Thomas Porter, Sr. - Thomas Porter

Started by John Cosgrove Porter on Monday, May 22, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
5/22/2017 at 4:19 PM

Thomas Porter, born 1620, is listed as the son of John Porter and Anna Porter and the father of Daniel Porter (The Bonestter).

1. "The Descendants of John Porter of Windsor, Connecticut " does not list Thomas Porter as his son. Neither does the will of John Porter listThomas as an heir.

2. The birth year of Daniel Porter is listed as circa 1624 when Thomas would have been 4 years old.

Based on "The Descendants of John Porter . . ." and his will it appears Thomas cannot be his son. Similarly, given the fact that their birth dates are but 4 years apart Thomas cannot be Daniel's father.

Thomas and Daniel were contemporaries in Farmington CT - perhaps brothers or cousins?

5/22/2017 at 5:36 PM

I agree those connections seem incorrect ...
- Dr. Daniel Porter removed as child of Thomas Porter and Sarah Porter
- Thomas Porter removed as child of John Porter, II, of Windsor and Anna Porter

3/21/2022 at 7:12 AM

Found a source showing Thomas and Robert were brothers...it also suggests that Daniel (the surgeon) was also their brother. The document also states that Noah Porter III, President of Yale University in the 1800s, is a descendant of Robert.

Porter, Joseph W. (Joseph Whitcomb), 1824-1901. A Genealogy of the Descendants of Richard Porter, Who Settled At Weymouth, Mass., 1635, And Allied Families: Also, Some Account of the Descendants of John Porter, Who Settled At Hingham, Mass., 1635, And Salem (Danvers) Mass., 1644. Bangor: Burr & Robinson, printers, 1878.

3/21/2022 at 7:33 AM

Is there anything more recent? 1878 was a bad year for genealogy, long before American genealogy became more professional.

3/21/2022 at 11:45 AM

Having a hard time finding anything...Farmington CT Church records http://dunhamwilcox.net/ct/farmington_ct_church.htm
and the Digest of early CT Probate are really the only two places Ive found anything. besides the previously sited text.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Digest_of_the_Early_Connecti...

3/21/2022 at 8:27 PM

Jackson porter - which Porter are you most interested in? Easier to chase from now > then.

3/22/2022 at 6:51 PM

Thomas Sr. 1620-1697. Can confirm his male descendants to me. Just not where he came from or who his parents are.

3/22/2022 at 7:31 PM

He was a prominent guy and looks decently documented. Congratulations on making your way to him. Unfortunately, finding his English ancestry would be very difficult; part of why I said “prominent” suggests plenty have tried, which means pointing you at English parish registers probably won’t help.

You want to gather as much information as you can about friends, families, associates, and the history of the people / towns in New England. So reading substantially in the book you found will help with that picture, and any other Porter genealogies you can find. Be sure and chase citations, and check out AmericanAncestors.org, which is NEHGS. It’s a pricey subscription but you may get a clue from their free searches on offer. And, have you done Y DNA testing? I would think that may suggest origins also.

3/23/2022 at 3:47 AM

He just kind of appeared in Hartford. He definitely got there after the original group Who knows he could have been Dutch or Scottish.

3/23/2022 at 5:46 AM

Probably an English Puritan like everyone else. It was not an area and time of diversity.

My own Porter ancestor, on the other hand, who I can trace only as far as North Carolina around 1776, could well have been German origin - her husband was.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion