of Butlers Marston.”2

John Woodward of Quinton, in the co. of Gloucester, gent. 21 April, 1612, proved 13 May, 1612.

Item, I give and bequeath unto Thomas Washington gent. my wife’s brother in law, all that my pasture ground and meadow in Quinton, Glouc., for a term of one thousand years, he paying yearly unto Alice my wife, during her natural life one annuity of twenty pounds heretofore by me granted unto her, issuing forth of the said lands.3

Alice Woodward of Stratford on Avon, 20 August 1642, proved 22 May, 1647. To be buried in the church at Stratford near late husband John Woodward gent. To my son John Washington twenty pounds in six months. Bequests to grandchildren, [356] George, Elizabeth, Ann, Thomas and Katherine Washington, the children of the said John Washington, at their ages of one and twenty or days of marriage: also to grandchildren Thomas, Walter and Alice Stanton. Friend Thomas Wash, Esq.

Source:
http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/2418

8/15/2015 at 10:28 PM

ALICE WOODWABD of Stratford on Avon, 20 Aug. 1642, proved 22 May 1647. To be buried in the church of Stratford near late husband John Woodward gen'. To the poor of Woodstreet Ward. To my son John Washington twenty pounds in six months. Bequests to grandchildren George, Elizabeth, Ann, Thomas and Katharine Washington, the children of the said John Washington, at their ages of one and twenty or days of marriage : also to grandchildren Thomas, Walter and Alice Stanton. Friend Thomas Nash Esq. Fines, 112 (P. C. C.).

https://books.google.com/books?id=CaNCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA388&lpg...

8/15/2015 at 10:44 PM

http://www.sulgravemanor.org.uk/pages/62/the_second_generation.asp

Walter was deeded land from Walter Light. So how was Walter Light and Walter Washington related? Looking into this......

8/15/2015 at 10:50 PM

And here is the answer: Robert Washington was father to Walter. Walter married Alice. Robert married Elizabeth daughter of Walter Light.

ROBERT WASHINGTON, the eldest son of Lawrence the builder and Amy nee Pargiter, born in 1544, died 1620 aged 76. Inherited Sulgrave Manor when his father died in 1584 with about 1250 acres at Sulgrave, Stuchbury, Woodford, Cotton, Hardingstone, Blakesley, Patishall, Ascote, Eastcote, Lower Boddington, Radway, Horley and Hornton in Oxon.

Married twice, firstly, in 1565 to Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of Walter Light (Lyte) of Radway Grange, Warwickshire, and a descendant of the Villiers family. The marriage is recorded in the original glass panel dating from about 1580 in the Great Chamber window where the W arms are impaled with the Lyte arms:

As part of the marriage settlement Lawrence created an estate from two messuages (holdings) in Pattishill for his own, (L’s) use while Robert lived and after his death for the use of Elizabeth for life as her jointure. Use in this context usually means taking the revenue from rather than living in.

Does this answer the question?

8/15/2015 at 11:05 PM

Nope. :)

Was was Elizabeth (Light) Washington's mother?

Visitations say Ursula Woodford was Walter's wife, but Walter's will says the grandfather of the Washington children is his dear friend John Murden of Ratley.

Read also the letter to the DAR magazine in the profile.

8/15/2015 at 11:12 PM

Yes Elizabeth was Walter Washington's mother.

8/15/2015 at 11:30 PM

OK I think I'm getting the will now.

Walter Light is leaving to his GREAT grandchildren -

"Wherefore I do by this my last will and testament give and commit all my goods and chattels whatsoever to my well beloved friend John Murden of Ratley in the County of Warwick, who is natural father to my said daughter Alice Washington and grandfather to the said children, to the end and intent that when it is determined either by law or other ways what will become of the said two leases that then the said John Murders shall make such distribution, as well of the said leases as of all my other said goods and chattels, and other things aforesaid, my debts and legacies being discharged, between my said daughter Alice and her children, according to the discretion of the said John Murden ..."

Katherine Stanton (Washington) is Walter Light, of Radway Grange's great granddaughter.

John Morden is Katherine Stanton (Washington)'s grandfather.

8/15/2015 at 11:34 PM

(aside) something is wrong with this profile. Richard Pell

40 years younger than 1/2 sister.

20 years older than wife.

8/15/2015 at 11:34 PM

Alice Morden LIGHT adopted b: Abt 1574 in of Morton Morell,Warwickshire

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2707...

8/15/2015 at 11:35 PM

That is why he said "my daughter"

8/15/2015 at 11:38 PM

Just tagging the profiles discussed to this discussion so the documents are referenced also.

Ursula Woodford
Elizabeth Washington (Light)
Robert Washington, Sr., Esquire of Sulgrave Manor
Walter Washington
Alice Katherine Morden
John Morden

8/15/2015 at 11:40 PM

Alice Morden LIGHT adopted b: Abt 1574 in of Morton Morell,Warwickshire

OH awesome. That "totally" explains it. Can we show this in Geni?

8/16/2015 at 12:10 AM

Under her profile and the adopted and true parents?

8/16/2015 at 12:18 AM

If I am thinking right, I need to add an adopted profile of her under Light parents and add the text and source under her "real parents" and her profile also. Source under all the profiles with text.

8/16/2015 at 12:35 AM

Or just drop her onto the adopted parents & resolve the ensuing parent conflict to (drop down) bio / adopted. I'm not sure if Walter Light's wife was living at the time of adoption though.

I'll tag the will to her profile as a start.

8/16/2015 at 1:05 AM

Richard Pell married Margaret Tyrwhit and Ursula Harrison and Katherine Meeres. Katherine does not show up with this profile of Richard's.

8/16/2015 at 1:08 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one confused about the two Light / Washington daughters, they are confused here, too. But also charming!

https://books.google.com/books?pg=PA77&lpg=PA77&dq=walter+l...

THE HOME OF THE ANCESTRESS OF THE GREAT GEORGE WASHINGTON

Amongst the many associations connected with the charming little village Of Radway, both interesting and historical, is the connection that it had through Elizabeth Light with the direct lineage of the great George Washington. Her father purchased the estate in the reign of Queen Mary, and built the old part of the house called Radway Grange. Here his daughter’s girlhood and early womanhood were passed on the healthful slopes of the Edgehills, amid the natural beauties of one of the most charming specimens of English domestic scenery, till she was Wooed and won by Robert Washington of Sulgrave the eldest son of Laurence, the founder of the Sulgrave branch of the Washington family. She thereby became one of the direct ancestresses of the first President of the United States.

At the time of the English Civil War the Washingtons were living at the Grange, Radway, when at the battle of Edgehill the king’s centre marched down the hillside within view of the occupants of the quondom home of Elizabeth Washington. This property, however, did not remain many years longer in the hands of the Washingtons. Whether it was owing to the imposition of fines by the Parliament or to the decaying fortunes of this branch, as well as that of SulgraVe, John Washington sold his Radway estate about the year 1650. What became of him or where he lived we cannot discover, for no record of his death or burial can be found in England. ....

8/16/2015 at 1:20 AM

Do I need to tag the sources from the true Alice to the adopted Alice?

8/16/2015 at 1:26 AM

They are now one! So everything shows on the same profile.

I do not think Margaret Sutton was Walter Light's first wife; I'm seeing references to a Miss Wright instead. Leaving it for now because Ursula is proven via Visitation. Her death date is wrong: she was dead when Walter wrote his (confusing) will.

8/16/2015 at 1:30 AM

Thank you for correcting Alice's link to Ursala. I had it in the wrong place and was just about to move her until I looked. I will look at Walter's profile a little closer to see which wife (wives) he had.

8/16/2015 at 1:45 AM

I think Walter was born before 1525 and will research.

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle
Private User
8/16/2015 at 4:53 AM

I took a look at Richard Pell. Did you also notice he and his wife, Ursula Harrison have the same names as his father and his father's other wife? I tried to find information on his son, Timothy. I can't find any place online that gives parents for Timothy. Nor can I find Richard Pell, Sr. with a son Richard.

8/16/2015 at 5:26 AM

It sounds to me like you have the Alice/Alices figured out while I slept. :)

8/16/2015 at 10:04 PM

I think I found the right Richard Pell of Dimbleby who married Margaret Tyrwhitt. I have to research a little more. This Margaret had a father of Edward Tyrwhitt. Just have to put the pieces together and move/add profiles as needed when sources fall in place. Richard's parents were Thomas Pell and Alice Thorold. They had (Richard and Margaret) a daughter named Ursula.

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion